Author Topic: not just missouri, best to avoid all cops  (Read 180734 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: not just missouri, best to avoid all cops
« Reply #200 on: August 03, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
whatever happened to that old dentist insurance exec who killed that guy by accident instead of unnecessarily tazing him?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »
And that absurd to think that cops need to be dragged around the hood for a minimum "x" laps before they can respond, because that is what you're advocating. The cop used fair, polite, firm commands to get what was legally required to drive.  The guy became combative and chose to escalate the situation through rhetoric and actions.  The cop never raised his voice and politely ordered the guy out of the vehicle (another lawful order).  None of that is being "trained as warriors" as you claim.  The best critique you have is that he should have got back in his car to initiate a pursuit through a neighborhood, and think about how stupid that sounds.

LOL the cop was not being polite at all. He was totally hostile and impatient.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
  None of that is being "trained as warriors" as you claim. 

they are tho
Trained as warrior = defending yourself when you believe you are being dragged by a guy who refuses to ID himself and has become combative as you proceed reasonably with a legal and common traffic stop.

i am talking more generally about the time police devote to training weapons, combat, and tactics in comparison to training de-escalating irate citizens after common traffic stops.

Look you can make a legitimate critique about concerns of too many vets applying their .mil background to police work and the use of .mil tech in general policing.  But you can't apply those concerns to this stop.  It's rough ridin' foolish to say that this cop wasn't reasonable up to the point of the struggle.  Don't want front plate laws, talk to the legislature.  It's a primary offense and a reasonable stop in high crime neighborhoods. http://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati 

I would ask this: what else do you believe the cop should have done up to the point of reaching in the car door?  Lets just start their.  In no way, IMO, can you say he wasn't polite, firm, but fair with his requests and demeanor.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:54 PM »

they are tho
Trained as warrior = defending yourself when you believe you are being dragged by a guy who refuses to ID himself and has become combative as you proceed reasonably with a legal and common traffic stop.
The guy was not combative.  I mean he was running away for fucks sake.  That is basically the literal opposite of combative. 

Maybe cops need training on understanding what being drug actually is.  I mean, he can't shoot someone based on what he thinks will eventually happen rather than what is.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2015, 03:50:23 PM »
i'm not talking about vets. im talking about police training to be warriors.

this is a real problem! i watched an episode of vice about it!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »
i mean just look at this photograph of a cop training for a routine traffic stop

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »

they are tho
The guy was not combative.  I mean he was running away for fucks sake.  That is basically the literal opposite of combative. 

Maybe cops need training on understanding what being drug actually is.  I mean, he can't shoot someone based on what he thinks will eventually happen rather than what is.

Refusing to say where your license is? Refusing to produce a necessary document that allows you to drive?  In a smart aleck fashion telling the cop to run his name?  Pulling the door shut as the cop lawfully tries to extricate him from the car?  Stop and watch the video at the very least.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »

they are tho

Refusing to say where your license is? Refusing to produce a necessary document that allows you to drive?  In a smart aleck fashion telling the cop to run his name?  Pulling the door shut as the cop lawfully tries to extricate him from the car?  Stop and watch the video at the very least.

you're insane

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »
I really hope EDN is trolling our assess off

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »

they are tho

you're insane

And you can't even have a reasonable conversation about this topic.

As already asked:
I would ask this: what else do you believe the cop should have done up to the point of reaching in the car door?  Lets just start their.  In no way, IMO, can you say he wasn't polite, firm, but fair with his requests and demeanor.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
objective super meta experiment:

google image search "police training"

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »

they are tho

you're insane

And you can't even have a reasonable conversation about this topic.

As already asked:

he should have politely and firmly stated that if the suspect turned the ignition and put the car into gear he would shoot him in the head.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
is it normal for University police to make traffic stops?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »
is it normal for University police to make traffic stops?

in their jurisdiction, yes.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 03, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »

your world?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »

your world?

haha

at what point would you have shot him, though?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »
As already asked:

As I said earlier, I think he could have been less hostile and let the guy speak, for starters. He was interrupting and was hostile and impatient. He also could have asked for the guys information and called it in to verify his license status (I'm guessing driving w/o a license on you carries a less severe punishment than driving with a suspended license). If that was not an option, he could have asked the guy to step out of the car (before opening the door). I'm not sure why he would need to have the guy get out of his car, but asking him would have been a far better option than reaching for the door and seatbelt.  That's just a start, I'm sure more could have been done.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »

your world?

haha

at what point would you have shot him, though?

Honest and tough question.  I'm not sure, but I would be in favor of calling it a clean shoot if the guy ran and the cop was dragged for some distance, particularly if stuck/attached to the car.  I think that fleeing in itself isn't necessarily a crime to be shot for, but endangering the safety of the public and the officer is.  Its a hard counter factual to answer, but I think Dubose was looking to flee the scene.  If the cop is simply knocked down, than no, get in your cruiser and pursue.  You have a faster car and a radio for that reason.  If the cop is dragged and Dubose has no interest in stopping, he is taking his life into his hands at that point.   

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »
What about Intent to Flee? Death Penalty?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »
It's nice to have K-S-U-W posting again?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2015, 05:23:18 PM »
The officer should have repeated himself and held fort until back up got there.  When he realized the car would take off soon, he should have verbally addressed that with the guy.   He should have done pretty much anything other than what he did.  I mean, worse case a guy without a license gets away that day....

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
most non-murderous humans don't even need training to know that if you're holding onto a car door and the car starts slowly moving that letting go of the door is a more ethical way to avoid being dragged than shooting the car's driver in the head.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 03, 2015, 05:55:15 PM »
I really hope EDN is trolling our assess off

nope, he really is a monster.  he has a history on this board.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."