Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4063413 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #25575 on: October 30, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Instead of working with ESPN or FOX like the SEC and big 10 did the Big 12 should be exploring this with Apple or Google. 10 years ago no one had DVRs, now just about everyone I know has one. I don't own an Apple TV, but if there was a Big 12 Network only available on something like that I'd get one.
the hillbilly rumor mongers have been floating the possibility of the Big 12 making a deal with Netflix.  While that is likely just shine induced wishful thinking I like the idea of a distributor based deal w/o the limitations of signing with somebody that is in the hardware business.  It still blows my mind that Kstatehd doesn't have a Roku channel

I bet captaincrap could give us some tantalizingly cryptic posts on this subject

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25576 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
Instead of working with ESPN or FOX like the SEC and big 10 did the Big 12 should be exploring this with Apple or Google. 10 years ago no one had DVRs, now just about everyone I know has one. I don't own an Apple TV, but if there was a Big 12 Network only available on something like that I'd get one.

This is what that would be to the Big 12 or any other conference that attempted to go with apple, google, netflix, hulu, etc :goodbyecruelworld:

The NBA which is a global entity decided that they didn't want to take that risk. Any conference, including the SEC is a regional entity. Take that already small market share and then shave it way down. Essentially take the number of televisions that get ESPNU or Fox Sports2 and then cut it in half at best. There are diehard college sports fans that don't have cable television, even fewer with satellite tv. Taking that next step is a huge ask of the consumer and of the conference.

Sports absolutely does not lead to distribution over non-traditional channels, and as more conferences, leagues, and networks make the programming available digitally for no additional cost there is no space for google, apple, etc.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25577 on: October 30, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »

This is what that would be to the Big 12 or any other conference that attempted to go with apple, google, netflix, hulu, etc :goodbyecruelworld:

The NBA which is a global entity decided that they didn't want to take that risk. Any conference, including the SEC is a regional entity. Take that already small market share and then shave it way down. Essentially take the number of televisions that get ESPNU or Fox Sports2 and then cut it in half at best. There are diehard college sports fans that don't have cable television, even fewer with satellite tv. Taking that next step is a huge ask of the consumer and of the conference.

Sports absolutely does not lead to distribution over non-traditional channels, and as more conferences, leagues, and networks make the programming available digitally for no additional cost there is no space for google, apple, etc.

The overall fear is what happens when/if the tipping point comes where all of these conference specific networks get pushed to the sports tier (instead of basic cable) as cable companies work to counteract consumer flight to streaming platforms.

If you're all going to get the same amount of money, would there be less overhead if you put it on a digital platform to get whatever money you can?

T1 and T2 will still be there, but the T3 money used to fuel these conferences may not be there in the future.  The Big 12, for the most part, buried their T3 content in basic cable networks that are propped up by professional sports franchises (i.e. FSN regional carriers).  They're probably fine.  But SECN, BTN, P12N, etc., do you get the benefit of subscriber fees if those get pushed back to specialty platforms as consumers demand lower cable bills?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25578 on: October 30, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »

The overall fear is what happens when/if the tipping point comes where all of these conference specific networks get pushed to the sports tier (instead of basic cable) as cable companies work to counteract consumer flight to streaming platforms.

Alienating sports fans is the opposite of what cable companies will do. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25579 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »

Alienating sports fans is the opposite of what cable companies will do.

ESPN is the only sports network offered on basic cable as it sits now and they aren't going anywhere. If anything as more cable networks get rights and pull them off of their over-the-air networks there is a potential for more leagues and conferences to get more traction on basic cable. FS1 is more likely to be added to basic cable packages than ESPN is to be removed from them.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25580 on: October 30, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Are there cable providers that carry ESPN and not FS1 as part of their basic cable package?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25581 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
Are there cable providers that carry ESPN and not FS1 as part of their basic cable package?

Comcast. Cox has neither on their basic, can't speak for Time Warner. Directv has both on their basic package, I believe Dish only has ESPN and I'm not sure about Uverse.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25582 on: October 30, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »

Comcast. Cox has neither on their basic, can't speak for Time Warner. Directv has both on their basic package, I believe Dish only has ESPN and I'm not sure about Uverse.

Uverse basic package (U-Basic) does not include ESPN or FS1.  U-200 includes both though. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25583 on: October 30, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »
That is very misleading. I don't know anyone in Manhattan who has Cox "basic" package.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25584 on: October 30, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
That is very misleading. I don't know anyone in Manhattan who has Cox "basic" package.

Right and same with Uverse.  Nobody buys Uverse for anything under U-200. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #25585 on: October 30, 2014, 02:46:36 PM »

I should have been more specific.  "Basic" cable is not what most people buy.

I don't know what most people call it, but it would be the standard digital package.  U-200, Standard package, etc.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25586 on: October 30, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »

I should have been more specific.  "Basic" cable is not what most people buy.

I don't know what most people call it, but it would be the standard digital package.  U-200, Standard package, etc.

There is no way sports channels will disappear from those tiers

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #25587 on: October 30, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »
heard some chatter from some itk types here in the Texas area that UT basically hates the Longhorn Network and wants to have a conf network or streaming thing or what have you
emaw

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #25588 on: October 30, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »

heard some chatter from some itk types here in the Texas area that UT basically hates the Longhorn Network and wants to have a conf network or streaming thing or what have you

Of course they wanna be like us. Every team does.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25589 on: October 30, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
They're not giving up a 15million dollar per yr. contract.  :facepalm:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25590 on: October 30, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »

Uverse basic package (U-Basic) does not include ESPN or FS1.  U-200 includes both though.
fwiw, i have Cox basic and get both channels  :th_twocents:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25591 on: October 30, 2014, 11:18:40 PM »

fwiw, i have Cox basic and get both channels  :th_twocents:

Do you live in Kansas, because if you do what one would consider the "basic" package does not include either. I suppose its up to interpretation as to what basic is. Basic used to be the cheapest package you could buy.

http://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.cox

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #25592 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:41 PM »
I gotta say I love that Conan's band on his TBS show is called Jimmy Vivino and the Basic Cable Band.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #25593 on: October 31, 2014, 12:09:15 AM »
They're not giving up a 15million dollar per yr. contract.  :facepalm:

they might tho
emaw

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25594 on: October 31, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »
At some point the embarrassment of how badly the Longhorn Network failed will outweigh $15m, not just because 15m is just a drop in the bucket for UT.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25595 on: October 31, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
I think it's highly likely that IF there was a Big12 network, that Texas would still get plenty of air time. 

It's possible that a Big12 Network would also help the Big12 in the playoff scenario because it would be a 24x7 Big12 propaganda machine.   

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25596 on: October 31, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
Tomorrow night's game is only available in 22% of households on ABC.  :curse:

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25597 on: October 31, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
It's possible that a Big12 Network would also help the Big12 in the playoff scenario because it would be a 24x7 Big12 propaganda machine.   

ESPN~SEC... FS1~B12?!  :excited:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25598 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »
Cox's "basic" cable doesn't even include any real cable channels, so I'd say that doesn't really qualify as basic cable.

What most people would consider basic cable does include espn, espn2,fskc,fs1, and NBC sports is weird (my older TV doesn't get it straight from the wall but the newer one does).
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25599 on: October 31, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
the question you should be asking is not what package carries what. the question is, does the lowest tier in which espn is available also carry fs1?