Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 317109 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2750 on: January 13, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
I am going to finish reading that, but right off the bat I disagree with the first paragraph.  No way they take 3-4 yrs to sunset.  The pubs have all control right now and have to accomplish something so large while they have that control.  Dragging it out one or more congressional elections, let alone possibly a presidential election, would keep the door open for it to get shut down. 

Surely they know this, which is why many recent articles hint that congress is keeping their foot on the gas even though trump is asking them to take their time.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: January 13, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
I am going to finish reading that, but right off the bat I disagree with the first paragraph.  No way they take 3-4 yrs to sunset.  The pubs have all control right now and have to accomplish something so large while they have that control.  Dragging it out one or more congressional elections, let alone possibly a presidential election, would keep the door open for it to get shut down. 

Surely they know this, which is why many recent articles hint that congress is keeping their foot on the gas even though trump is asking them to take their time.

I think (hope) they pass the laws quickly, but phase in implementation. I think that is what the article is referring to. I think that would be the reasonable, responsible thing to do. We need to give the states time to prepare for bloc granting Medicaid, setting up high risk pools, let the insurers start planning new policies, etc. People can't lose their existing policies and subsidies immediately.

But I agree I don't want to see this thing drag out 3-4 years. Politically, the best move would be a 2 year transition to get past the next midterm but well ahead of the presidential election.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: January 13, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
Kill it and bury it in a cat litter box.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
Part 2 of the series. Basically exactly what I already said.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/13/heres-what-happens-after-obamacare-is-gone/
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: January 15, 2017, 09:19:06 PM »
President-elect Donald Trump said in a weekend interview that he is nearing completion of a plan to replace President Obama’s signature health-care law with the goal of “insurance for everybody,”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-vows-insurance-for-everybody-in-obamacare-replacement-plan/2017/01/15/5f2b1e18-db5d-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: January 15, 2017, 10:18:07 PM »
Hopefully the house and senate get some sort of repeal and replace put together and then Trump vetoes it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: January 15, 2017, 10:27:59 PM »
Hopefully the house and senate get some sort of repeal and replace put together and then Trump vetoes it.

My god that would be amazing
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2757 on: January 15, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
1. I don't want congress to get rid of the pre-existing condition exemption

They're not going to get rid of guaranteed issue. I think that is what you are referring to. But I think they are going to allow insurance companies to charge higher premiums based upon preexisting conditions. That helps keep costs lower for everyone else in the pool.

I know you partially addressed this with block grants, but the problem will be that those premiums will be stupid high and those being charge such premiums are likely to not be able to afford them, effectively making them uninsured.

There should be a consequence to not buying insurance until you need it, and it shouldn't be that non-dipshits have to pay for it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: January 15, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
Who has been paying for all the er visits and births all these years?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: January 15, 2017, 11:33:18 PM »
I say those that are getting tax breaks for kiddos and marriage that are using the Healthcare system without insurance should absolutely get pinched.

When we have doctors not charging for procedures because they know they will never see a dime, we have a problem.

When we have people showing up to deliver with no prenatal care and thus making doctors liable that have go treat them, we have a problem.

If you can't afford healtchare, die. Don't procreate. You're already more of a burden than a help to mankind.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »
Nothing is free. If you can't pay up, starve. That should always be the way of the world.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: January 15, 2017, 11:38:11 PM »
Streaming flow of consciousness :/

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »
I think the best way to tackle this would be universal catastrophe coverage.  The huge stuff.  Then have a supplemental private market. 

It seems like there should be a way to do this and get things like hospital and script charges under control a little better.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: January 16, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
I think the best way to tackle this would be universal catastrophe coverage.  The huge stuff.  Then have a supplemental private market. 

It seems like there should be a way to do this and get things like hospital and script charges under control a little better.
I think might be a good approach.  Most people worry about a huge medical bill bankrupting them.  A big motivation for health insurance.  I like being able.to get insurance for preexisting conditions.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: January 16, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
Government provided universal catastrophic coverage? So then a big chunk of people would drop their current coverage and premiums would go up for everyone else? Also sounds like another entitlement that will ultimately creep to full blown single payer.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: January 16, 2017, 02:24:57 PM »
Government provided universal catastrophic coverage? So then a big chunk of people would drop their current coverage and premiums would go up for everyone else? Also sounds like another entitlement that will ultimately creep to full blown single payer.

Your premium would go down, since your insurance provider wouldn't be on the hook for catastrophic coverage. Unless you just want to pay more or something.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: January 16, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »

Your premium would go down, since your insurance provider wouldn't be on the hook for catastrophic coverage. Unless you just want to pay more or something.

Maybe. I'm skeptical. Seems to me that catastrophic coverage is cheap, so any savings as a result of my insurance capping out at a certain high level would be more than offset by the increase in premium caused by lots of people dropping their insurance entirely.

But that's just my gut reaction. I'm sure policy wonks on both sides have looked closer at the issue.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:42:28 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: January 16, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »
I don't think hardly any politicians have looked fully at it.  Recommending it would ruin your career at pretty much any given point in our history, including right now.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: January 16, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »

I think might be a good approach.  Most people worry about a huge medical bill bankrupting them.  A big motivation for health insurance.  I like being able.to get insurance for preexisting conditions.
Medical bills are a huge ruiner of credit as well.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: January 16, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »
I don't think hardly any politicians have looked fully at it.  Recommending it would ruin your career at pretty much any given point in our history, including right now.

I don't think hardly any politicians are capable of looking fully at it and coming to a logical conclusion.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: January 16, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

Iirc, they are either the #1 or #2 reason for personal bankruptcy.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: January 16, 2017, 04:34:23 PM »

Iirc, they are either the #1 or #2 reason for personal bankruptcy.
John Oliver did a segment on credit. It was fairly eye opening and sad.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
Obamacare is getting flushed, deal with it.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »

That is essentially what health insurance is

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:19 PM »

That is essentially what health insurance is

Not just health insurance, but all insurance.