Author Topic: It's Patterson!  (Read 18133 times)

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: It's Patterson!
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »
Congrats to former* K-State head coach Gary Patterson and his TCU team for their Rose Bowl win.  Gary, it may have sucked the way things went down with K-State a couple of years ago, with Snyder butting in and all when you were set to come home, but at least you now have a bigger win on your resume than Snyder has or will ever have, and you didn't have to put up with his shadow over you to accomplish it.

* For about an hour.

Snyder did beat an undefeated number one ranked team by 28 points and win the Big 12 title
More impressive than beating the number five ranked team in a bowl game

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »
TCU actually lost that game eliminating them from any chance of a BCS game that year.

It is a fairly small leap of logic that Fitz had a source telling him "It's Patterson" and the only hold up is if TCU made the BCS he wanted to coach the BCS bowl game.  Once that was no longer an issue Fitz attempted to break the story.

I forgot they lost the Utah, I stand corrected... again, when was the last time coaches changes are announced on November 7th?  It's jacked up cac regardless of being eliminated from BCS contention and trying to "break" the story.  I was  :bang: that afternoon, because it made no sense even before GP imploded on DFW radio... and before the "insidery" stories came to being.

True, but not only did Fitz announce the "hiring", he had the contract details in the article. 

Isn't Vanier a part owner of gpc?  I am sure there were at least a couple of the biggest boosters that had discussions with the Mustachioed one.

Someday Jmart needs to give us the scoop - probably after OB retires but hopefully before we are in the Sunbelt.

Offline billyzabka

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 11:05:39 PM »
If not Patterson, how about Bumpass? 

This guy thinks so:  http://affiliate.kickapps.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?w=149225&as=47305&d=625034&widgetId=96363

Would at least be better than Cosh. . . (oh and the name! :love:)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
KStateo had it's moment in the sun, it's best time to figure how to keep AQ status when this Big 12/10 "thing" blows over.  Who in the frac would want to coach at a Missouri Valley school?...........nobody with any selfworth.  Should join the Big East pronto!    Do you hear that Curie!!

TCU has it figured out, KStateo doesn't.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 11:49:08 PM »
If not Patterson, how about Bumpass? 

This guy thinks so:  http://affiliate.kickapps.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?w=149225&as=47305&d=625034&widgetId=96363

Would at least be better than Cosh. . . (oh and the name! :love:)

that guy also thinks that it matters whether or not the current recruits being brought in matter enough to care about what they think about things. they don't.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
Oh, if FITZ had just done what he does best and "sat on the story" while Gary finished the season and notified his team and administration on the terms he wanted to after the bowl game...

Patterson was not happening for more than one reason It's Patterson, or Not.
RIP Fatty

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »
Gee Rams do you think somebody may have been using Fitz??

Someone did but not for the reason you think
RIP Fatty

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
I suspect that OB swooped in at the last second and Wefald pulled the trigger and told Patterson to go eff himself cause his old buddy was coming back...but what the hell do I know?  :dunno:

Loads, I'd say.

That's actually pretty close to the insidery grumblings of the "true story."  However, there are also grumblings that the Fitz announcement accelerated the moving pieces and didn't allow for cooler heads to prevail...forcing one path instead of the other.  Also, at least one rumor I heard has it that one of Fitz's "sources" was Frank....which is hilarious if you have listened to Frank spin a recruiting yarn in person before.  The truth resides someplace between Fitz single handedly ruining us, and Krause being our hapless, would-be savior....but regardless of those conclusions it all still comes back to Wefald.

I'd say this is probably the most accurate summation.  The true villain in all of this is Wefald.  I've never spoken with him on the subject, but all of the tea leaves that you read say he was pretty much set up and only reported what he was told from someone high up.  I'm in the minority here, but I'm almost positive that he went to 'press' with word from either Krause or Jack Vanier, which is probably about as good as you're going to get, so I don't really fault Fitz for his sources.  I do fault him for the timing.  But that's a whole other thing I'm not going to get into.

I think it's pretty obvious from anyone that really followed this thing that the whole rough ridin' mess was Jon Wefald's fault.  He was the one that jammed Prince down our throats, he was the one that forced Weiser out (good or bad move is debatable) in favor of promoting a lackey to help promote his agenda, he knowingly approved all of those sweetheart deals (and I refuse to believe otherwise), and he found some way to eff up the Patterson deal by jamming Snyder back down our throats.

The day that piece of crap left Kansas State, I couldn't have been happier.  I know a lot of the tards, especially the old ones, will defend him and say how great he was for our university, but when you Gump your way into a great football program for about ten years, enrollments and donations will go up.  There were a lot of aesthetic things that are better about the school, and Hale library is very nice, but Schulz has shown more vision in one year than Wefald did in his last ten.  And he has shown a propensity to stay the eff out of the way when it comes to athletics.

All I could think about last night as I watched the Rose Bowl was how much I hated Jon Wefald.  I really can't think of any single person affiliated with this university that I despise more.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
Congrats to former* K-State head coach Gary Patterson and his TCU team for their Rose Bowl win.  Gary, it may have sucked the way things went down with K-State a couple of years ago, with Snyder butting in and all when you were set to come home, but at least you now have a bigger win on your resume than Snyder has or will ever have, and you didn't have to put up with his shadow over you to accomplish it.

* For about an hour.

Snyder did beat an undefeated number one ranked team by 28 points and win the Big 12 title
More impressive than beating the number five ranked team in a bowl game

I'd rather have a win in the rough ridin' Rose Bowl.

Are you serious?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »
There are so many variables to all of this that it's impossible to KNOW anything, but the single thing that I am MOST confident in, is that Currie will NOT take the next coach selection lightly.  

Every cockamamie "in waiting" theory out there is fatally flawed, because it assumes that Currie is rough ridin' stupid.  He isn't.  He from the SEC, ,he's his own man....he's doing things that have NEVER been done around here with fund raising, marketing, etc.  You think he's going to let Old Balls and his stack of printed rough ridin' emails dictate a single facet of the future of this program?  eff NO.  And thank God for that.

I'm praying that the rumors are true that Old Balls actually MIGHT make a change on his staff for the first time in his life....that's enough impossibility for me to allow myself to entertain right now with this program.

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 10:34:22 AM »
There are so many variables to all of this that it's impossible to KNOW anything, but the single thing that I am MOST confident in, is that Currie will NOT take the next coach selection lightly.  

Every cockamamie "in waiting" theory out there is fatally flawed, because it assumes that Currie is rough ridin' stupid.  He isn't.  He from the SEC, ,he's his own man....he's doing things that have NEVER been done around here with fund raising, marketing, etc.  You think he's going to let Old Balls and his stack of printed rough ridin' emails dictate a single facet of the future of this program?  eff NO.  And thank God for that.

I'm praying that the rumors are true that Old Balls actually MIGHT make a change on his staff for the first time in his life....that's enough impossibility for me to allow myself to entertain right now with this program.

Word. Currie is a Pro, Krause was just a dumass
RIP Fatty

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »
some huge guns coming out in this thread making for some good bbs-ing.  I don't mean that in the usual goEMAW circle jerk kind of way either. 

Its interesting to see so many different stories about the Patterson debacle.  Take parts from every story and you can get a bit of the real picture.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
Patterson still has relatives that live in Kansas.  According to them, he had accepted the job and was coming until we got Fitz Fracked. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »

Every crockamamie "in waiting" theory out there is fatally flawed, because it assumes that Currie is effing stupid.  He isn't.  He from the SEC, ,he's his own man....he's doing things that have NEVER been done around here with fund raising, marketing, etc.  You think he's going to let Old Balls and his stack of printed effing emails dictate a single facet of the future of this program?  eff NO.  And thank God for that.

My fear at this point is a power struggle between Currie, Snyder, and the big money shirt tucks that would accompany Snyder if it meant going straight to Hell with him and the program.

Like Weiser, I don't want to get to the point with Currie where he just looks at Snyder and his zombie army and says, "eff this.  I'm sick of dealing with your crap."  John Currie is a million times more important to the future of this university than LHC Bill Snyder is, and if it takes shitcanning Snyder to keep him, our idiot fans better show up at Vanier with pitchforks and force Snyder out of there.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »
I seem to hear about Kirk Schulz about once a month.  When Weefs was in his heyday of running Wefald State University, his godam name was everywhere as he sought out every available spotlight.  Guess which one should be the norm for your U President?

How much is that dick still being paid?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
Patterson still has relatives that live in Kansas.  According to them, he had accepted the job and was coming until we got Fitz shazbot!ed. 

I had heard the same until I spoke with a guy that spoke with relatives, and they said he never took the job and probably never would.

Now, it's hard to say what relative to believe over another, or who is right and who is wrong, but I was 100% sure of what you were telling me until I talked to him.

There is also the rumor out there that Patterson may be a TCU lifer because his wife is a big wig in Ft. Worth, and leaving there is going to take a very special situation.  It sounds like A&M is a very desirable job for them, but with Sherman finally figuring out how to win there, that job may not be an option.  And I don't think he has the personality for the bright lights of Austin, so I think there's a significant chance Patterson will be a TCU lifer and build them up.  Now that he's in an AQ conference, there's no good reason for him to go anywhere.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »
Patterson still has relatives that live in Kansas.  According to them, he had accepted the job and was coming until we got Fitz shazbot!ed. 

I had heard the same until I spoke with a guy that spoke with relatives, and they said he never took the job and probably never would.

Now, it's hard to say what relative to believe over another, or who is right and who is wrong, but I was 100% sure of what you were telling me until I talked to him.

There is also the rumor out there that Patterson may be a TCU lifer because his wife is a big wig in Ft. Worth, and leaving there is going to take a very special situation.  It sounds like A&M is a very desirable job for them, but with Sherman finally figuring out how to win there, that job may not be an option.  And I don't think he has the personality for the bright lights of Austin, so I think there's a significant chance Patterson will be a TCU lifer and build them up.  Now that he's in an AQ conference, there's no good reason for him to go anywhere.

He is gone, too big a commodity now even if he were inclined to leave TCU.  Our shot at him died at the catsup splattered keyboard over at the Pumphouse.

Offline bubu54

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
Some of you are idots....

Patterson was NEVER coming to K-State...Never

Whatever the reason the Fitz said what he said...I don't know

What I do know is the Patterson was NEVER...NEVER...coming

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »

That's your opinion.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »

Gary?     :emawkid:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
From the people I have spoken with that I trust:

Patterson had accepted the job.

FITZ's report was accurate in which he outlined the contract details that were provided by his agent.  Go back and read it.  This wasn't conjecture or speculation.  These were hard details being reported.

What infuriated Gary is that the story became public, against his wishes, before he had the opportunity to personally notify the TCU administration, who is extremely close with, his staff and his players who were all preparing for their biggest, most important game of the season and subsequent bowl game.

The story backed him into a corner, compromised his integrity, and essentially railroaded the process that he wanted to unfold on his terms.

There was also meddling by Wefald in the 11th hour that complicated the situation.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:24:59 AM by wabash909 »
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline bubu54

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
No not my opinion...It's what I know..

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
From the people I have spoken with that I trust:

Patterson had accepted the job.

FITZ's report was accurate in which he outlined the contract details that were provided by his agent.  Go back and read it.  This wasn't conjecture or speculation.  These were hard details being reported.

What infuriated Gary is that the story became public, against his wishes, before he had the opportunity to personally notify the TCU administration, who is extremely close with, his staff and his players who were all preparing for their biggest, most important game of the season and subsequent bowl game.

The story backed him into a corner, compromised his integrity, and essentially railroaded the process that he wanted to unfold on his terms.

There was also meddling by Wefald in the 11th hour that complicated the situation.

I will firmly believe that Fitz's report was ultimately too detailed to simply be conjecture.  At the very least, a proposal had been drawn up and was out there to review.

The other variable out that that no one's talking about is the fact that Gary Patterson is kind of an anti-social misanthrope.  Listening to him deal with the media is painful.  He's like a less funny LHC Bill Snyder.  I'm in the camp of, "There was more to the story than Fitz jumping the gun," but at the same time, Patterson is such a hothead and nut that I have no doubt that it played a part.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
I don't think Patterson was ever serious about coming here.