Author Topic: World Series TV Ratings  (Read 12790 times)

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: World Series TV Ratings
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
...Game 2 of the World Series ... posted a 7.9/14 household rating/share with 12.9 million viewers on FOX. The game was +8% in rating and +6% in audience over Game 1 on Tuesday (7.3, 12.2 million). The 8% game-to-game improvement is the biggest percentage increase from Game 1 to Game 2 in eight years.  That propelled FOX to easily win the night in primetime among Households and to win the night on Adults 18-49 for the second consecutive night.

Last year’s World Series Game 2 that aired on a Thursday featured the Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals on FOX scored an 8.3/14 national household rating/share and averaged 13.4 million viewers

Game 2 of the 2014 World Series currently ranks as FOX’s highest-rated and most-watched prime-time broadcast this season, and the network’s highest-rated, most-watched prime-time program since an edition of AMERICAN IDOL in February. On a live program basis, the World Series is tracking to rank No. 3 among all broadcast entertainment programs.

:dunno:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »
Are there as many kids playing baseball today (as a %) compared to 30 years ago? Is it "losing its luster" in states that experience cold weather?

I heard both the outgoing and previous MLB commish's in ESPN Radio in recent weeks and while they did discuss the regional strength of baseball they both extolled the need to gain traction in urban communities where baseball is waning dramatically . . . with noted exceptions like this years LLWS U.S. champion.   
Those Chicago kids were juicing this year at the LLWS. Don't tell me America doesn't care anymore.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
1985: 5 teams over 30k average attendance, 2 teams under 10k
2014: 15 teams over 30k average attendance, only 2 under 20k

DEATH SPIRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :runaway:
I'm not calling for the "death spiral" or anything but it's silly to compare attendance numbers from 30 years apart because a lot of babies have been born since.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »
And a few more teams? And a few more sports? And more colleges? And more people moving around the country and not living anywhere close to the team they grew up loving so they don't go to very many (any?) games?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
Dax doesn't like the Royals anymore because they were bad for a long time and now instead of swallowing his pride he's lashing out at baseball in general.  I feel horrible for him.  First he couldn't enjoy Frank Martin's success because of getting back doored and now he can't enjoy the Royals success.  When will this guy catch a break?   :frown:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
I'm starting to think Dax is just kind of a dumbass. Sad, really.
yeah, if it doesnt have to do with our expansions/electronic upgrades i just skim past his posts. its either board of regents crap or ku is hurting stuff and im tired on those subjects

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
yeah, if it doesnt have to do with our expansions/electronic upgrades i just skim past his posts. its either board of regents crap or ku is hurting stuff and im tired on those subjects

Congrats slim, of your nearly 6500 posts, that's about the 4th one I've actually read.
what were the other three?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
I enjoy most dax posts, some of you rubes can't take the heat

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

Congrats slim, of your nearly 6500 posts, that's about the 4th one I've actually read.
what were the other three?

I don't remember exactly, but the were pretty good.     :thumbs:
well thats good, sorry if i came off like a douche its not the posting its the subjects. the cats are in first and the royals are in the world series, just dont bother to mess that stuff too much right now. great for combo season tho

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »
Neither game has really been too exciting past the 6th inning. That could have something to do with it, no?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
hey kslim and dax, get a rough ridin' room already.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
I really don't think its arguable that baseball has fallen nationally. It's probably the 4th or 5th most popular sport option depending on the market. The NFL, college football, college basketball, and sometimes the NBA rank higher. That doesn't mean baseball is in trouble, it just means it's not the top dog it was 10-20 years ago.

Also, anytime it's a series for the championship it's not going to be great numbers anymore. Games 1-3 of a seven game series have little intrigue to the casual fan because no matter what there's still another game. Part of the reason the Super Bowl is such a big event is that there's no second chance, no reset button basically.

The fact this series is between the Royals and Giants also hurts the numbers. The Royals are a great story and much of the country is cheering for them, but that's not enough to get casual viewers, especially East Coasters, to tune in. I'd be willing to bet that before the playoffs, your average fan could only name a handful of players from both teams combined.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
I really don't think its arguable that baseball has fallen nationally. It's probably the 4th or 5th most popular sport option depending on the market. The NFL, college football, college basketball, and sometimes the NBA rank higher. That doesn't mean baseball is in trouble, it just means it's not the top dog it was 10-20 years ago.

Also, anytime it's a series for the championship it's not going to be great numbers anymore. Games 1-3 of a seven game series have little intrigue to the casual fan because no matter what there's still another game. Part of the reason the Super Bowl is such a big event is that there's no second chance, no reset button basically.

The fact this series is between the Royals and Giants also hurts the numbers. The Royals are a great story and much of the country is cheering for them, but that's not enough to get casual viewers, especially East Coasters, to tune in. I'd be willing to bet that before the playoffs, your average fan could only name a handful of players from both teams combined.

0% chance college basketball is more popular than Major League Baseball

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 03:14:49 AM »
I'd be willing to bet that before the playoffs, your average fan could only name a handful of players from both teams combined.

I still can barely name a handful of Giants players. Maybe 3. (Pence, Lincecum and Bumgarner).

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »
Baseball is a regional game with extreme regional appeal. It's long, it's complicated. There isn't much room for the mouth-breathers who are your typical NFL fans.

I like it that way.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »
Frankly, I don't care what the ratings are. All I know is I can watch my Royals compete for a championship.

The Big Train

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 12:54:56 AM »
i give zero fucks about ratings for this WS.  good for the ratings people when the yanks and sox play, good for them.  what matters most is the fans of the actual team, the ones that have been through the crap and dragged through the mud year in and out.  if you dont like the rating, dont keep them, greedy fucks, pretty much every sport should be centered on the fans that support that team.  so if this turns out to be a bad "viewership" series, so rough ridin' be it.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:10 AM »
TV ratings don't mean as much as they used to. Between Internet streaming and DVRs the numbers are distorted now.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 01:58:46 AM »
I haven't read any of this thread so far so maybe its been said already but baseball, as it is currently, struggles to get fans to watch a game who don't have a rooting interest. In football, you can get any jackhole to watch a 3.5 hour Minnesota Vikings v. Detroit Lions game on a monday night. In the mlb even hardcore fans tune in and tune out of the world series if they don't have a team.

It wouldn't be such an issue if MLB wasn't held up to the ratings expectations of the NFL because viewership of MLB is healthy, its only in comparison to the NFL (as is every sport in the US) that its looks paltry.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 07:07:24 AM »
It's a different world now.

In the 80s how many football games were even on TV? A couple NFL games on Sunday, 1 on Monday night, and maybe 1 or 2 college games on Saturday? Now it's hard to imagine a world were you could only watch 5 total football games in a week.

And all of this is fine. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with baseball. I know I've had more fun watching baseball this year than at any other time in my life.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
It might be because ESPN isn't carrying the WS.

Ya think?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 08:14:04 AM »
It might be because ESPN isn't carrying the WS.

Ya think?

Yet, on almost any other day when the MLB was playing WC, DS, AL/NLCS or WS games the scores etc. etc. had a prominent place on the front page of ESPN.com.   Yet on the day the NFL is simply playing regular season games, of which none were carried by ESPN yesterday.   ESPN.com's front page didn't even recognize that a WS game was even being played,  you had to click on the MLB link.   I'm pretty sure ESPN radio carried the WS games last night and there wasn't even a link to ESPN radio coverage like their normally is.   

ESPN must have realized they were totally ignoring it and now it's their first article on the right. And 2nd main tab in the center.

ESPN!!   :shakesfist:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »
I've already mentioned that luke.

QB Roar in Week 8
Earnhardt Wins
Saints Roll Packers
Big Ben 522 Yards

oh

Giants Win Game 5

sad...
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
Dax is so weird

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 12:34:18 PM »
Did the LSU/Ole Miss game have a higher rating?