General Discussion > Essentially Flyertalk

Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?

(1/323) > >>

420seriouscat69:
So mine is on it's last leg. We've all known I bought a lemon for years. 2002 VW. It's only at 130,000 miles, but I've plugged so much $ into this POS. I feel like I just need it to get me through June (wedding), but the risk/reward is a bit terrifying. Like, every time I slow down and come to a stop light, it kicks back hard. When I have ppl in it, they feel like they're about to die, because they're not used to it. I figure I can do one last oil change tomorrow and get some crap tighten and then give it ago. What's the longest you went holding onto a POS?

Cartierfor3:
If I were you, I would drive it until it needs a repair you're unwilling to pay for. If something happens and there's a $1700 estimate to get it going again, punt. Until then, keep on with this ride

420seriouscat69:
To fix the kickback issue, it was going to be $700 about 3 months ago. I took it into my trusted guys and they tightened and said: "If you're planning on getting a new car soon, I wouldn't blow $700 on fixing this". I was shocked, but they tightened it up enough until it's just became a problem again now.

kso_FAN:
Our past two vehicles we drove until they basically died or were at least on life support.

First a couple years ago a 2000 Ranger pick up that was at 190K and was overheating with several other problems. We were able to trade it in on a 2010 Tacoma which has been fantastic. It just went over 100K miles, but its got a lot of life left.

Then my wife's Caravan with 185K started falling apart in the last 6-8 months. Finally traded it in a couple weeks ago on a 2015 Civic.

I've generally been a "drive it until it dies" person, but I'm not sure I'll go quite that far with our next round of vehicles.

star seed 7:
My car has around 120k, I've had it for 5 years and the sole repair on it in that time was $430. You should get something like that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version