Author Topic: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.  (Read 299496 times)

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's struggle for relevance.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
I would rather have Dan Gable U than Upper Respiratory Infection State.  :th_twocents:

I like watching Hoiball tho

He's not going to stay there forever.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »
Great post, KK. Really enjoyed reading that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
I would rather have Dan Gable U than Upper Respiratory Infection State.  :th_twocents:

I like watching Hoiball tho

Iowa bb has been entertaining,  too. 

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 12:36:48 AM »
Nebraska FB will never be what it used to be.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 12:42:19 AM »
Wow. Beautiful.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

The Big Train

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 12:50:10 AM »
i enjoyed that article a lot, was almost sad when it ended, it had highs and lows and mostly current results of a poorly made decision which is most enjoyable for me

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
Hey Cornhole Fans, here's your 2014 Home Football Schedule

FAU
McNeese State
The U (Not bad, but nothing like it used to be)
Illinois
Rutgers
Purdue
Minnesota

Nothing of any long term traditional standing.   

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:12 AM »
On my way home from vision quest we decided to take I-80 across Nebraska while Nubb played @ Northwestern.  1)  Wow what a pathetic game.  The announcers were complaining about the refs and the field conditions, saying it was unfair.  2)  Stopped in two gas stations along the way, never saw a single red N on anyone's shirt.  And one gas station attendant saw my hat and said he likes K-State football.  This is like 30 minutes from Lincoln.  Like holy crap. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »
So the grass was a little longer and that constitutes it being "unfair"? 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »
The only teams with fewer than two losses that are ranked lower than Nebraska: Utah, East Carolina, Marshall, Duke.

Utah and Duke should both be ranked higher.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »
Hey Cornhole Fans, here's your 2014 Home Football Schedule

FAU
McNeese State
The U (Not bad, but nothing like it used to be)
Illinois
Rutgers
Purdue
Minnesota

Nothing of any long term traditional standing.

They don't even border one of those states!  :Carl:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
I would be a pissed season ticket holder.  Miami is the only exciting team on that home schedule and they are 5-3 this year.   :Yuck:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »
McNeese was an exciting game?  :dunno:

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
bad people deserve bad things
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »
They just feel so inferior to Texas, they cut off their nose.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
On my way home from vision quest we decided to take I-80 across Nebraska while Nubb played @ Northwestern.  1)  Wow what a pathetic game.  The announcers were complaining about the refs and the field conditions, saying it was unfair.  2)  Stopped in two gas stations along the way, never saw a single red N on anyone's shirt.  And one gas station attendant saw my hat and said he likes K-State football.  This is like 30 minutes from Lincoln.  Like holy crap.
York,  NE is home to a few EMAWs.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
Their transformation into a basketball school is in metamorphasis.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
Kstate had no problem staying in the Big XII because beating Texas wasn't all that hard. NU could never do it...and it bothered them... Really bad. So, bad that instead of toughing it out and out-living Mack Brown, they took the easy exit to the Big 10 where they thought the conference title was easy pickings. Another failed gamble. And the powers that be shuffled the divisions so that the best teams weren't all lumped into the same bracket, cuz, you know you wouldn't want NU to have to play tOSU, Michigan State, and Michigan all on the same year.

Their remaining schedule:
Purdue
@ Wisconsin
Minnesota
@ Iowa

Ya, lets all pile in the Winnebago and go to Wisconsin!

Meanwhile, EMAW gets to travel to beautiful Ft. Worth where a clash of two Top 10 teams is taking place, and will decide the college football playoff pecking order. (pops collar)....

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
Lady I work with has a Husker room dedicated to Nebraska memorabilia.  A whole room in her house.  Has always been a huge Nebraska football fan, we used to talk smack when Nebraska was in the Big 12.  Talked to her at lunch today--she told me that Nebraska football wasn't interesting anymore, and won't watch a game this year.  It makes me sad to see what the NU administration has done to this once proud Husker fan.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »
Lady I work with has a Husker room dedicated to Nebraska memorabilia.  A whole room in her house.  Has always been a huge Nebraska football fan, we used to talk smack when Nebraska was in the Big 12.  Talked to her at lunch today--she told me that Nebraska football wasn't interesting anymore, and won't watch a game this year.  It makes me sad to see what the NU administration has done to this once proud Husker fan.

It's die hard t-shirt fans like this that Nebraska failed to account for when they went to the Big 10. These fans are not going to be replaced.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »
They just feel so inferior to Texas, they cut off their nose.

In all fairness, when you give decision making power to Tom Osborne and Harvey Pearlman, you're screwed.

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »

Texas A&M showed that they could be courted and valued without Texas and found a cultural home for their angry East Texas militaristic traditions among the Confederate yearning of the Old South.
I lol'd at this.  All my cult aggie friends would feign offense at such an implication.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »
Since the break up of the old Big 12, those that left have mostly found what they were looking for: athletically, academically, culturally. 

Colorado broke with the central time zone crowd and joined the west coast, fulfilling their yearning to be a coastal cultural oasis among frosted mountaintops.

Texas A&M showed that they could be courted and valued without Texas and found a cultural home for their angry East Texas militaristic traditions among the Confederate yearning of the Old South.

Missouri seemed to be searching for an identity and were open to adopting whichever identity was available.  They began with important talk of their rightful place among the large public academic heavy weights of the Big Ten, then after turning tides, fully embraced the elite college football reputation of the SEC, even after being shoehorned in to the East division in a modern day Missouri Compromise.

The most successful and historic program that left the Big 12 was Nebraska.  Their reasons for leaving were academic, cultural and athletic.  They were upset with the power of Texas and the SWC voting bloc in the political machinations of the Big 12, they had largely lost ground competitively, and they felt stifled academically in the Big 12 among the land grants and the tier twos and wished to step up to the big time public ivies of the Big Ten.

Almost immediately there were obstacles: they were unceremoniously dumped by the AAU upon arrival to the Big Ten and were even voted out by some of their new colleagues, their football team continued to compete on the fringe of true national relevance, their cultural reputation now the hicks of the conference. 

Nearly everything seems to be going right for the Husker football team.  Nebraska currently has a legitimate Heisman contender on paper in Ameer Abdullah, a 7-1 team on track for a Big Ten title game berth and either a re-match against top 10 Michigan St or Ohio St.  But on the national scene, Nebraska is an after thought. 

Ranked 16th in the Coaches and 17th in the AP the Huskers must be shocked that no one seems to be paying them much mine.  or perhaps they've become used to being out of the national eye, even accepted their new role as a national underdog after years of being despised as a national power.

Still it is hard to imagine that the Nebraska fan base does not notice that they are the 14th ranked one loss team in the coach's behind 4 SEC team and 3 Big 12 teams all with one loss.  Perhaps most infuriating is that two loss LSU jumped Nebraska in the AP. 

To complete the humiliation, Ameer Abdullah is not a top 5 Heisman candidate despite his  FBS leading rushing numbers and highlight reel plays. 

Like some Greek tragedy, Nebraska attempted to escape the shadow of Texas only to become even more irrelevant.  The shadow of Texas has been replaced by the shadow of mediocrity offered by the Big Ten.  the Big Ten is now widely seen as an inferior conference to the SEC, the PAC-12 and yes, the Big 12. 

There may be escape from the droughts of the Texas sun, but there is no escape from the foul reputation of the ever expanding Big Ten.  It is there that by choice the Cornhuskers till a barren field and a harvest of dust

:love:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile