Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148674 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
i think one of the personal problems suzie hinted at was that one hot blond setter has a massive crush on ol' clams and i just won't call her back b/c i'm too busy hangin w/ my buds playing xbox and stuff.

sorry boys

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
#firesuzie

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »
author=ednksu link=topic=15182.msg680807#msg680807 date=1354234343]
:flush: completely awful mercy killing to end the season

And I really think MiR is wrong about what it takes to achieve this level of success in volleyball. 

What the eff does this mean?
Sorry I'm a bit distracted.

In your previous post you put a lot of effort in explaining to Dax the level of success Fritz has had.  I'm not going to get into top tier WVB teams because the parity systems in any women's sports are so out of whack.  I think to be a solid second tier team that collects a conference champ every 5 to 8 years or so requires less than you expect.  I'm honestly not sure what other teams have that we don't to preface my points.  We now have a dedicated facility, although its not glitzy does have some good attributes. I don't know what access the WVB team has to various training facilities.  I'll assume they have the run of Ahearn?  That seems like a fair enough foundation for a good second tier team.   I would say there is a significant amount of coaching up players to make wins.  I think your explanation of why KU is able to give us stiff competition and in this year dominate us, twice, shows this talking point is weak.  Now I will grant that you can't coach em up into league titles yearly or compete with the PSUs of the WVB world consistently.  Are we than talking about coach pay to retain or get the best coaches?  Maybe you could speak to the pay scales here.  I would suspect there is a significant gap between the first tier teams and the second tier teams.  I don't know where Fritz's pay would fit into that hierarchy. 

Anyways, just some thoughts.  As you put it, a fine mercy killing for this season.

K-State V-Ball has a nice dressing room and players lounge.   There have been multiple upgrades to Ahearn:  new seating, paint job, scoreboards, they got a new court a few years ago.   Certainly a very fine facility for Volleyball has been created.   

We should expect more than that embarrassment this afternoon.

I'll address dax' post first since it appears once again to be a troll, because frankly you are smarter than this.  It is painfully obvious that you haven't seen any of the facilities you are touting.  Did you seriously list a scoreboard that is more limited than some high school boards and some purple paint on red benches as improvements that should help the program?  Stupid and you know it.  That dressing room upgrade improved dressing rooms that were 50 years old.  I've seen our facility and others.  Instead of assuming that we have a "very fine facility" I'll tell you firsthand that we have an okay facility.  Ahearn is good simply because of the fans and they are there because we've won consistently for 15 years.

Even if we had amazing facilities that has no correlation to on field results and you know that, absurd for you to attempt to.

Edn, there isn't a second tier program that wins the conference every 5-8 years, those are top programs.  If you know of a second tier program in volleyball, let me know.  I can't think of one in basketball either.  We are firmly in the second tier.  We have been a top 20 team for 15 years.

Money is important for not only head coaches salaries, but for assistant salaries and most importantly recruiting.  Our budget is okay, we are absolutely out performing our peers in this regard.

I have no idea what you meant by your KU point.  They beat us this year because they are better.  I don't know what that has to do with the state of the program.  Their coach, Ray Bechard, has been at KU for 15 years and this is literally the first season hes been better than KSU.  You'll have to explain that analogy to me.  Are you proposing we strive to their lack of long term success?

Like I said before, why would you not only fire but even consider firing someone who has consistently out performed her peers.  She's fourth in the history of the conference in wins, the program is third in conference history in wins.  How confident are you that someone could match that?

As far as today goes, I'd love to know what is going on behind the scenes, that completely turned this season around.  We looked like final four contenders, now they are as bad as I've seen a K-State team ever.  Suzie said earlier in the week that some players had some personal stuff, I know of one, but certainly it isn't causing this, I don't think.  Anyway I'm glad this season is over so we can move on to spring ball & next season.  Can't believe we're at this point.

Excuses, excuses . . . just part of the K-State "we're just happy to be here" culture . . . and I've paid plenty of attention and I know that Ahearn is very near, or on par with a number of top volleyball facilities, and no, I don't count schools that play inside their basketball arena.  Penn State has a decent volleyball gym, but it was built in 1928 and they share it with four other sports.   It's not that much better than Ahearn on any level. 

It's just good old K-State, never win anything significant and give it a good try and most K-Staters are perfectly happy.

Run out of the gym by not even receiving AVCA votes Northern Iowa is pathetic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2012, 12:43:25 AM »
Dax you don't watch volleyball, you know nothing about the K-State program or any other.  You're speaking in generalities for a reason, I have no idea why I'm entertainining this stupid conversation.  Like I've said many times you're only happy when you're miserableble.  Just like the old ass muppets bitching from the balcony you should just keep bitching from a barstool from a Wild Wings hundreds of miles away.

If you ever make it back to Manhattan check out a match, enjoy that wonderful purple paint that recruits love.  If you are lucky maybe you can walk on that carpet put in the locker room a few years ago, that carpet put us over the top.  Its amazing how much you sound like beems talking out of your ass but too hard headed to shut the hell up.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2012, 06:03:28 AM »
The bottom line is this, significant effort has been made over the years to keep K-State Volleyball up to speed with quality facilities.   I knew Ahearn prior to volleyball getting all of those improvements backwards and forwards and back again, I spent day after day after day in there.    I believe Volleyball now occupies either the former men's basketball offices or the former AD's offices, which used to be the nicest offices the K-State athletics had, and I believe they've  just recently been remodeled.   Offices that at the time K-State volleyball moved into them, other Volleyball programs would have killed for . . . many of them occupying offices akin to broom closets.    The volleyball dressing room and players lounge is multi-fold times nicer than the old K-State Mens basketball dressing room.  (again, we're talking about Volleyball here, a sport that LOSES money).   Offices, players lounges, dressing rooms, new courts, pay raises, increased budgets etc. etc. etc.

Drummed out of the NCAA tourney in the 1st round by Northern Iowa.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:47 AM »
The KU analogy was more like this (I'll be brief for my time, not the quality of info)
~You said you can't coach em up in volleyball
~You said for years KU has been competitive with weaker talent, because their coach knew our coaches system
~Ergo in some instances you can coach them up or at least have talent play beyond their means
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2012, 08:16:05 AM »
there is no excuse for getting run out of the gym by UNI.  that's an embarassment.  suzie fritz = deb patterson. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »
sucks that we lost.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »

~You said for years KU has been competitive with weaker talent, because their coach knew our coaches system

never said that, they have been terrible forever

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »
The bottom line is this, significant effort has been made over the years to keep K-State Volleyball up to speed with quality facilities.   I knew Ahearn prior to volleyball getting all of those improvements backwards and forwards and back again, I spent day after day after day in there.    I believe Volleyball now occupies either the former men's basketball offices or the former AD's offices, which used to be the nicest offices the K-State athletics had, and I believe they've  just recently been remodeled.   Offices that at the time K-State volleyball moved into them, other Volleyball programs would have killed for . . . many of them occupying offices akin to broom closets.    The volleyball dressing room and players lounge is multi-fold times nicer than the old K-State Mens basketball dressing room.  (again, we're talking about Volleyball here, a sport that LOSES money).   Offices, players lounges, dressing rooms, new courts, pay raises, increased budgets etc. etc. etc.

Drummed out of the NCAA tourney in the 1st round by Northern Iowa.

You're confusing what I bolded with the rest of your post.  The things you mentioned don't "keep K-State Volleyball up to speed with quality facilities."  They updated the previous horrendous facilities but in no way are they comparable with what one would call quality facilities.  I've said this three times yet you continue to ignore it.  I've seen other college facilities, you haven't even seen ours.  I also enjoy that you continue to ignore the question that I've asked you about the risk of finding someone who will duplicate being the 4th winningest coach (2nd active) in the history of the conference.

there is no excuse for getting run out of the gym by UNI.  that's an embarassment.

Anyone say otherwise?  What did you guys think of UNI before the match started, just wondering?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »
there is no excuse for getting run out of the gym by UNI.  that's an embarassment.

Anyone say otherwise?  What did you guys think of UNI before the match started, just wondering?

hey ralph tresvant, lay off the sensitivity.  you mind if i state my opinion?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
Don't follow women's volleyball - like most olympic sports - but am happy when KSU is good. 

That said, are we arguing that KSU doesn't have the talent to be relevant in the postseason?  i.e. we need better facilities to recruit better talent? 

I thought Fritz always had good talent, and was consistently taking teams to the NCAAs...

So, forgive me, but why the eff are facilities even relevant to this discussion? 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »

I was being specific to KU

Quote from: MiR
They have always played us tough relative to their inferior talent.

Maybe someone with free time can look up assistant coach salaries and see how they fall in line between K-State, top tier, and lesser schools. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »

Maybe someone with free time can look up assistant coach salaries and see how they fall in line between K-State, top tier, and lesser schools.

My actual sentence and what you interpreted as are worlds apart.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
Don't follow women's volleyball - like most olympic sports - but am happy when KSU is good. 

That said, are we arguing that KSU doesn't have the talent to be relevant in the postseason?  i.e. we need better facilities to recruit better talent? 

I thought Fritz always had good talent, and was consistently taking teams to the NCAAs...

So, forgive me, but why the eff are facilities even relevant to this discussion?

They aren't relevant at all, Dax wanted to bitch so he used some press releases he's read as a basis for an argument that states we have good facilities so we should beat everybody.  It's really rough ridin' stupid but the old man on the barstool is only happy when miserable and will go to any lengths to convince others to join him, up to & including talking out of his ass.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »

My actual sentence and what you interpreted as are worlds apart.
so your direct quote with a direct parallel to what I said are world apart.....
wait what?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
MIR, with the same old crap, I walked through Ahearn (for like the 1000th time) just this last summer right before school started at K-State.   It was completely set up for Volleyball, I walked down through the underneath sections, and then back up through Ahearn Gym and the office areas.

K-State Volleyball moved into the former AD/Men's Basketball Suite, then it was remodeled . . . when they did that, the volleyball program at ku (for example) was stuck in some little broom closet office in the bowels of Allen Fieldhouse, until the last remodeling they did when it moved.

Oregon State Baseball (for example) won 2 National Titles before they even got the brand spanking new baseball stadium, before that, FHSU had a nicer stadium than Oregon State. 

K-State is never going to have the nicest facilities across the board, but they're certainly nice enough. 

Just once it would be nice for a K-State athletic team to step up and go the distance.   

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:44:51 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 03, 2012, 02:35:41 AM »

so your direct quote with a direct parallel to what I said are world apart.....
wait what?

Yeah.  If you think this

"They have always played us tough relative to their inferior talent."

Means this

You said for years KU has been competitive with weaker talent, because their coach knew our coaches system

You have a logic problem I can't help you.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 03, 2012, 02:41:32 AM »
MIR, with the same old crap, I walked through Ahearn (for like the 1000th time) just this last summer right before school started at K-State.   It was completely set up for Volleyball, I walked down through the underneath sections, and then back up through Ahearn Gym and the office areas.

K-State Volleyball moved into the former AD/Men's Basketball Suite, then it was remodeled . . . when they did that, the volleyball program at ku (for example) was stuck in some little broom closet office in the bowels of Allen Fieldhouse, until the last remodeling they did when it moved.

Oregon State Baseball (for example) won 2 National Titles before they even got the brand spanking new baseball stadium, before that, FHSU had a nicer stadium than Oregon State. 

K-State is never going to have the nicest facilities across the board, but they're certainly nice enough. 

Just once it would be nice for a K-State athletic team to step up and go the distance.   

So your point to this is that we should win more games because our locker room has been upgraded from the 50's style concrete cave?  Great to know Dax, makes perfect sense.  Recruiting budgets and coaching salaries don't mean anything, the key to success is carpet.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 03, 2012, 04:10:38 AM »
Other schools that have much smaller budgets than K-State have stepped up and gone the distance in NCAA athletics MIR . . . nice job in skipping over my point about that.

Hell Stony Brook (For Example) was in the CWS, and until recently their baseball field consisted of a fence, field, scoreboard, and a couple of dugouts.  In FY 2012 K-State had $41 million dollars more athletic revenue then they did, in fact, K-State's private giving alone could have financed their entire athletic department, with $7 million left over.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:56 AM »
Other schools that have much smaller budgets than K-State have stepped up and gone the distance in NCAA athletics MIR . . . nice job in skipping over my point about that.

Hell Stony Brook (For Example) was in the CWS, and until recently their baseball field consisted of a fence, field, scoreboard, and a couple of dugouts.  In FY 2012 K-State had $41 million dollars more athletic revenue then they did, in fact, K-State's private giving alone could have financed their entire athletic department, with $7 million left over.

We're talking volleyball here Dax, give me a volleyball team that fits your weird scenario.  Take a couple of days, you'll certainly need it to research as it is certain that you haven't seen 5 matches in your life.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
Long Beach State . . . $14 million dollar athletic budget.   Yeah, yeah, you're gonna remind they're in California.   Look man, I'm not saying Volleyball Final Four every year.

I also take into account that K-State is approaching the $60 million dollar mark in annual athletic budget, and only funds the minimum amount of sports to be a D1 eligible school.   One would think that we could actually make a run at a national title in something.

Northern Iowa . . . $14 million dollar athletic budget and they have to finance football.

Offline owl borland

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • I thought hurricane season was over
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
K-State Volleyball to Make Special Announcement Tuesday
Suzie Fritz, John Currie to hold press conference at 3 p.m.

April 8, 2013

MANHATTAN, Kan. – Kansas State Head Volleyball Coach Suzie Fritz and Athletics Director John Currie will make a special announcement regarding K-State Volleyball during a press conference scheduled for Tuesday, April 9. The press conference will be held in the Legends Room at Bramalge Coliseum at 3 p.m.

Anyone else dying to see what this is about?
GIFSoup

Don't forget your power towel. Bring it to every game

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
K-State Volleyball to Make Special Announcement Tuesday
Suzie Fritz, John Currie to hold press conference at 3 p.m.

April 8, 2013

MANHATTAN, Kan. – Kansas State Head Volleyball Coach Suzie Fritz and Athletics Director John Currie will make a special announcement regarding K-State Volleyball during a press conference scheduled for Tuesday, April 9. The press conference will be held in the Legends Room at Bramalge Coliseum at 3 p.m.

Anyone else dying to see what this is about?

My initial guess is either a facilities upgrade or she's been named as an assistant to the national team.