General Discussion > Essentially Flyertalk

Lawrence is Hurting

(1/64) > >>

Brock Landers:
T's and P's little bro

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/apr/29/latest-federal-numbers-show-low-incomes-high-price/

The latest figures from the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis show Lawrence residents are feeling the pinch in two areas. The city's cost of living, although lower than the national average, is higher than in any other metro area in Kansas. To make Lawrence's predicament worse, residents also earn far less than those in other Kansas communities.

How big is the difference, you ask? Well, take Manhattan for example. The college community just west of us on Interstate 70 has a cost of living that is about 3.6 percent cheaper than Lawrence's. The per capita, inflation-adjusted income for a Manhattan resident, though, is about $7,700 more than what Lawrence residents earn.

ChiComCat:
The costs in Lawrence clearly get inflated due to it being a commuter school.  The locals are non-college student/graduate poors.

eastcat:
I guess the market for those eastern european basket weaving degrees didn't pan out like they had expected.

pissclams:
lawrence is full of scum and trash.  i'm not surprised to hear this news today.  a lot of the gang activity is moving quickly from topeka and into lawrence.  these gangs are very dangerous and have affiliations with gangs in omaha and st louis.  if any of you are in lawrence visiting for a game and get recruited by a gang, i warn you now to not even consider membership. 

bubbles4ksu:
no jobs in that little turnpike town  :sdeek:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version