Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148822 times)

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
Ahearn could be a very good V-Ball Venue, but that would require substantial renovation.   

Move the v-ball court to where the b-ball court used to be and tighten and create a seating bowl around it.   I'm thinking about 5-6,000 seats, and renovated entry lobbies etc. etc.

But we're talking $15 million easy.

How much for the sand?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »
A Volleyball Training Facility is going in south of Bram.  Two courts with locker rooms, offices, etc.     :kstategrad:

How did I miss this, where South of the Bram exactly? 

Rendos?

WHOA DAX...WHOA! we don't want anyone to lose a job or anything there big fella.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
They should build them a 2,500-3,000 seat arena just for volleyball. Ahearn is the worst.

Ahearn does blow, your capacities are way too small.

Get any bigger and you're looking at a half-full arena a lot of the time. You're probably right though, when taking NCAA hosting into effect.

then just pick up the court and move it to da bram when you need to host ncaa's

yup
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 09, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
rumblings of an smaller octogon on top of the octogon, similar to a wedding cake

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 09, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »
rumblings of an smaller octogon on top of the octogon, similar to a wedding cake

Lol, would take

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 09, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »
They should build them a 2,500-3,000 seat arena just for volleyball. Ahearn is the worst.

Ahearn does blow, your capacities are way too small.

Get any bigger and you're looking at a half-full arena a lot of the time. You're probably right though, when taking NCAA hosting into effect.

then just pick up the court and move it to da bram when you need to host ncaa's

NCAA brings in their own courts now.

For the regionals and the final four, not for the 1st & 2nd rounds

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
No rendos yet to donate to ComboFan season.  JFC told an architecture firm several weeks ago to come up with a design/rendos for a two-court volleyball training facility with locker rooms, offices, etc. located adjacent south of the fOoD (similar to the BTF).  The VTF will go in, but a set timeline hasn't been established yet.  I bet the project will be in the $8-13 million range probs. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
No rendos yet to donate to ComboFan season.  JFC told an architecture firm several weeks ago to come up with a design/rendos for a two-court volleyball training facility with locker rooms, offices, etc. located adjacent south of the fOoD (similar to the BTF).  The VTF will go in, but a set timeline hasn't been established yet.  I bet the project will be in the $8-13 million range probs.

If they're going to spend that much, might as well add another $7 million or so and just build a 4 or 5K seat game venue.   

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »

If they're going to spend that much, might as well add another $7 million or so and just build a 4 or 5K seat game venue.

yup.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »

I hate everything about this, what a colossal waste of money

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Volleyball
« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
TFS and Baseball should see that money before volleyball if its either/or scenario.   

But IMO the goal should be a new arena or a reconfigured Ahearn for Volleyball only.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 13, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »
TFS and Baseball should see that money before volleyball if its either/or scenario.   

Wha? How do you figure?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 13, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
Because.  We need to improve our baseball facilities.   We've been a play or two away from the CWS.   

This particularly needs to happen if they push the season back.   Everybody will be balls out in baseball if that happens.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
Because.  We need to improve our baseball facilities.   We've been a play or two away from the CWS.   

This particularly needs to happen if they push the season back.   Everybody will be balls out in baseball if that happens.

No we weren't. Even if we were the CWS amounts to the elite 8. The volleyball team has been to three sweet 16s. If this is about program accomplishments it isn't even close, not historically, not currently. Baseball has had more extensive improvements more recently and frankly baseball has the better facility although neither are anything close to elite. Baseball historically hasn't made K-State any more money than volleyball, they don't get to take that mantle because of one pissed away season.

The only real argument for improving baseball facilities before making sensible improvements to the volleyball program can't really go beyond "I like baseball better." That being said if the choice is building a volleyball practice facility at Bramlage or building a whole new baseball stadium, I'd pick the baseball stadium. I'd advocate K-State starting a bull fighting team and building a bull fighting arena before a volleyball practice facility at Bramlage. I'd advocate the athletic department building an American Girl doll store before a volleyball practice facility at Bramlage.

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 15, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »
Funnel resources into sports that will make money (i.e football, MENs bball, and baseball). I believe everyone deserves opportunities, but if there is no money to be made, there is no reason to invest. The Toint needs a huge overhaul for various reasons, and V-Ball can wait. ADJC is probably not focused on the well-being and success of volleyball. Dude is King Midas, and all he wants is to make crap look good and make money, but he wont funnel it into some avenue that will suck the fun (money) out of the budget. (BTW, rowing doesn't deserve a facility, its a non-revenue sport that sucks on the teet of football that is federally required by T-XIV)
@Trogdor_gE

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 15, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »
Funnel resources into sports that will make money (i.e football, MENs bball, and baseball). I believe everyone deserves opportunities, but if there is no money to be made, there is no reason to invest. The Toint needs a huge overhaul for various reasons, and V-Ball can wait. ADJC is probably not focused on the well-being and success of volleyball. Dude is King Midas, and all he wants is to make crap look good and make money, but he wont funnel it into some avenue that will suck the fun (money) out of the budget. (BTW, rowing doesn't deserve a facility, its a non-revenue sport that sucks on the teet of football that is federally required by T-XIV)

Can you read? I addressed this, volleyball has historically made a lot more money than baseball at Kansas State. Also what the hell is title 14? Certainly you know that all sports other than men's basketball "sucks on the teet of football" right?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »

The Toint needs an overhaul? Why? As for the rest of this post, I refer you to MIR's response.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 15, 2014, 12:18:40 AM »
I kinda wonder if they are looking to move VB out of Ahearn and into the OOD.  Why else would you build a training facility so far away from the home court?  Seems like we're seeing a general push to move everything to an athletics campus. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 15, 2014, 12:19:36 AM »

Can you read? I addressed this, volleyball has historically made a lot more money than baseball at Kansas State. Also what the hell is title 14? Certainly you know that all sports other than men's basketball "sucks on the teet of football" right?

Title IX, whatever, shut up im tired.

And historically doesnt mean crap. Maybe back in the day, but this is now, Batcats are drawing a larger fanbase, which equals  :kstategrad:
@Trogdor_gE

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 15, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »
I kinda wonder if they are looking to move VB out of Ahearn and into the OOD.  Why else would you build a training facility so far away from the home court?  Seems like we're seeing a general push to move everything to an athletics campus.

This is probably the long term goal. They'll probably convert Ahearn into some museum or some stuff for the Kinesiology Dept. Indoor track will have to bounce over to the Athletic Complex of Doom as well.

Personally I don't think they should move. The only way to get students to go to this stuff is to make it convenient (i.e. keeping it right on campus)
@Trogdor_gE

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 15, 2014, 12:28:46 AM »

This is probably the long term goal. They'll probably convert Ahearn into some museum or some stuff for the Kinesiology Dept. Indoor track will have to bounce over to the Athletic Complex of Doom as well.

Personally I don't think they should move. The only way to get students to go to this stuff is to make it convenient (i.e. keeping it right on campus)

Moving indoor track from Ahearn would require a new building. Bramlage is entirely unsuitable for track, size-wise and otherwise.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2014, 01:05:13 AM »

Title IX, whatever, shut up im tired.

And historically doesnt mean crap. Maybe back in the day, but this is now, Batcats are drawing a larger fanbase, which equals  :kstategrad:

Back in the day like last year and every year before it? How do you think the baseball revenue will look next year?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2014, 01:10:49 AM »

I would reluctantly be okay with this. I'm just so over Ahearn and I'm sure we aren't pumping any money into it to make it a viable long term home for K-State volleyball. It is frustrating though that other schools in this conference have turned their old basketball facilities into new volleyball facilities. Even moving the court to the center of Ahearn, moving the metal bleachers from BSFS, and installing a video board would do wonders. I still don't understand the need for a new practice facility when a renovation of the current practice gym at Ahearn is all that is needed.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2014, 05:30:08 AM »
Baseball needs the improvements first.   VB is perfectly fine in Ahearn.  Get indoor track out of there, and reconfigure the arena area to put the court where the basketball court used to be and make some improvements.   They'll have tons of space to set up about as many practice V-Ball courts as they could possibly want.  In fact, they'll have so much room they could put in at least one all sand court for training.   

The only drawback might be having to work with the academic side like the Department of Kinesiology which occupies Ahearn. 

Baseball can evolve with more suites, more seats etc. etc.   

It will be absurd to spend $8 to $12 million on volleyball unless substantial improvements are made to TFS and the baseball facilities at the same time if not before.  Particularly if baseball is pushed back a month, improving the competitive stature of nearly every D1 school substantially.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
Baseball needs the improvements first.   VB is perfectly fine in Ahearn.  Get indoor track out of there, and reconfigure the arena area to put the court where the basketball court used to be and make some improvements.   They'll have tons of space to set up about as many practice V-Ball courts as they could possibly want.  In fact, they'll have so much room they could put in at least one all sand court for training.   

The only drawback might be having to work with the academic side like the Department of Kinesiology which occupies Ahearn. 

Baseball can evolve with more suites, more seats etc. etc.   

It will be absurd to spend $8 to $12 million on volleyball unless substantial improvements are made to TFS and the baseball facilities at the same time if not before.  Particularly if baseball is pushed back a month, improving the competitive stature of nearly every D1 school substantially.

What would cost more for a quality structure, volleyball or a new indoor track facility?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.