Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4616009 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #57925 on: February 02, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
i am ready to burn the star down

Use the meme generator, it will make you feel better.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57926 on: February 02, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57927 on: February 02, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57928 on: February 02, 2016, 01:04:58 PM »
See, don't you feel better CF3!

(he better not say anything bad about Hootie)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57929 on: February 02, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57930 on: February 02, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57931 on: February 02, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57932 on: February 03, 2016, 09:36:50 AM »
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/judging-the-royals/article58125783.html

I'm guessing Dave Eland didn't ACTUALLY say the words, "I want us to lead the league in hit batsmen." Rather, I'd wager that Lee Judge is still just a blood thirsty monster.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57933 on: February 03, 2016, 10:07:21 AM »
we are the world champion kansas city royals and the kansas city star has a giant glass star wars looking building and they have lee judge and rustin dodd writing about the royals on the reg

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57934 on: February 03, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »
I like how he refers to Eiland as "Dave," since they're both in the pro ball biz and all

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57935 on: February 03, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/judging-the-royals/article58125783.html

I'm guessing Dave Eland didn't ACTUALLY say the words, "I want us to lead the league in hit batsmen." Rather, I'd wager that Lee Judge is still just a blood thirsty monster.

eiland prolly did say that.  his whole thing is pitching inside.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57936 on: February 03, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »

eiland prolly did say that.  his whole thing is pitching inside.

If he said that, I bet Lee Judge would have quoted him.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57937 on: February 03, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »

Some pitchers grew up throwing against hitters using metal bats. In that case jamming hitters might not get rewarded — it’s hard to saw off aluminum. A good pitch might still fall in for a single and bad one might leave the yard. Those pitchers might have grown up avoiding pitching inside for fear of giving up a home run.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Pitchers won't pitch inside because when they did against aluminum bats they couldn't "saw off" the hitter? Like, aluminum bats are less effective on pitches over the plate or......?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57938 on: February 03, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »
it makes sense to me.  like i'm not sure it's true, but it's logical.  if aluminum bats are better for hitting inside pitches then pitchers will learn to only pitch away instead of both inside and away.  obviously, regardless of wood or aluminum, you have to avoid the middle.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57939 on: February 03, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
it makes sense to me.  like i'm not sure it's true, but it's logical.  if aluminum bats are better for hitting inside pitches then pitchers will learn to only pitch away instead of both inside and away.  obviously, regardless of wood or aluminum, you have to avoid the middle.

most of these pitchers came up through the minors pitching against wooden bats. many of them haven't pitched against an aluminum bat since they were 17.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57940 on: February 03, 2016, 12:33:42 PM »
it would be like saying a veteran NBA player is struggling with 3s because the high school 3 point line is shorter.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57941 on: February 03, 2016, 12:35:20 PM »
Also, Lee doesn't even compare how much we pitch inside compared with the league as a whole. He uses anecdotal evidence of a mid season slump by Yordano (which may not have anything to do with pitching inside) and a series against the Jays in August to back up his claims. He's an idiot. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57942 on: February 03, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »
most of these pitchers came up through the minors pitching against wooden bats. many of them haven't pitched against an aluminum bat since they were 17.

that's true, i suppose.  baseball players do seem to spend a lot of time in the minors.  a pitcher that went to college would still have spent a long time pitching to aluminum though.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57943 on: February 03, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
Lee doesn't even compare how much we pitch inside compared with the league as a whole. He uses anecdotal evidence.

i mean that's like his whole gig.  every article he writes is expounding based on an anecdote.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57944 on: February 03, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Lee doesn't even compare how much we pitch inside compared with the league as a whole. He uses anecdotal evidence.

i mean that's like his whole gig.  every article he writes is expounding based on an anecdote.

i know and i hate him. like, he mentions the may 25 game in NYC as evidence that if only we had pitched inside, maybe we don't lose 14-1. he didn't mention that J Guts had nothing left as a pitcher and sucked all year

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57945 on: February 03, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
Jumping from Ventura to the Yankees thing seemed like it was implying he was to blame.  Pretty weak.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57946 on: February 03, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
Jumping from Ventura to the Yankees thing seemed like it was implying he was to blame.  Pretty weak.

i'm irrationally angry knowing lee judge gets paid thousands of dollars to do what he does.

Online joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57947 on: February 03, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »

i'm irrationally angry knowing lee judge gets paid thousands of dollars to do what he does.

Not sure it's irrational

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57948 on: February 03, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
i think he's paid to draw cartoons and he writes about the royals as a hobby.  getting to judge the royals might even be a perk of his cartoon job.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57949 on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »
i think he's paid to draw cartoons and he writes about the royals as a hobby.  getting to judge the royals might even be a perk of his cartoon job.

This. He's been at the Star doing cartoons since the 80s from what I could find. The Royals stuff just happened the last few years. I'm sure he's always liked baseball and its best for the Star to keep hiring some cheap writer for the beat (see Rustin) and then use Judge to "supplement" the Royals coverage. I'm sure there is a decent demographic (ie. old people) that still enjoy reading Judge.