Author Topic: Ugly, totally obtainable cars you want  (Read 15285 times)

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ugly, totally obtainable cars you want
« Reply #275 on: July 18, 2023, 07:45:54 AM »
The car wash thread got me thinking...I have a very nice, well maintained vehicle, but I am seriously thinking about additoinally purchasing a cheap-as-possible ugly truck that I can give zero fucks about.  The ideal situation would be a truck that was as new as possible, had a crap ton of miles, body rust, other blemishes, and yet still have a reliable engine and transmission.  Very tricky situation to try and find just the right mix of "looks like crap but drives like heaven." 

I want the freedom of not giving two shits about what happens to it, yet the confidence to drive it anywhere.  Is this a paradox, a cosmic impossibility even?!?!
These are difficult but not impossibly at all to find. FB marketplace and craigslist(yes it's still a thing and only have it on owner sold) are the best places. If by some chance you come across someone that has a For Sale sign in the window of their vehicle that puppy might as well have a bullseye on it.
I have a 2001 f150 that is this exact truck!

132000 miles lmao

Duct tape holding a side mirror up. Rust along wheel wells etc. got it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 21, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »
Jealous

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2023, 09:08:05 AM »
Pro tip for the reliable junker truck crew. Look into nissan titans 2007- earlier 2010’s. If they had regular oil changes, they are like cockroaches. They don’t die.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Ugly, totally obtainable cars you want
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2023, 11:16:02 AM »
https://usminitrucksales.com/inventory/automatic-2022-daihatsu-hijet-power-package-made-by-toyota-3/
There are recently an infinite amount of these in Omaha. Just sprung up all of a sudden.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2023, 11:47:26 AM »
They are like 1/4 the cost of a truck and have the same size bed, better gas mileage, easier to drive like American trucks are some of the dumbest things in the whole world. I want one for weekend truck things without needing a monster truck.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2023, 12:07:05 PM »
What on earth lol
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 22, 2023, 01:00:37 PM »
It is bullshit I cannot have a Toyota hi-lux or one of these Japanese mini trucks but someone can buy a dualie that will never see a scratch on the bed.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #283 on: July 22, 2023, 01:05:00 PM »
Automotive lobby is strong. Have to keep us poor.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2023, 01:15:22 PM »
https://usminitrucksales.com/inventory/automatic-2022-daihatsu-hijet-power-package-made-by-toyota-3/
There are recently an infinite amount of these in Omaha. Just sprung up all of a sudden.

They are not street legal tho?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 22, 2023, 01:56:12 PM »
I’m not 100% sure. I know the Toyota hi lux is not.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 22, 2023, 02:33:21 PM »

They are not street legal tho?
I have no idea, it’s certainly not stopping them from driving around all over though.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 22, 2023, 03:12:16 PM »
I want a hijet van. Or any kei van really, but I don't want the imported kind with steering wheel on the right side. Not many left sided kind though.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2023, 08:48:25 PM »
this thing is next level boss

https://motocompacto.honda.com/

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 18, 2023, 10:00:18 PM »
I’ve seen this magnificent beast a couple times at the trailhead recently.  So hawt  :love:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 19, 2023, 08:32:54 AM »
Remind me of the old Cushmans
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 19, 2023, 08:50:28 AM »
This is all I can think of whenever you guys mention the mini truck.
https://youtu.be/yRG0Wai4sR0?si=yeLwMdMz_1azCUAn
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2023, 10:13:34 AM »
this thing is next level boss

https://motocompacto.honda.com/

If i was strolling down Pennsylvania and clams in all his glory came cruising around the corner at 47th on that I would faint.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2023, 08:42:36 AM »
Looks like a box on two wheels.  Looks better without the cover over the mini bike.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2023, 01:33:36 PM »
Imagine buying a new pickup for 10k, but unobtainable because no form of it would never be available in the US  at anywhere near that price point.

First Drive: Toyota's $10,000 Pickup Truck Is Perfect. So, Why Are We Sad?
This Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series lookalike is a no-frills, cost-reduced Hilux flatbed/pickup optimized for lower-GDP markets.

[...]

The Toyota Tacoma pickup is built in America for Americans and Canadians, to dodge the "chicken tax," but 181 other countries around the world get the Toyota Hilux pickup. It looks a bit like our Tacoma, but more basic. You'd recognize it from global news footage of relief aid or conflict areas. Well, apparently it had gotten a trifle fancy and at about $15,200 to start, it was pricing itself out of some of those markets. The Toyota IMV 0 intends to fill in that low-cost space beneath the Hilux with a target starting price of $10,000. It made its debut at the 2023 Japan Mobility Show, wearing cool Land Cruiser 70 Series style. Shortly after the Tokyo show, we took one for a spin.

Back To Basics
Toyota has rethought every inch if this truck with an eye toward cost optimization and delivering everything that's absolutely necessary and nothing that's not. The development team even invited upfitters from around the globe to weigh in on how to better optimize the chassis and cab for to prepare them for aftermarket builds. Here are some the changes, what's still included, or what's been left out:

All flat glazing for the windshield, side, and rear windows

Flatbed with no sides as standard, with a limited number of upgrades like the drop-side model we drove

No anti-lock braking, but a load-sensitive proportioning valve is standard, and ABS will be optional (Hilux's standard ABS makes it difficult for upfitters to install heavier-duty rear axles)

No airbags (these will also be optionally available or standard in some markets)

No armrests, just door pockets that double as door pulls

Crank windows

Plastic and rubber galore inside

Hilux control-arm, coil-sprung front/leaf-sprung rear chassis easily upgraded for higher GVWR
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2025-toyota-imv-0-pickup-truck-first-drive-review-japan-mobility-show/[/list]

cc @Pete !!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:46:33 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2023, 02:44:37 PM »
Imagine buying a new pickup for 10k, but unobtainable because no form of it would never be available in the US  at anywhere near that price point.

First Drive: Toyota's $10,000 Pickup Truck Is Perfect. So, Why Are We Sad?
This Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Series lookalike is a no-frills, cost-reduced Hilux flatbed/pickup optimized for lower-GDP markets.

[...]

The Toyota Tacoma pickup is built in America for Americans and Canadians, to dodge the "chicken tax," but 181 other countries around the world get the Toyota Hilux pickup. It looks a bit like our Tacoma, but more basic. You'd recognize it from global news footage of relief aid or conflict areas. Well, apparently it had gotten a trifle fancy and at about $15,200 to start, it was pricing itself out of some of those markets. The Toyota IMV 0 intends to fill in that low-cost space beneath the Hilux with a target starting price of $10,000. It made its debut at the 2023 Japan Mobility Show, wearing cool Land Cruiser 70 Series style. Shortly after the Tokyo show, we took one for a spin.

Back To Basics
Toyota has rethought every inch if this truck with an eye toward cost optimization and delivering everything that's absolutely necessary and nothing that's not. The development team even invited upfitters from around the globe to weigh in on how to better optimize the chassis and cab for to prepare them for aftermarket builds. Here are some the changes, what's still included, or what's been left out:

All flat glazing for the windshield, side, and rear windows

Flatbed with no sides as standard, with a limited number of upgrades like the drop-side model we drove

No anti-lock braking, but a load-sensitive proportioning valve is standard, and ABS will be optional (Hilux's standard ABS makes it difficult for upfitters to install heavier-duty rear axles)

No airbags (these will also be optionally available or standard in some markets)

No armrests, just door pockets that double as door pulls

Crank windows

Plastic and rubber galore inside

Hilux control-arm, coil-sprung front/leaf-sprung rear chassis easily upgraded for higher GVWR
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2025-toyota-imv-0-pickup-truck-first-drive-review-japan-mobility-show/[/list]

cc @Pete !!
Man, I saw this announcement too and immediately thought this is some bullshit that we cannot buy this thing.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 07, 2023, 06:30:05 PM »
Supposedly, Toyto is coming out with a small truck that will compete with Ford Maverick with the "24 Stout, which will start at $22,000.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.