Author Topic: If you are Smart, you knew we would win: UT ADV  (Read 15475 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: If you are Smart, you knew we would win: UT ADV
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »
Let's agree to argue about "AD-approved house cleaning." Okay now that's out of the way, no matter whether we make the tournament or not the story of this season has been told. We are returning nice pieces but we're losing our two best players. The fans are either losing faith or have lost faith. The coach is making absurd excuses nearly every time he has a mic in his face. Next year is another season of uncertainty. The media are even circling above looking for a corpse.

All signs point to oscar being is very real trouble right now, getting in with a 11 seed then losing by 9 on a Thursday afternoon in Spokane doesn't change any of this.

IIRC, Currie absolutely made some comments that point toward an AD approved roster rebuild. That is completely true IMO and part of the reason that I think any tournament appearance leaves oscar completely safe.

I will add the qualifier that the home crowd at the final two games will be interesting and could have some say, the crowd last Wednesday was much worse than I expected. I will be in attendance again this Wednesday (free tix), so I will have a first hand report.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
Wes was great today minus the one missed layup.

Think about this possible scenario. We make the tournament and grind out a win. oscar is going to be in a position for contract negotiations. Will we be his best offer on this table? 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
This win guarantees a better record than last season and a clear sign of improvement over last year. The streak of getting worse each season is over.  The streak of not winning road games is over.  All along I have maintained that is all oscar had to do to keep his job this season (I admit my belief might be wrong, but I firmly believe it).  An NCAA tournament appearance just makes it all the more secure for the next three years.

It isn't that at all and you know it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »

Think about this possible scenario. We make the tournament and grind out a win. oscar is going to be in a position for contract negotiations. Will we be his best offer on this table? 

Yes. And I would guess a tourney win gets him at least a 2 year extension.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »

I couldn't cheer for a K-State loss, but I don't know what to think. It is what it is, and an absolutely oscar thing to do.

Some advice? This team is in the tourney, enjoy it and look forward to another year.

Probably correct. Now I look forward to that and my new username I guess.

Despite what the gE trolls insist on, oscar is not absolutely safe with simply a tournament appearance.

I'm not trolling, I would be shocked if he makes the tournament and gets canned.

Why do you think this?
Based on expectations established when he was brought back last year. A tourney two years after an AD-approved house cleaning? Come on.

Let's agree to argue about "AD-approved house cleaning." Okay now that's out of the way, no matter whether we make the tournament or not the story of this season has been told. We are returning nice pieces but we're losing our two best players. The fans are either losing faith or have lost faith. The coach is making absurd excuses nearly every time he has a mic in his face. Next year is another season of uncertainty. The media are even circling above looking for a corpse.

All signs point to oscar being is very real trouble right now, getting in with a 11 seed then losing by 9 on a Thursday afternoon in Spokane doesn't change any of this.

sys articulated it better than I did. The team was 5-13 last year. When he didn't get fired then (with a realistic popular hire waiting in the wings) an NCAA tournament appearance this year virtually guarantees his return.

Like, what are you thinking the minimum results to keep his job should be? A top 3 B12 finish and/or a Sweet 16?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
I couldn't cheer for a K-State loss, but I don't know what to think. It is what it is, and an absolutely oscar thing to do.

Some advice? This team is in the tourney, enjoy it and look forward to another year.

Despite what the gE trolls insist on, oscar is not absolutely safe with simply a tournament appearance.

I'm not trolling, I would be shocked if he makes the tournament and gets canned.

Why do you think this?
Based on expectations established when he was brought back last year. A tourney two years after an AD-approved house cleaning? Come on.
Where do you get your intimate knowledge of the inner workings on such matters?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
1.  hardly any coaches ever get fired after going to the tournament.
2.  kstate would be bringing back a lot of young players.
3.  you decline to fire a coach in 5-13 year x, giving up a chance to hire an alumnus coach that virtually your entire fanbase wanted and then fire him in year x+1 when he justifies your faith by improving to 8-10 or 9-9?  you may as well lynch yourself rather than wait for your new coach to falter for even a game or two.

not in order.

1. Happened in this conference last season.
2. Missing our best 2
3. As much as we didn't think oscar was the right guy, you don't fire your coach just to hire someone else, that someone who may not have even wanted the job.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »

I would bet a two year extension wouldn't be his best offer.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2017, 04:05:02 PM »
I don't think DJamer and Wes are clearly the two best players

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
God you are insufferable about basketball chings
It's the easy way to post. A cop out. Just keep being negative and once proven wrong, you just get to say oops my bad. Then party with the no idiots. There's no consequence. Whereas those that hold out hope for KSU cats and coaching changes can get crucified at every term. Weak people post weakly.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

Why do you think this?

From the rough ridin' newspaper

http://cjonline.com/sports-catzone/2015-03-25/k-state-ad-john-currie-supports-decisions-made-oscar-weber

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2017, 04:07:04 PM »

Lock him up now.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
Non* and turn*

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »

Why do you think this?

From the rough ridin' newspaper

http://cjonline.com/sports-catzone/2015-03-25/k-state-ad-john-currie-supports-decisions-made-oscar-weber
Did not read. I'm guessing it is an AD showing public support for his hire? Weird.

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »
So you have no rough ridin' idea. You're just another Trim Tobias Chingon Sys. Got it.

The Big Train

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:45 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
1. Happened in this conference last season.
2. Missing our best 2
3. As much as we didn't think oscar was the right guy, you don't fire your coach just to hire someone else, that someone who may not have even wanted the job.

1.  who?
2.  i don't agree, but even if i did, replacing two players isn't hard.  most teams lose more than that most years.
3.  i violently disagree.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »
Link it

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
The guy looks silly. IMO.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »

i mean, i wouldn't fire him if i was currie, but if he left on his own i'd be skipping down the halls of whatever building he has an office in.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2017, 04:13:13 PM »
_FAN, I'm a weirdo and don't like that W.A.S.P. is in your screen name

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile