Author Topic: Perfect city/area to live  (Read 12200 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect city/area to live
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach

both super hipstery and super rednecky.

i can't think of anywhere that isn't at least one of the two.  maybe on the east coast.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:21 AM »
Savannah, GA

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »
i've often thought that if i had to live in the united states, boise would be a pretty decent choice.  only spent two days there, so i'm not sure what it's like to actually live there, but it's a pretty great area and the weather is surprisingly nice.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:23 AM »
Issaquah, WA.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »
Lenexa, KS
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »

Issaquah, WA.

We have discussed the Seattle area on great detail. What's the sitch on hipsters, though?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:31 AM »
See, I want to live in a city, but I don't want to live around people.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
See, I want to live in a city, but I don't want to live around people.

i think cinc you've lived there you've developed a bit of innati tude problem

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 10:23:29 AM »

Issaquah, WA.

We have discussed the Seattle area on great detail. What's the sitch on hipsters, though?

That's why I placed you in that suburb.  You'd be hipster-free and in a Johnson County-ish scene for the most part, but among liberal-minded people and just 15 miles away from big-city adventure (and danger - tight t-shirts, weird haircuts, etc.).

I'm sure there's many suburbs just like it, but it's the one I currently go to when I need to make a tight, efficient weekend johnson county-ish strip mall errand run.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 10:24:47 AM »
Sounds pretty great. We know people in the area and really like it there.

I probably need a Seattle vs San Diego bbs brawl now

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »
Well one has unlimited drinking water the other doesn't. Not sure of your stance on drinking water though.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »
Well one has unlimited drinking water the other doesn't. Not sure of your stance on drinking water though.

We don't have any mio sweet tea to put in the drinking water though, so maybe san diego would be best.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure Washington is cold in the winter and super hipsterish if you ever wanna take the Mrs into the city. Seems like the opposite of what you're looking for.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »
kauai. it's not as expensive as you'd think. no rednecks and the hipsters are adorable surfer type hipster and not dress like a Mennonite and use a mechanical type writer at the coffee shop hipster. weather better than any place mentioned so far.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
I feel like the mrs will think that kauai is too far away. For some reason, she wants to visit family occasionally

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »
This is my lone heating/cooling implement in my place, just purchased Saturday at the best buy in the issaquah strip mall that includes home depot, fred meyer (kroger's walmart) and fatburger.  I never used my home's actual heating system during the winter, but I'm told this past winter was unusually mild, so I figure this thing will get me through a normal winter.  I thought summer would work with simply opening the windows, but it's been in the upper 80s this week, so I'm using this new fan too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dyson-am09-fan-heater-black-silver/2854038.p

Don't worry, when there's a danger of it getting that hot, the mayor's office issues advance warnings and helpful tips on how to not die.

https://twitter.com/TrimGoEMAW/status/614224531675217920

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »
kauai. it's not as expensive as you'd think. no rednecks and the hipsters are adorable surfer type hipster and not dress like a Mennonite and use a mechanical type writer at the coffee shop hipster. weather better than any place mentioned so far.

My dad knows a guy who moved there and but then moved back as soon as his work contract was over (a few years) because the cost of living was so high.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »

My dad knows a guy who moved there and but then moved back as soon as his work contract was over (a few years) because the cost of living was so high.

Same. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
I feel like I want to move somewhere because living in KS your whole life is super boring....but it would be a pain for me & Gooch to both find new jobs.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »

relative to KS/OK everywhere's cost of living is high

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »

Well even with the increased salary he got there he had way less discretionary spending money.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 11:02:55 AM »
@pissclams

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »
I feel like I want to move somewhere because living in KS your whole life is super boring....but it would be a pain for me & Gooch to both find new jobs.

Same.  Job would be an absolute monster to unwind right not and all but impossible to replicate anywhere outside of the KC metro.

Also, I feel like the above note about just traveling where you want to instead of moving is a great plan.  Stuff is cheap here and we have great air access to pretty much anywhere I want to go. 

I also feel that no matter where I would go, I would have the same level of frustrations I do now, they may just transfer to different sources.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »

Well even with the increased salary he got there he had way less discretionary spending money.

you will not find a better place to live than the central plains states if that is the deciding factor for you. I'd guess Kauai is much cheaper than San Francisco, much more expensive than Wichita, and roughly comparable to Seattle as far as cost of living goes. the thing about places that are expensive to live at is they are expensive because people want to live there, shitty places have low cost of living because people don't want to live there. this is pete's invisible hand in action.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »

you will not find a better place to live than the central plains states if that is the deciding factor for you. I'd guess Kauai is much cheaper than San Francisco, much more expensive than Wichita, and roughly comparable to Seattle as far as cost of living goes. the thing about places that are expensive to live at is they are expensive because people want to live there, shitty places have low cost of living because people don't want to live there. this is pete's invisible hand in action.

I'm conference calling you in next time I get "the call."  Warning, it will be between midnight and 2am.