Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 135793 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
In July 2017, The Selfish Gene was listed as the most influential science book of all time in a poll to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Royal Society science book prize.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
I'm a supporter of pop science people. I hope they succeed in restraining anti science people.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #352 on: July 25, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »
Good. Dawkins should face at least some blowback for his bombastic rhetoric. He's not as pure and innocent of it like he likes to think he is.

As a caliphate denier, how do you measure yourself against holocaust deniers?  Or are you a holocaust denier too?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40710165

I guess it was organized by someone else, but this really does not reflect well on Berkeley.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 25, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 25, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
I would like to restrict this guy's free speech.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1646682155365530&id=124091107624650&_rdr

What's crazy is when this guy posted his video, he was probably thought the interaction was a rousing victory on his part.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 25, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »

I guess it was organized by someone else, but this really does not reflect well on Berkeley.

Berkeley as in the University of California-Berkeley school or Berkeley the town? Because the KFPA hippies are exactly what I think of when I think of Berkeley the town.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 25, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »

Berkeley as in the University of California-Berkeley school or Berkeley the town? Because the KFPA hippies are exactly what I think of when I think of Berkeley the town.

Well, that and Lil B and G-Eazy

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 25, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
The first time I went to Berkeley I was like 9 and saw a homeless man take a crap in the middle of the sidewalk. That's what I think of when I think of Berkeley the town
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 25, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »

I always just assumed Berkeley was a college town for the university, so I never drew much of a distinction.  I guess this quote from the article kind of sums up my thought:

Known as the home of the Free Speech moment [movement?] in the 1960s, Berkeley has recently left that reputation in doubt as far-left protesters have sought to silence speakers and academics with whom they disagree.

But it also reflects poorly on their diligence since they were apparently like, "Woah, this guy is against religions other than Christianity?"

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 25, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »
Good. Dawkins should face at least some blowback for his bombastic rhetoric. He's not as pure and innocent of it like he likes to think he is.

He has a point.  The onus is on the radio station to research the guests they invite. 

In a letter to ticket-holders, the publicly funded radio station wrote: "We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science, when we didn't know he had offended and hurt - in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people."

someone who makes me uncomfortable central.  :facepalm:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 25, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »
the most evil religion in the world has to be Islam.

It’s tempting to say all religions are bad, and I do say all religions are bad, but it’s a worse temptation to say all religions are equally bad because they’re not,” he added.

“If you look at the actual impact that different religions have on the world it’s quite apparent that at present the most evil religion in the world has to be Islam.

“It’s terribly important to modify that because of course that doesn’t mean all Muslims are evil, very far from it. Individual Muslims suffer more from Islam than anyone else.

“They suffer from the homophobia, the misogyny, the joylessness which is preached by extreme Islam, Isis and the Iranian regime.

“So it is a major evil in the world, we do have to combat it, but we don’t do what Trump did and say all Muslims should be shut out of the country. That’s draconian, that’s illiberal, inhumane and wicked. I am against Islam not least because of the unpleasant effects it has on the lives of Muslims.
Dawkins is great.
:adios:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 26, 2017, 12:41:41 AM »
I mean, his comments are more right than wrong. And it is a disservice by this broadcaster to refuse to test his ideas in the competition of the market. But I suppose this probably generates more discussion than would his comments on a local radio station, so perhaps it's all the better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 26, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
The left is just so lost on the free speech vs political correctness issue.
:adios:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 31, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »
Quote from: andrew sullivan
It’s revealing, it seems to me, that Richard Dawkins is the latest target of the authoritarian left — and why he is under attack. This week, he was disinvited from a book event hosted by a progressive radio station, KPFA, because of his criticisms of Islam. “While KPFA emphatically supports serious free speech, we do not support abusive speech,” the radio station explained. “We apologize for not having had broader knowledge of Dawkins’s views [on Islam] much earlier.” This is hilarious. As anyone with a brain and an internet connection knows, Dawkins has made a second career out of vilifying religions of all kinds.

To take one random example, here’s what he has written of Judaism: “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” Why is he Islamophobic and not also obviously anti-Semitic? Why was one disqualifying and the other not? And I won’t begin to cite his fulminations against Christianity. Perhaps his sin was a recent, not completely relativist pronouncement that “it’s tempting to say all religions are bad, and I do say all religions are bad, but it’s a worse temptation to say all religions are equally bad because they’re not. If you look at the actual impact that different religions have on the world, it’s quite apparent that at present the most evil religion in the world has to be Islam.”

Notice the qualifier: “at the present.” And with that qualifier, who, on earth, could deny this? Is there a Christian regime currently anywhere even close to ISIS’s caliphate? How many Jewish terrorists are setting off bombs at pop concerts full of young girls? History is replete with horrors of all religions when abused by fanatics. But today, it is Islam that is clearly out in front. Dawkins is not, moreover, attacking Muslims. In fact, in the same interview, he immediately followed up with this: “It’s terribly important to modify that because of course that doesn’t mean all Muslims are evil, very far from it. Individual Muslims suffer more from Islam than anyone else.” KPFA couldn’t read that far?

I fear that the truth is Islam has become an untouchable shibboleth for some on the left. What they lacerate in other religions, they refuse to mention in Islam. Sexism, homophobia, the death penalty for apostasy … all of this is to be rationalized if the alternative is Islamophobia. Why, one wonders? Is it because Muslims are a small minority? But the same could be said for Jews. My best guess is simply that, for the far left, anything that is predominantly “of color” is preferable to anything, like Judaism and Christianity, that can usually be described as “white.” That’s how “intersectionality” can be used to defend what would otherwise be indefensible. The preoccupation with race on the far left is now so deep, in other words, it’s becoming simply an inversion of that on the far right.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 31, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
Doesn't get much better than studs talking about studs

Offline Republicat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 31, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
Doesn't get much better than studs talking about studs
Democrats suck because they don’t know history.
What Democrats know about history is that everyone born before them is a racist, and that’s that. We cannot learn from the past because everyone in the past was a racist. The Founding Fathers? Racists. And if you like them, you’re a racist

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 01, 2017, 12:23:10 AM »
For instance, USA Today bemoaned the lack of women and “lead actors of color” in its glowing review of Dunkirk, and several people complained on the internet about how the whole movie was just white dudes.
I haven't seen Dunkirk yet.  I sure want to see Hitler's fifth army of black transgender gay women.  Stupid.  We will be dang lucky to have any real history in the future.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2017, 01:57:37 AM »
If no God, what is the foundation for moral values? What is the basis for the value of human beings?
Why would we think we have a moral obligation to do anything?  Who or what imposes moral duties upon us?
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 01, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
Survival

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 01, 2017, 07:56:36 AM »
For instance, USA Today bemoaned the lack of women and “lead actors of color” in its glowing review of Dunkirk, and several people complained on the internet about how the whole movie was just white dudes.
I haven't seen Dunkirk yet.  I sure want to see Hitler's fifth army of black transgender gay women.  Stupid.  We will be dang lucky to have any real history in the future.

Reno, this is a lie, you're better than that

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 01, 2017, 08:36:26 AM »
If no God, what is the foundation for moral values? What is the basis for the value of human beings?
Why would we think we have a moral obligation to do anything?  Who or what imposes moral duties upon us?
The Harvest Baptist church in Manhattan tried to recruit me with this type of reasoning.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »
(Note:  Sourced from a non endwhackadoo self confirming pre-approved media outlet)

Note to Dave:  Make fun of white conservative Christians and you won't have any problems

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/03/chapelle-tells-yet-another-transgender-joke-the-response-is-insane/

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
Only in Berkley.  The most liberal PC city in America (???).  This ain't right.
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/08/05/vegans-bully-california-butcher-shop-into-hanging-animal-rights-sign.html

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
Yesterday I was at a Berkeley Whole Foods (which has a huge meats section) and didn't see any animal rights signs. This seems unfair.