Author Topic: 3-5-17 K-State Player Per 100 Ratings and Team ADV Stats  (Read 10488 times)

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 3-5-17 K-State Player Per 100 Ratings and Team ADV Stats
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2017, 04:40:41 PM »
Brown is the worst shooter and basically tied for most minutes in conference play. I guess he's OK at creating TO's and taking care of the ball, at least.

He was. 7 TOs in the first 7 B12 games. But in our last 6 games overall, he has 15 TOs.
Poor shooting and 2.5 TOs per.....he is killing our offense.

There is really no reason he can't sit 4 minutes each half. 32 minutes a game is plenty.
I'd rather see Wes or Patrick at the 2 when Brown is on the bench.
His a valuable player on D, but we don't need him 36-38 minutes

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2017, 10:04:30 PM »
Brown is the worst shooter and basically tied for most minutes in conference play. I guess he's OK at creating TO's and taking care of the ball, at least.

He was. 7 TOs in the first 7 B12 games. But in our last 6 games overall, he has 15 TOs.
Poor shooting and 2.5 TOs per.....he is killing our offense.

There is really no reason he can't sit 4 minutes each half. 32 minutes a game is plenty.
I'd rather see Wes or Patrick at the 2 when Brown is on the bench.
His a valuable player on D, but we don't need him 36-38 minutes
Please.tell oscar.  In about how to get Sneeded and Swampthing some.more minutes.  Flush might do better a little more rested.  Seems like we are having the sophomore slumps.  We kind of forget how young this team is.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2017, 01:25:01 AM »
brown is a good player.  he's not playing too much, maybe shooting a little too much.  which is the rest of the team's fault.

He's an average at best Big 12 combo. About like Stokes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2017, 02:02:52 AM »

his defense makes him more valuable than stokes.  i agree that he's very average for a starting big 12 guard.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »

his defense makes him more valuable than stokes.  i agree that he's very average for a starting big 12 guard.

The Flush is the worst defender in the b12 but other than that, i agree with sys

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »

The Flush is the worst defender in the b12 but other than that, i agree with sys

Only Carter of WV has a better steals per game on the season. And Brown has the 2nd most steals in B12 games.  That right there makes the "worst defender" statement pretty dumb. Steals are part of being a Defender.

Brown isn't a tremendous on ball defender but he's far from being bad either.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »

Only Carter of WV has a better steals per game on the season. And Brown has the 2nd most steals in B12 games.  That right there makes the "worst defender" statement pretty dumb. Steals are part of being a Defender.

Brown isn't a tremendous on ball defender but he's far from being bad either.

steals are the smallest part of playing defense, he's absolutely terrible on ball and in transition
i would guarantee you that you can play better defense than The Flush

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
oscar hinted earlier in the year that he wants to rebuild Browns shots. It is holding him back. I also think he is more of a slasher than combo. He would benefit from getting to the line more if he could knock them down. His shooting numbers are about the same as last year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »

Patrick seems to be enjoying his sharpshooter role.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
Patrick 22 pts on 9 FGAs last 3 gms. :horrorsurprise:

I love Sneed...But last 5 gms, just 21 pts, 30% eFG on 25 shots. Only 9 Reb in 93 minutes.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »
Same chart, but I finally got around to adding a percentage of shots column in the shooting stats. Only accounts for possessions/shots when players are in the game.

Maybe some day I'll get to individual offensive rating in these things, but the formula(s) for that are crazy.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
Brown has to be near the top in terms of steals converted to dunks for 5' 11" PGs in the Big XII

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »
I decided to tackle Dean Oliver's individual offensive efficiency/ratings formula. (http://statitudes.com/toolbox/individual-offensive-and-defensive-ratings/). The results end up slightly different from kenpom's.

Offensive rating now included after Min% in the charts:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:13:20 AM by ksu_FwN (maybe) »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
Here's an updated chart on winning factors for oscar teams when it comes to the NCAA tournament.

The usual 3PT% calling card for oscar is being offset by the terrible 3PT defense this year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »
Updated per 100s, now with percentage of possessions used and offensive rating.

Guards are naturally going to have a higher usage rate, but the offensive rating compared to %Poss is notable. Especially considering our best offensive player on paper is used 5th most on the team for both the season and Big 12 play. Yes Wade needs to be more aggressive, but a lot falls on oscar and not running more offense through him.

Also, Stokes/Brown simply haven't been very good in Big 12 play considering their usage amounts. Besides the terrible defense, those 2 play a large part in our mediocre Big 12 season.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
Kam shoots the 3pt pretty good (even that has dropped off though.)He's like 34% last 7 games or so. He also has shot FTs really well in B12 play. He doesn't do anything else well.  Way too many unforced TOs because he is trying to make a play or fancy pass. And he is terrible at finishing inside 5 feet when he drives.

Brown is really good at getting steals & deflections. I think he is an above average defender, but probably could be a lock down defender if he put the effort/focus into it. When Brown shoots a 3pt or long 2pt, I just never feel it's going in. He shot well for most of non con, but B12 has been another story. He also takes off too far away on his breakaway layups. He missed a layup the other night because of this. He has to learn how to get all the way to the rim, use his body to shield defender, and still make the layup.

Those 2 being bad on eFG and TOs have really hurt our O which has seen us only get 0.98 PPP the last 9 gms.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:29:05 PM by Powercat Posse »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
Wade needs to be more aggressive, but a lot falls on oscar and not running more offense through him.

keep in mind that the other players steal a lot of wade's points, assists and rebounds.  for example, Wes's numbers are good exactly for the reason I just mentioned.

Over and over in a game you will see Dean work his tail off in a game and box out and Wes run right next to Dean and get the rebound. It doesn't really bother me game wise because stats don't reflect who does the work on the boards. On offensive rebounds it's rather hard to get a rebound when you are asked to play 25 feet from the rim. In practice we do a rebounding drill where all 5 box out and we demand that the ball hits the floor while we maintain the box out. Great drill and if done in a game will lead to 0 offensive rebounds for the other team.

If you want I'm sure Dean could get 10 boards a game. Just tell him don't box out, just try to get the rebound wherever you happen to be on the floor. That would lead to getting massacred in the Big 12 on the offensive boards. The bigs in the league have to be boxed out. The guards not quite so important.

Keep track over a few games how many offensive rebounds we give up in a game in the time when Dean is out compared to when he is in. Unfortunately boxing out is not a stat but it's much more significant than who gets the credit for running in and catching the easy rebound.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
Weird use of caps sys.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »
Weird use of caps sys.

i'm in an odd mood.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »
Ku plays 4 Guard/SF so Lucas is only big most of time. He is getting a DR about every 4.7 min on the year

Motley for Baylor starts along side a 7 footer and he ave a DR about every 4.8 min on the year

Both these bigs have different circumstances with their starting lineup and both are good Reb and good DR

DJamer is at a DR every 7.1 and Wade every 9.1 minutes on the year.  Wes is our best DR on the year and there are times what you have said is true. However KU and Baylor bigs also have to block out bigs and they Rebound well

Wes has a slightly better DR rate than Josh Jackson (1 every 6.0 compared to 1 every 6.5 min). If you watched Jackson, he doesn't block out alot and plays similar to Wes when D-Rebounding
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:32:42 PM by Powercat Posse »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2017, 06:08:52 PM »
Any per minute stat is a bad one IMO.

I can do per 100s for any of these teams if you want so we can get a good comparison.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
Any per minute stat is a bad one IMO.

I can do per 100s for any of these teams if you want so we can get a good comparison.

Yeah, I know per minute isn't ideal since teams have different Poss per game average. Off of this, it shows 2 good DR in Motley/Lucas are noticably better than an Average Rebounder in DJamer and a below Ave Reb like Dean

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2017, 06:54:56 AM »
The OU game numbers are ridiculous, especially Bullnuts putting up Beasley like numbers in his 9 minutes.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
Ervin is better DR than DJamer
Barry is better DR than Wade
Maurice gets more DR than DJamer/Dean combined, per 100
Sneed is worse than all those guys (playing alot at the 4)
* all stats from big 12 games