Author Topic: chum1: Why do you hate analogies?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
chum1: Why do you hate analogies?
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
When I am trying to explain or describe something to someone that I perceive someone else does not yet understand, sometimes I find it useful to momentarily alter the focus of the discussion.

For instance, if I was attempting to describe to you the wonderfully soft red blanket that I have on my lap, I would expect you possess a full understanding of all the adjectives I would be using. You may well have a similar blanket, or at least have experienced a similar blanket.  So if I were going to describe my experience to you, it would be sufficient to be very direct in a brief description of my experience for us to have a similar understanding.  My expectation is that you would quickly recognize my experience and relate it to your similar experience. 

Now obviously, this system is not perfect because often times people do not share similar experiences.  In that case, I would look for a vehicle to bridge the gap between our understandings (using an analogy). When I am speaking with someone that does not have a similar experience, or has expressed a very different understanding, and I am attempting to describe something on my own terms it can be useful to use a shared experience or a shared understanding of a third phenomena to bridge the gap in understanding.

Do you have some different understanding of the usefulness of analogies?  Maybe you could use one to explain why you don't like them.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
Re: chum1: Why do you hate analogies?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »
Literary thread.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »
i do not hate them, i actually enjoy them more than i probably should

once you realize that all analogies break down at some point and don't try to push or perceive the analogy past said point, then they become quite useful in literary and social places

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
Hating analogies is like hating air.
:dance:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
this is the japan of threads imo

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »
I like analogies and think they can be very useful. I don't think we'd have any major disagreements over them. (Though, I tend to think of them of them more as a tool for communicating objective ideas, knowable independent of experience.)

In the other thread, when I said "how do analogies work," I was attempting to mock people for shamelessly demonstrating how horribly they'd failed to grasp the point of your analogies. Then, later, I expanded a tiny bit because what they were doing reminded me of a rhetorical tactic (or perhaps mere obtuseness) in which people loudly focus on the dissimilar aspects of analogues while ignoring the similar aspects that they're actually being asked to consider.

It's like, maybe I see a convicted murderer and say, "that looks like Martin Luther King, Jr." Then, someone gets all bent out of shape, screaming that my comparison sucks because one is a saint and the other a miscreant. But all I really wanted to say was that they have similar facial features.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:10:26 PM »
i don't know if i'm disappointed or relieved that chum didn't drag this one out.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
What a relief.  A burden has been lifted.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »
What a relief.  A burden has been lifted.
ok then, me too.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
chum1 may be lying.  i'd like more evidence that he likes analogies.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »
This is the type of stuff I don't like.  It seems to happen a lot and these are both from the past two days.  If these analogies don't work, it's not due to the degree of the comparison, which is why MANY seem to dismiss them.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/29/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/gwyneth-paltrow-war-online-comments/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643801/I-feel-raped-Outrage-Oscar-winner-Charlize-Theron-compares-press-intrusion-rape-interview-journalist-promote-new-film.html