Author Topic: 14-3, #2 in the SEC, #24 in the AP..... Frank Martin has turned'em around..  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
it took awhile but he cleaned house and they will be dancing....

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Would love to play them in the first round when we sneak in as an 11 seed.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Florida and Kentucky this week.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
 :bwpopcorn:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I took him longer than I thought, but he chose a tough program. Good for Frank, I'll always look back fondly on his time here. I really appreciated the toughness and effort his teams consistently played with.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Where is that fulcrum post?  I'd like to read that again.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What a sap.

It has come.

Now I realize this is really no surprise to most posters here. Even the most optimistic toward oscar knew this time would come, some thought much sooner and some much later. Some made it a point to make comparisons and some ignored it. But for all of us "it" has always been there; comparing how oscar is doing at K-State and how Frank is doing building his own program from scratch.

Its safe to say that fulcrum has clearly shifted enough for the balance to swing; the better program now resides in Columbia, SC and not Manhattan, KS. One team sits outside the top 100 in kenpom and one sits in the top 30. One has won 7 straight games, including 2 wins over Big 12 teams. One has lost 3 straight, and looks like it will struggle to win 2 games in the Big 12. One has a pair of sophomores leading the program and turning into the best players in their league. The other has promising sophomores underachieving, struggling, and maybe even looking for a new place to play.

Frank's residue of toughness was real and its carryover had enormous benefits for oscar, one that he rode all the way to a league title (shared, but still). Since then the highlights have been sparse with a few nice wins over Gonzaga, Kansas, and Iowa State in the past year, but no NCAA tournament wins and then the disaster that has become this year's team. In four of the last seven games we've seen K-State teams fail to score 20 points in a half. We now see a K-State team at .500 at the latest point in a season since February of 2004. We see a K-State defense allowing a worse eFG% than any K-State team since kenpom started his rating system in 2002.

I once wrote stuff like this and this that highlighted some of the strengths of Frank Martin's teams. I won't deny that Martin recruited well for Kansas State, but let's not forget that not a single player from his tenure is currently playing NBA basketball. No doubt Martin had good players, but he built this program on toughness and effort; controlling things like offensive boards and getting to the free throw line while playing tenacious defense. His players bought in and things like effort and toughness were things you saw consistently from K-State basketball teams.

Even this year, K-State still does some things well under Weber.  We rebound decent (both sides), we shoot threes, surprisingly this year's team gets to the FT line a bunch, and we force TOs at a high rate . However, the eFG% stat (allowing 51.6%) highlights a huge problem that we now see with this team. Despite turning it over a bit, opponents find it far too easy to run offense and get good shots (both 2s and 3s) against K-State. As long as you allow teams to get comfortable and shoot at that rate you aren't going to be very good because shooting is obviously the most important factor for offensive success. Despite having K-State's best shooting team (51.9%) in the kenpom era and a FT rate of over 50%, the Cats turn it over on over 1/5 of their possessions leading to often ugly and mediocre offense.

Meanwhile Frank's team is allowing teams to shoot only 39.9% and he has one of the Top 10 efficiency defenses in the country while continuing to oboard in typical junkyard dog fashion. Frank's tough brand of basketball is clearly in place with a core of young players and it looks like South Carolina will be a competitive basketball program for years to come. Weber's brand looks to be firmly in place as well, where inconsistency is the only thing that's consistent while the coach rarely takes ownership for the problems while squeaking his way through vague explanations.

For K-State basketball a long season awaits, likely the first below .500 finish in over a decade and the end of an 8 year streak of postseason basketball. The sad transition that most expected is finally here.

Its a sad day for K-State basketball.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
sometimes things just sit there atop the fulcrum, balancing for a good long bit, before they swing.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
sometimes things just sit there atop the fulcrum, balancing for a good long bit, before they swing.

True.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'd be very cool with a USCe vs KSU matchup in the tourney.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
He needs really good defensive bigs it took him along time. Funny part there bigs are young. His guard play has been so disappointing. Offensive he is kinda of a mess now. Defense is elite tho.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile

I won't deny that Martin recruited well for Kansas State, but let's not forget that not a single player from his tenure is currently playing NBA basketball.
Beasley and McGruder now!
:adios:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I won't deny that Martin recruited well for Kansas State, but let's not forget that not a single player from his tenure is currently playing NBA basketball.
Beasley and McGruder now!

Yes. Its weird that neither was playing at the time I wrote that 2 years ago.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
29 South Carolina  SEC 14-3 +18.15 104.1 160 86.0 1 68.8 204 +.027 126 +4.66 41 106.4 43 101.8 60 +2.28 100
30 Kansas St.  B12 13-4 +17.93 114.3 31 96.4 54 66.2 307 -.106 336 -1.38 221 101.1 307 102.5 90 -7.60 340

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
29 South Carolina  SEC 14-3 +18.15 104.1 160 86.0 1 68.8 204 +.027 126 +4.66 41 106.4 43 101.8 60 +2.28 100
30 Kansas St.  B12 13-4 +17.93 114.3 31 96.4 54 66.2 307 -.106 336 -1.38 221 101.1 307 102.5 90 -7.60 340

Close!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
residue of toughness!

Was in Fran that first used this phrase?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
residue of toughness!

IIRC, yes.

I love Fran.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
residue of toughness!

IIRC, yes.

I love Fran.
Remember when Virginia Tech played in the OOD to start the 2010-11 season (ESPN's 24 hrs of hoops or something like that)? Brent and Bobby were there, IIRC and Bobby was talking about how Virginia Tech would face a lot of tough teams that season but they wouldn't face one tougher that the KSU Cats. If felt good to be a fan of something that was noted for toughness.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Isn't there a life at stake in all of this?

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

looking at both teams' schedule this week and early next.... looks like both are about to take a nosedive. Will our dive be harder than theirs? 8 ball says yes.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
UK is going to destroy USCe

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yes, I actually need to see a Frank team actually make Kentucky break a sweat before I dub USCe turned around.  USCe faltered mightily at crunch time last year. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
number of south carolina games that bookcat has watched this season?  my guess:  0

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
UK struggled against miss st last night. not saying you are wrong but i could be saying you are wrong

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
UK struggled against miss st last night. not saying you are wrong but i could be saying you are wrong
I watched the game, through blue colored glasses, I didn't really think they struggled. I think the referees destroyed the game with their constant whistles. If a game is called that way, it's going to be ugly. UK won, on the road, I'll take it. It'll be a lot different in front of 23.5k at Rupp this Saturday.