Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980970 times)

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2010, 05:37:08 PM »
It's laughable that ku is an AAU school . . . in terms of many of their fellow AAU school their research and academic ranking is a joke.   

K-State Manhattan has just as much extramural research or more than ku Lawrence, they have to combine their medical center extramural research and ku lawrence to surpass K-State.    Compared to other major universities that have medical schools their total extramural research funding is extremely low.

What makes a University eligible to become an AAU school? 
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »
As I understand it Big 10 bylaws require all member institutions to have membership on the National Research University Council.   Mizzou meets this requirement, NU does not.  UT does, but would be a longshot for the Big 10.

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2010, 06:36:59 PM »
What makes a University eligible to become an AAU school?  

As far as I know, there are no specific requirements. The current members invite other schools to join if they have exceptional academics, graduation rate, etc.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:42:17 PM by TheMadCatter »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »
As I understand it Big 10 bylaws require all member institutions to have membership on the National Research University Council.   Mizzou meets this requirement, NU does not.  UT does, but would be a longshot for the Big 10.

I'll have to go back and look again, but from what I read I believe that they just said that the AAU membership was "required," but that the existing schools happen to all be members of the National Research University Council.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
The real question in all of this is...

Is the big 10 in the midst of a frantic push to branch out and add more television lucrative markets to feed their greed based appetites.  I mean clearly the conference has a large number of sets within the rust belt but how many of these people can still afford cable?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »
The real question in all of this is...

Is the big 10 in the midst of a frantic push to branch out and add more television lucrative markets to feed their greed based appetites.  I mean clearly the conference has a large number of sets within the rust belt but how many of these people can still afford cable?

There is one thing that the people from that part of the country understand, and that's if you aren't growing you're dying.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:09:05 PM by Pete »

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 08:05:50 PM »
With an expansion to 16 team is there any fear that the league is becoming too large to manage?  I mean the conference already has its own network what next its own lending arm (btac?) to finance new stadiums and paying of players?  Also by compensating some of their members at inflated wages (see Northwestern) the Big 10 could possibly incur long term "legacy costs" that could hamper further development. 

Furthermore at some point consumers are going to realize that the product available from the b16 is really crappy when compared to other products available.  I mean could ND be any more like a buick, hullabaloo was cool and classy 30 years ago but has been stale the majority of my adult life. (also buick and ND are both represented by sexual predators :pray:). 

Really the only hope a crapfest like this has is that the networks determine them tbtf and prop up the lousy excuse for an organization.  ;)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2010, 08:34:09 PM »
you guys are missing out on the opportunity to expand your fandome into more than it has ever been.  anyone know how to party like a mid-major parties?  anyone know how much beer a mid-major senior can chug on football saturday?  anyone here know exactly how great midmajor expectations are?  i do, because i've been living the midmajor life since attending k-state. 

some of  you are delusional.   midmajor parties have more puss/tang and booze then other bigger BCS parties b/c the midmajors know how and when to party and they don't let anyone tell them how to party.  they're writting the party/fandome book, not reading it. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:32 PM »
you guys are missing out on the opportunity to expand your fandome into more than it has ever been.  anyone know how to party like a mid-major parties?  anyone know how much beer a mid-major senior can chug on football saturday?  anyone here know exactly how great midmajor expectations are?  i do, because i've been living the midmajor life since attending k-state. 

some of  you are delusional.   midmajor parties have more puss/tang and booze then other bigger BCS parties b/c the midmajors know how and when to party and they don't let anyone tell them how to party.  they're writting the party/fandome book, not reading it. 

SDSU  :driving: :cheers: :drink: :bigtoke:

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
Let us form the sweetest of mid majors of all time Qhatz, Boise, Fresno, Utah, BYU, Colo St, OSU T-Tech, TCU, UH, NMSU, and Colorado (no way the PAC wants anything to do with that joke of an athletic department)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »
DO NOT WANT TO BE IN A MIDMAJOR CONF. WITH FRESNO!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »
do they have a college in puerto rico?  Mexico?  Could have midmajor latino super-conference.  Garden city juco bump to d1?

Brainstorming

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
do they have a college in puerto rico?  Mexico?  Could have midmajor latino super-conference.  Garden city juco bump to d1?

Brainstorming

This is a risk-free idea zone...keep those thoughts coming....

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »
I think we have the biggest football stadium in the MVC.  Also, Notre Dame is not an AAU school either.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »
I think we have the biggest football stadium in the MVC.  Also, Notre Dame is not an AAU school either.

GTFO, seriously?  Notre Dame isn't?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »
I suppose you could make the case that the Big 12 could go after Cincy and Lousiville if we lose NU and Mizzou.

We would be a ridic. basketball conference if that happened  :surprised:

Ya, I don't think that there is any question about whether we would want THEM, it's really about whether they would want US.  In my conference-end-of-days scenario above, they may have their pick between the ACC and the Big (cough, cough) 12.

Actually if the conference reallignment happens, the biggest loser could likely be not the Big East or the Big 12, but the ACC.  The ACC does not have a big TV deal, ESPN opted out of their ACC contract.  They literally have no hammer to swing.

I see the Big East, 12 and SEC grabbing ACC schools and others like Memphis.  The biggest revenue generator for these conferences is the TV contracts and the ACC doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:39 AM »
Part of the problem though is the Big XII is ridic cheap.  You really think we're throwing Memphis on our travel schedules?  We are screwed and are absorbing Mt West Pac-10 rejects.  How humiliating would it be if MU goes and CU goes and we trade for CSU and TCU?  That is like one of the better scenarios.

Offline thunderbowlt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2010, 01:34:07 AM »
Does the fact that it's got to be harder to win the conference title in a 16 team conference than in a 12 team confernce come into play anywhere?  I'd have to think that would be something of a negative.

And if five more teams come into the league, just to break even the revenue for the conference would have to go up 45%.  If it didn't, wouldn't the schools end up losing money on the deal?  I don't know anything about all the revenue streams, but seems like a big risk to me to make that big of a jump.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 08:44:49 AM »
Does the fact that it's got to be harder to win the conference title in a 16 team conference than in a 12 team confernce come into play anywhere?  I'd have to think that would be something of a negative.

And if five more teams come into the league, just to break even the revenue for the conference would have to go up 45%.  If it didn't, wouldn't the schools end up losing money on the deal?  I don't know anything about all the revenue streams, but seems like a big risk to me to make that big of a jump.

Exactly.  You may get more TV revenue with 16 teams, but no way your revenue goes up enough to cover the cost of dividing the overall share by that many teams. 

The42Yardstick

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »
By the way, this is great b/c now our budding Texas State - Kansas State rivalry can finally come to fruition  :excited: :pbj: :driving:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
Here's an idea.  Leave now for the Mountain West.  Don't wait around to get screwed.  Be proactive.  The Mountain West is a better fit for K-State now.  Just think of how much more appealing it will be when compared with remnant scraps of the Big 12.  Trust me.  A few years from now, you'll all be wishing that we had left.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
Here's an idea.  Leave now for the Mountain West.  Don't wait around to get screwed.  Be proactive.  The Mountain West is a better fit for K-State now.  Just think of how much more appealing it will be when compared with remnant scraps of the Big 12.  Trust me.  A few years from now, you'll all be wishing that we had left.

Maybe if we did it now, we could get them to agree to use Manhattan as the host for both the FB champ game and BB league tournament.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »

I think my ultimate conclusion was, if the State of Kansas is to remain relevant in college football long-term, then about two decades from now I would not be surprised to see serious discussion of a single state D-I school split into two campuses.   :surprised:
[/quote]

:surprised: You shut your dirty whore mouth right now with that talk...

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
Collin Cowherd of ESPN fame, is reporting that his insidery types are saying that ND is going to say "No," and that the first choice for the Big 10 if they vote to go to 12 is UCONN.  Then, he says that if they vote to go to 14, they are targeting UCONN, Pitt and Rutgers.

He is also saying that Utah and Colorado to the Pac-10 will happen.

Finally, he is "speculating" that TCU fills the open Big 12 spot.  DO NOT WANT TCU!!!!!!!!!!!!  :curse:  Tiny school who continues to steal recruits away from the Big 12 in Texas.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
Collin Cowherd of ESPN fame, is reporting that his insidery types are saying that ND is going to say "No," and that the first choice for the Big 10 if they vote to go to 12 is UCONN.  Then, he says that if they vote to go to 14, they are targeting UCONN, Pitt and Rutgers.

He is also saying that Utah and Colorado to the Pac-10 will happen.

Finally, he is "speculating" that TCU fills the open Big 12 spot.  DO NOT WANT TCU!!!!!!!!!!!!  :curse:  Tiny school who continues to steal recruits away from the Big 12 in Texas.

Oklahoma to the north than?