Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 1040589 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #3425 on: April 29, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »
We want people to own cars, though.

No we don't.  We're too fat and sprawly.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3426 on: April 29, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
It's a credit, and nobody is having a kid for a $1000 credit. But they shouldn't reward shitheads who don't take care of their kids or who can't afford the with a refundable tax credit. It's batshit.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: April 29, 2017, 06:38:32 PM »
A large amount of social policy is pushed through the tax code (mortgage deduction, charitable deduction, education and child credits) some of these policies don't pass the smell test.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: April 29, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
Would def take the double standard deduction in exchange for state and local tax deduction. Fed govt shouldn't be subsidizing high tax states.

Student loan interest should not be capped or phased out, neither should the kid tax credit.

I agree. 

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: April 29, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/858455688779112449

Cool, skinheads at his rally.

Keystone State Skinheads...

My surprised face  :dubious:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:43:11 PM by bucket »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: April 29, 2017, 08:52:54 PM »
Fake news, those dudes just bald

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: April 29, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »

For normal people that just didn't like Hillary, this really makes you question the company you keep. For most trump voters though... screw immigrants, LGBTs, women and people on welfare, at least I got my precious tax cuts!
untuck manhattan

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: April 29, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »
Fake news, those dudes just bald

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_State_Skinheads

I don't make assumptions. That is a skinhead.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: April 29, 2017, 11:05:35 PM »
Bring the country together...  :facepalm:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: April 30, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »

By Donald J. Trump
April 29 at 6:00 PM
Donald J. Trump is the president of the United States.

One hundred days ago, I took the oath of office and made a pledge: We are not merely going to transfer political power from one party to another, but instead are going to transfer that power from Washington, D.C., and give it back to the people.

ADVERTISING

In the past 100 days, I have kept that promise — and more.

Issue by issue, department by department, we are giving the people their country back. After decades of a shrinking middle class, open borders and the mass offshoring of American jobs and wealth, this government is working for the citizens of our country and no one else.

Opinions newsletter
Thought-provoking opinions and commentary, in your inbox daily.
The same establishment media that concealed these problems — and profited from them — is obviously not going to tell this story. That is why we are taking our message directly to America.

We have opened the White House doors to listen, engage and act. We’ve invited in labor leaders, factory owners, police officers, farmers, veterans and Democrats, Republicans and independents.

The change began with the termination of the Trans-Pacific Partnership — a 12-nation pact that would have shipped millions more jobs to other countries.

But leaving the TPP was only the beginning. We have also launched an investigation into foreign trading abuses and taken steps to protect the production of American steel and aluminum. After years of federal contracts going to foreign bidders, we are ensuring that government agencies enforce “Buy American” rules and give preference to American companies — and that American companies hire American workers.

Crucially, to bring back our jobs, we are going to pursue a complete renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement: We’ve lost nearly a third of our manufacturing jobs in the 23 years since that terrible deal was approved.

At the center of our economic agenda, we’ve undertaken the most far-reaching effort in history to remove job-killing regulations. I’ve ordered that for every one new regulation, two old regulations must be eliminated. We’ve signed a record 13 Congressional Review Act resolutions to scrap job-crushing regulations, and I’ve signed 29?pieces of legislation in total — a mark not surpassed in the first 100 days since Harry S. Truman.

Those newly enacted laws include Veterans’ Choice legislation — which became law while at the same time we’ve increased by 42 percent the number of veterans approved to see the doctor of their choosing. And we’ve provided transparency by publishing all wait times at the Veterans Affairs health system online, backed up by a new Veterans Affairs Office of Accountability.

The first 100 days  Play Video12:17

The first 100 days of Donald Trump’s presidency have been chaotic and unpredictable. Reporters who covered it recount the events that dominated the news. (Alice Li, Jayne Orenstein, Julio Negron/The Washington Post)
On energy, the change has been profound. We’ve canceled restrictions on the production of oil, natural gas and clean coal.

What we’ve accomplished on immigration and criminal enforcement is nothing short of historic. After decades of unending illegal immigration and mass uncontrolled entry, we’ve turned the tide as never before — illegal border-crossings are down 73 percent. Visa processes are being reformed to substantially improve vetting and screening, and we’ve launched prototypes and bidding for the border wall to stop the scourge of drugs, human trafficking and illegal immigrants from coming into our country.

Federal law enforcement has begun a crackdown on sanctuary cities that harbor criminal aliens — because we know the first duty of government is to protect American citizens.

The Departments of Homeland Security, Justice and State, and the director of national intelligence, have formed an inter-agency group for the express purpose of dismantling transnational criminal cartels. The handcuffs have been removed from our prosecutors, and they’re targeting the drug dealers and gang members who prey on our citizens — and they’re working to eradicate the violent cartel MS-13.

The change on defense has been profound as well. The Defense Department has begun to rebuild and restore our military readiness. We’ve reasserted American leadership by holding the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria accountable for its monstrous use of banned chemical weapons against helpless, innocent civilians. Our successful missile strike enforced the red line that the previous administration drew but ignored, thus restoring our credibility with our friends and our deterrence with our foes. Finally, NATO countries are starting to pay billions of dollars more since I have made clear that the United States expects all of its allies to pay their fair share.

I delivered on one of my biggest promises, appointing and confirming a new justice to the Supreme Court who will be faithful to the U.S. Constitution. This is the first time a new justice has been confirmed in the first 100 days in 136 years.

As we’ve made these changes — on the border, on our economy, on our security — confidence has soared. And a survey of manufacturing reveals record-breaking optimism in the future. Consumer confidence hit a 16-year high . Thousands of new jobs are being re-shored back to America — including jobs at Ford, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler, Sprint, Intel and so many more.

We are proving that Buy and Hire American isn’t just a slogan — it’s now the policy of the U.S. government. It, along with the many other things we are doing, will Make America Great Again.

No longer will we listen to the same failed voices of the past who brought us nothing but war overseas, poverty at home and the loss of companies, jobs and our wealth to countries that have taken total advantage of the United States.

The White House is once again the People’s House. And I will do everything in my power to be the People’s President — to faithfully, loyally and proudly champion the incredible citizens who love this nation and who call this God-blessed land their home.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: April 30, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 30, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »

For normal people that just didn't like Hillary, this really makes you question the company you keep. For most trump voters though... screw immigrants, LGBTs, women and people on welfare, at least I got my precious tax cuts!
:lol:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: April 30, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
Great meltdown Cam.  Let us know when a government program is cut, and when a budget cut is actually a cut and not simply a decrease in a requested increase. 

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 30, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »

By Donald J. Trump
April 29 at 6:00 PM
Donald J. Trump is the president of the United States.

One hundred days ago, I took the oath of office and made a pledge: We are not merely going to transfer political power from one party to another, but instead are going to transfer that power from Washington, D.C., and give it back to the people.

ADVERTISING

In the past 100 days, I have kept that promise — and more.

Issue by issue, department by department, we are giving the people their country back. After decades of a shrinking middle class, open borders and the mass offshoring of American jobs and wealth, this government is working for the citizens of our country and no one else.

Opinions newsletter
Thought-provoking opinions and commentary, in your inbox daily.
The same establishment media that concealed these problems — and profited from them — is obviously not going to tell this story. That is why we are taking our message directly to America.

We have opened the White House doors to listen, engage and act. We’ve invited in labor leaders, factory owners, police officers, farmers, veterans and Democrats, Republicans and independents.

The change began with the termination of the Trans-Pacific Partnership — a 12-nation pact that would have shipped millions more jobs to other countries.

But leaving the TPP was only the beginning. We have also launched an investigation into foreign trading abuses and taken steps to protect the production of American steel and aluminum. After years of federal contracts going to foreign bidders, we are ensuring that government agencies enforce “Buy American” rules and give preference to American companies — and that American companies hire American workers.

Crucially, to bring back our jobs, we are going to pursue a complete renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement: We’ve lost nearly a third of our manufacturing jobs in the 23 years since that terrible deal was approved.

At the center of our economic agenda, we’ve undertaken the most far-reaching effort in history to remove job-killing regulations. I’ve ordered that for every one new regulation, two old regulations must be eliminated. We’ve signed a record 13 Congressional Review Act resolutions to scrap job-crushing regulations, and I’ve signed 29?pieces of legislation in total — a mark not surpassed in the first 100 days since Harry S. Truman.

Those newly enacted laws include Veterans’ Choice legislation — which became law while at the same time we’ve increased by 42 percent the number of veterans approved to see the doctor of their choosing. And we’ve provided transparency by publishing all wait times at the Veterans Affairs health system online, backed up by a new Veterans Affairs Office of Accountability.

The first 100 days  Play Video12:17

The first 100 days of Donald Trump’s presidency have been chaotic and unpredictable. Reporters who covered it recount the events that dominated the news. (Alice Li, Jayne Orenstein, Julio Negron/The Washington Post)
On energy, the change has been profound. We’ve canceled restrictions on the production of oil, natural gas and clean coal.

What we’ve accomplished on immigration and criminal enforcement is nothing short of historic. After decades of unending illegal immigration and mass uncontrolled entry, we’ve turned the tide as never before — illegal border-crossings are down 73 percent. Visa processes are being reformed to substantially improve vetting and screening, and we’ve launched prototypes and bidding for the border wall to stop the scourge of drugs, human trafficking and illegal immigrants from coming into our country.

Federal law enforcement has begun a crackdown on sanctuary cities that harbor criminal aliens — because we know the first duty of government is to protect American citizens.

The Departments of Homeland Security, Justice and State, and the director of national intelligence, have formed an inter-agency group for the express purpose of dismantling transnational criminal cartels. The handcuffs have been removed from our prosecutors, and they’re targeting the drug dealers and gang members who prey on our citizens — and they’re working to eradicate the violent cartel MS-13.

The change on defense has been profound as well. The Defense Department has begun to rebuild and restore our military readiness. We’ve reasserted American leadership by holding the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria accountable for its monstrous use of banned chemical weapons against helpless, innocent civilians. Our successful missile strike enforced the red line that the previous administration drew but ignored, thus restoring our credibility with our friends and our deterrence with our foes. Finally, NATO countries are starting to pay billions of dollars more since I have made clear that the United States expects all of its allies to pay their fair share.

I delivered on one of my biggest promises, appointing and confirming a new justice to the Supreme Court who will be faithful to the U.S. Constitution. This is the first time a new justice has been confirmed in the first 100 days in 136 years.

As we’ve made these changes — on the border, on our economy, on our security — confidence has soared. And a survey of manufacturing reveals record-breaking optimism in the future. Consumer confidence hit a 16-year high . Thousands of new jobs are being re-shored back to America — including jobs at Ford, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler, Sprint, Intel and so many more.

We are proving that Buy and Hire American isn’t just a slogan — it’s now the policy of the U.S. government. It, along with the many other things we are doing, will Make America Great Again.

No longer will we listen to the same failed voices of the past who brought us nothing but war overseas, poverty at home and the loss of companies, jobs and our wealth to countries that have taken total advantage of the United States.

The White House is once again the People’s House. And I will do everything in my power to be the People’s President — to faithfully, loyally and proudly champion the incredible citizens who love this nation and who call this God-blessed land their home.
:love:  could the Trump haters please pick out the actions described in this speech that they have problems with so I can better understand where you are coming from.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: April 30, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
If it is all true, I am good with it.  Not sure where all of these jobs were "re-shored"

The Big Train

« Reply #3440 on: April 30, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
if the white house is the peoples house why are the visitor logs kept private  :confused:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: April 30, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »

Mr. Trump has struggled so colorfully the past three months, we’ve barely noticed his great good luck—that in that time the Democratic Party and the progressive left have been having a very public nervous breakdown. The new head of the Democratic National Committee, Tom Perez, performs unhinged diatribes. He told an audience in Las Vegas that “Trump doesn’t give a sh— about health care.” In a Maine speech, “They call it a skinny budget. I call it a sh—y budget.” In Newark, he said Republicans “don’t give a sh— about people.”

This is said to be an attempt to get down with millennials. I know a lot of millennials and they’re not idiots, so that won’t work.

The perennially sunny Rep. Maxine Waters of California called Mr. Trump’s cabinet “a bunch of scumbags.” New York’s junior Democratic senator, Kirsten Gillibrand, has taken to using the F-word in interviews.

I thought Mr. Trump was supposed to be the loudmouth vulgarian who swears in public. They are aping what they profess to hate. They excoriated him for lowering the bar. Now look at them.

And they’re doing it because they have nothing else—not a plan, not a program, not a philosophy that can be uttered.

The closest they got to meaning recently was when Mr. Perez found it helpful to say, of a Democratic mayoral candidate who’d backed some pro-life bills, that that kind of thinking had no place in the party. Bernie Sanders rightly called this out as madness. You can’t do this “if we’re going to become a 50-state party.”

Imagine a great, lost party defining itself by who it’s throwing out. They’re like the Republicans the past 20 years, throwing people out for opposing Iraq or George W. Bush, or for not joining NeverTrump. Where does this get you? It gets you to where we are.

That most entrenched bastion of the progressive left, America’s great universities, has been swept by . . . well, one hardly knows what to call it. “Political correctness” is too old and doesn’t do it justice. It is a hysteria—a screeching, ignorant wave of sometimes violent intolerance for free speech. It is mortifying to see those who lead great universities cower in fear of it, attempt to placate it, instead of stopping it.

When I see tapes of the protests and riots at schools like Berkeley, Middlebury, Claremont McKenna and Yale, it doesn’t have the feel of something that happens in politics. It has the special brew of malice and personal instability seen in the Salem witch trials. It sent me back to rereading Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible.” Heather Mac Donald danced with the devil! Charles Murray put the needle in the poppet! As in 17th-century Salem, the accusers have no proof of anything because they don’t know, read or comprehend anything.

The cursing pols, the anathematizing abortion advocates, the screeching students—they are now the face of the progressive left.

This is what America sees now as the face of the Democratic Party. It is a party blowing itself up whose only hope is that Donald Trump blows up first.

He may not be lucky in all of his decisions or staffers, or in his own immaturities and dramas. But hand it to him a hundred days in: He’s lucky in his main foes.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: April 30, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
Words hurt.  Cmon proglibs

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: April 30, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
The struggle against ignorance and greed is arduous and not without stumbles. Put better, in the words of the great MLK,  "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

So where do we find ourselves and how'd we get here?

The corruption in our political process in this country is horrifying. Personally, I advocate on a state level on the periphery and get but a small glimpse at seeing "how the sausage is made". It's worse than you can possibly imagine. We need aggressive campaign finance reform and a quick reversal of citizens united yesterday.

To add, I will just say the media conglomeration and landscape are also partly to blame for our political climate and state, but I digress.

In terms of the future... Whether or not you realize it now, the silver lining in this all (for the non-knuckle-draggers) is that Donald Trump and the GOP have awakened and polarized a whole generation (the largest) against their entire philosophy and ideology. It's true, the democrats are going through some growing pains as the previous leadership and priorities die a slow and painful death.  Nonetheless, the truth and most prosperous path ultimately lies with better education of the masses, acting decisively based on consensus facts and science, acceptance and tolerance of everyone, in looking out for your fellow man, and in fighting against the obscene inequality in society currently.

In no shape, way, or form is that Trump or the GOP, with their climate denialism, corporate COLUSION, bigotry, misogyny, racism, war glorification, or wanton disregard for the least among us. The closest national party upholding justice and the truth are the Democrats but really only out of default... Which has honesty got them into the situation they are facing today. Bernie Sanders said it best, "The democrats aren't always right". But they are sure as crap, hands down, head and shoulders better than the republicans when it comes to being right, morally just, and leading us in the direction we need to be going as a species for the long haul.

I, for one, plan to use this all as more motivation to keep fighting for true change and no matter how long or grueling the journey, I want to be able to stand on the right side of history when I speak to future generations.

The real great tragedy of this administration and current GOP is the proliferation and normalization of incredibly destructive behaviors, policies, and viewpoints to our political but also societal zeitgeist.

Having said all that... Sure, DJT, GOP, and current hegemony are in charge for now. It won't always be that way... And possibly not past 2018 or 2020.

untuck manhattan

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: April 30, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
He fired a Nazi today  :D

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: April 30, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »
Delusion in 1000 words of streaming flow of consciousness

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: April 30, 2017, 07:27:07 PM »
Eight years ago, Charles Krauthammer assessed America’s future and famously wrote, “Decline is a choice. … Decline – or continued ascendancy – is in our hands.”

For the eight years that followed, under the administration of Barack Obama, decline was our chosen destination. Over the first 100 days of Donald Trump’s presidency, America is choosing to ascend again.

Obama’s presidency was defined by the expansion of government at home and appeasement and retreat abroad. Justly so, President Trump’s mission to correct our course has involved a wholesale rejection of his predecessor’s approach to government and view of the world.

Unlike Obama, President Trump has surrounded himself with men and women from the private sector who, like him, understand how businesses are run, jobs are created, and pay checks are grown. Those of his appointees with public service backgrounds, like Vice President Mike Pence, are principled conservatives who want to empower those outside of Washington, not in it.

Obama pledged to “fundamentally transform” the United States and tried many methods to do so. Changing the dominant judicial philosophy of the Supreme Court would have meant changing the very character of our country, but thanks to a major promise kept, that will not be happening anytime soon.

Simply put, President Trump saved the high court from a hostile liberal takeover. The importance of this victory for the cause of limited Constitutional government and the rule of law cannot be overstated. The rewards of replacing Antonin Scalia with another originalist like Neil Gorsuch will be realized for decades. On everything from First and Second Amendment rights to the many debates centered on federalism, this can only be seen as a major conservative achievement.

Ironically, the same pen used by Obama to enact much of his agenda is now being wielded by his successor to undo it. With each pillar of the Obama legacy he pulls down, President Trump is effectively unleashing our economy and setting America in a more dynamic direction.

President Trump understands that one of the greatest impediments to economic growth has been excessive red tape imposed by Washington. That is why in January he signed a monumental executive order requiring that for every new regulation written by federal agencies, two existing regulations must be cut.

The Obama years saw overregulation reach a record high with more than 20,000 new rules that collectively cost our economy more than $100 billion. The Trump years are already promising the opposite. By utilizing the Congressional Review Act (CRA), the president has signed more bills to repeal more regulations in his first 100 days than any president before him.

According to the American Action Forum, through the CRA and separate executive actions, President Trump’s regulatory rollback will save Americans more than $60 billion and more than 56 million hours of paperwork. He is succeeding in getting government out of the private sector’s way and protecting taxpayers in ways until recently unthinkable.

Once targets of frustrating political obstruction, the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines have now been approved for construction and completion. Once a cornerstone of liberal climate policy, the war on coal is now over. With the abolition of the EPA’s Clean Power Plan and Waters of the United Sates rule, an industry that employs thousands and provides affordable electricity to millions will no longer be strangled by smug federal bureaucrats.

Even on the matter of defending the unborn, President Trump affirmed his administration’s pro-life convictions early on when he reinstated the Mexico City Policy, which protects taxpayer dollars from funding abortion overseas.

Other areas of domestic policy have also been addressed by President Trump’s multitude of executive orders. With each action, he has commanded the federal government to ease burdens on the American people and set the stage for larger projects, such as the repeal and replacement of Obamacare and pro-growth tax reform.

In the global arena, America is undeniably leading with strength and confidence again.

No better snapshot of our rediscovered spine was seen than when Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad once again attacked his own people with chemical weapons. When this line was crossed in 2013, Obama publicly dithered for weeks and ultimately failed to enforce his own threat. This time, President Trump responded decisively within days and sent 59 Tomahawk missiles to destroy the airbase from where the gas attack was launched.

Our retaliation sent a simple yet unmistakable message to the entire world, friend and foe alike: We are a mighty superpower to trust, fear, and respect again.

Above all, we are an America that respects itself again.

Think about it: 100 days ago, we had a president who actually scolded us not to “get on our high horse” when criticizing radical Islam because of actions by Christians during the Crusades and slavery.

Now, we have a president unafraid to use both his inaugural address and a primetime speech to Congress to call our enemy by its name, condemn ISIS as “a network of lawless savages,” and declare it our war’s goal to “extinguish this vile enemy from our planet.”

As President Trump put it before the election: “We will stop apologizing for America, and we will start celebrating America.”

This renewed confidence in our righteousness was felt as we dropped the largest non-nuclear bomb in combat history on an ISIS cave in Afghanistan. It is why our Guantanamo Bay naval base is no longer at risk of being closed for ridiculous symbolic reasons.

Where there were apologies, there is now pride. Where there was indecision, there is now resolution. Where there was moral relativism, there is once again American exceptionalism. Instead of a lecturer as president, we now have a leader.

No president’s agenda has ever or will ever be completed in 100 days or even a year. There is still much work to be done and many promises to be fulfilled. Nevertheless, it is undeniable that our trajectory of weakness has been stopped and reversed.

As President Trump visits Pennsylvania this Saturday, those of us welcoming him will celebrate the beginning of an era in which the world’s greatest republic rejected decline and instead chose to reaffirm its strength, its principles, its potential, and yes, its greatness.

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: April 30, 2017, 07:32:07 PM »
untuck manhattan

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: April 30, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
For the "he's not doing what he said he'd do" crowd

One hundred days into President Trump’s administration, it is becoming evident that when considering his base, the president has been more successful than many would like to give him credit for.

There have been clear shortcomings though, which many Democratic analysts like myself have been quick to address.

President Trump has accomplished many of the campaign promises he ran on in 2016, and is currently enjoying an 84 percent approval rating among Republicans in the latest Washington Post/ABC News poll. More importantly, a full 98 percent of people who voted for him in November say that they are happy with their decision.

Maintaining this level of loyal Republican support has been critical to the president’s success as his approval rating among all Americans, including Democratic voters, hovers between 40 and 50 percent.

Let’s grade President Trump’s first 100 days, with specific attention to his ability to successfully meet his campaign promises:

Foreign Policy: A+

President Trump’s reassertion of U.S. leadership around the world was a foundational component of his campaign, and already his style of leadership has positively changed the way our global allies view the United States. In particular, the U.S. Navy’s Tomahawk missile strike on Syria’s Shayrat Airbase in response to the Assad regime’s horrific use of chemical weapons, made it clear that the president of the United States will not tolerate a red line being crossed or an appalling human rights violation to be committed on his watch.

Just one week later, President Trump authorized the use of the largest non-nuclear bomb in the US’s arsenal in Afghanistan to destroy a critical network of tunnels used by ISIS, as well as large caches of weapons.

Finally, the president has shifted U.S. foreign policy goals with China. Trump chose, instead of labeling China as a currency manipulator, to work on building a partnership with them in order to address the threat of North Korea.

Trump made good on his promise that he would ensure the United States would negotiate better deals with our international partners, and both his willingness and ability to pivot on China’s currency practices to address the North Korean threat demonstrates the president’s negotiating abilities.

Domestic Policy Agenda: C

President Trump’s inability to follow through on a signature promise to immediately “repeal and replace” ObamaCare within the first 100 days now presents serious challenges for other aspects of the president’s policy agenda.

President Trump was unable to unite moderate Republicans and more the conservative House Freedom Caucus behind his proposed replacement plan. This plan should have been formed through bipartisan means, and instead of focusing on repeal and replace, President Trump could have put fixing ObamaCare on the table. As it stands, even with the new addition of the MacArthur amendment in the latest iteration of the American Health Care Act, it does not appear that President Trump will be able to pass an effective ObamaCare replacement in the near term. 

President Trump’s struggles with his domestic agenda will not end with healthcare. Democrats are not going to consider his tax plan, with the tax cuts too heavily weighted on cuts for the rich. His plan will hurt states disproportionally with high state and local taxes, and putting their social safety net at risk.

President Trump’s tax plan is also indicative of how his policy prescriptions and rhetoric haven’t even hinted at a plan to reach out across the aisle. The upcoming infrastructure bill is an excellent opportunity for Trump to appeal to Democrats. That being said, the Democrats have to take the blame as well. Instead of constantly resisting his every move, Democrats need to article an agenda that could potentially win bipartisan support and help move this country forward.

The Supreme Court: B+

President Trump ran on the promise that if elected, he would appoint federal judges who uphold the constitution and support the Second Amendment. The nomination and appointment of Justice Neil Gorsuch has accomplished just that, and will be one of President Trump’s lasting successes from his first 100 days. 

Regulations, Trade and Jobs: A-

Trump promised that he would renegotiate or cancel many the United States’ trade agreements. Just this week, Canada and Mexico have agreed to begin renegotiating NAFTA, which from the outset has largely occurred on President Trump’s terms.

Previously, President Trump also pulled out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, enacted tougher enforcement of exporters who sell products below the cost of production, and requested a comprehensive report on “every possible cause of the U.S. trade deficit.”

Another key campaign promise was job creation. In particular, President Trump has begun the process of cutting federal regulations and expedited the construction of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines.

Additionally, President Trump also ran the plan to crack down on companies outsourcing jobs. The president has called out corporate leaders and companies to help ensure jobs do not go to Mexico, all while negotiating with corporations to invest in new facilitates and factories in America as a “vote of confidence” in his administration.

Immigration: B+

The president has done exactly as he said he would do with regards to immigration. Trump has proactively tried to enact a constitutionally acceptable version of the travel ban.

More importantly, however, President Trump has worked toward reforming the H1-B visa program in order to ensure that American workers will be a prioritized over foreign workers.

Finally, Trump has held steady on his promise for a wall along the U.S. Southern border, and has initiated funding talks, as well the possibility of public-private partnerships to ensure the wall’s completion.

Douglas E. Gruntley is a Fox News contributor. He has more than 30 years experience as a pollster and political consultant. His new book is "Putin's Master Plan". Follow him on Twitter @DouglasESchoen.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: April 30, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »
More op-ed pieces plz  :love:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite