Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980682 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27325 on: February 02, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
"Hi, I'm Kansas.  I co-occupy a really small state an have a historically bad football program.  I have AAU status, but it's consistently in jeopardy, and my state constantly threatens to yank secondary education funding critical to research.  But to counterbalance that, we are in one of the smallest population states with relatively low cable households to, at best, break even on added revenue."

It's quite the sales pitch.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27326 on: February 02, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
Oh, and if we were to add UConn and Cincy, let's just ignore the fact that the Big 12 would, at worst, be the second best basketball conference in the country every year, and with the addition of UConn, would be the ESPN's basketball darling.

Tons of reasons for them to leave. 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27327 on: February 02, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »
Pan goes bonkers in this thread.

First, networks can and will continue to be successful if you can force subscriptions because of locale (this will go away) or if you have large fan bases that willingly subscribe. The sec network will succeed either way. The big 10 will probably too. The acc, b12, and pac networks will/would never succeed without forcing subscriptions.  By the time you and Boren absorb that info we will probably have more dead weight than we do now.

The future of this conference monetarily is tier 1, 2 games and large pieces of the pie...unless you can snag some "name" schools,  expansion will spell the collapse of this conference.  I mean are u even looking at the piles of crap you're throwing of there? You're banking on hope and potential.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27328 on: February 02, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
Oh, so KU doesn't have much to offer other conferences but uconn is super dope in the b12. Thanks for proving my point. You're adding crap schools that no legitimate conference should consider.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27329 on: February 02, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »
Oh, so KU doesn't have much to offer other conferences but uconn is super dope in the b12. Thanks for proving my point. You're adding crap schools that no legitimate conference should consider.

You're comparing apples to oranges.  UConn at #11 or #12, that could bring a network and CCG is different than KU being team #16 or #15 with no real revenue carrot at the end of the stick.

Do people barf at TCU?  I sincerely hope not.  They've saved our collective asses two years in a row.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27330 on: February 02, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »

You're comparing apples to oranges.  UConn at #11 or #12, that could bring a network and CCG is different than KU being team #16 or #15 with no real revenue carrot at the end of the stick.

Do people barf at TCU?  I sincerely hope not.  They've saved our collective asses two years in a row.
I've also explained how conference networks can work. They won't be able to force subscriptions down people's throats forever. It will have to legitimate subscriptions. The writing on the wall is there for that.

Large or at least very dedicated medium sized fan bases will be required to sustain them. Uconn, or shitty Florida schools won't be enough. If they can develop their fan bases, we could entertain the idea in a decade or 3. Until then, we don't need to gamble, they aren't going anywhere.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #27331 on: February 02, 2016, 12:41:45 PM »
It's garbage city.

It will lead to garbage games in half empty stadiums/areas that no will want to watch.  If the idea was to transform the Big 12 into C-USA, well then by all means let's go for it and add all of the commuter schools we can find. 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27332 on: February 02, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »
It's garbage city.

It will lead to garbage games in half empty stadiums/areas that no will want to watch.  If the idea was to transform the Big 12 into C-USA, well then by all means let's go for it and add all of the commuter schools we can find.
Yep.

Either stay at 10 or go for the acc's throat. You can do that with fsu and Clemson only or 6 teams (with fsu and uc obv), split the conference into east and west divisions and be badass.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27333 on: February 02, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »
It's garbage city.

Wichita State wants to add football

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27334 on: February 02, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
I like the idea that UCF can get us FL cable subscribers:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-big-12-ucf-expansion-oklahoma-boren-media-20160201-story.html
 :lol:

Like most of the state aren't already Gator or Seminole fans. 

Maybe we can double down and get Florida Atlantic while we're going all Conference USA here.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #27335 on: February 02, 2016, 01:39:15 PM »
Let's add Kent State so we can get those Ohio TV sets!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27336 on: February 02, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
what about adding NYU?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27337 on: February 02, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
what about adding NYU?
I hear theres a lot of people in New York

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27338 on: February 02, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
Hey guys, we need to think outside the box here
https://www.unam.mx= untapped Mexico market

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #27339 on: February 02, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »
what about adding NYU?
American University...boom every TV set in the country

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27340 on: February 02, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
http://www2.ulaval.ca/accueil.html

Screw worrying about 3 time zones, 3 languages? Yes please :drool:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27341 on: February 02, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
It's garbage city.

Yep.

Either stay at 10 or go for the acc's throat. You can do that with fsu and Clemson only or 6 teams (with fsu and uc obv), split the conference into east and west divisions and be badass.

Poaching the ACC will never happen for a lot of different reasons, mainly that they don't want to be in a flyover state conference.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27342 on: February 02, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »
Does WackyCat08 have any connections at devry?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27343 on: February 02, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »
It's garbage city.

Yep.

Poaching the ACC will never happen for a lot of different reasons, mainly that they don't want to be in a flyover state conference.
I agree it's incredibly unlikely, which is why we should stay put. But your reasoning is incorrect. With two 8 team divisions they would basically keep what they already have but with a game or two (tops) in flyover states.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27344 on: February 02, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »

are there any colleges in mexico that are large enough that we could somehow coerce them to field a fball team and then we get all of the mexico television sets? canada? got to get outside the box here fellas. obv mex makes the most sense, borders tx but idk i mean canada? maybe?  :dunno:

the national university in mexico city has several hundred thousand students.  alum base and city size off the charts.  their soccer team competes in the pro league and won the national title a few years back.  american football (nfl mostly) is decently popular, though way behind soccer, and even bball.

tech de monterrey is much smaller, but has a national brand (and national branch campuses), has a better am fball team currently (not that that matters) and is much closer to texas.

realistically, you'd probably want to add both, if you really wanted to expand into mexico.

i'm still hoping we expand into mexico. find the biggest effing college there and then tell them to start playing american football. boom. the whole country is ours.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27345 on: February 02, 2016, 02:56:15 PM »

are there any colleges in mexico that are large enough that we could somehow coerce them to field a fball team and then we get all of the mexico television sets? canada? got to get outside the box here fellas. obv mex makes the most sense, borders tx but idk i mean canada? maybe?  :dunno:

the national university in mexico city has several hundred thousand students.  alum base and city size off the charts.  their soccer team competes in the pro league and won the national title a few years back.  american football (nfl mostly) is decently popular, though way behind soccer, and even bball.

tech de monterrey is much smaller, but has a national brand (and national branch campuses), has a better am fball team currently (not that that matters) and is much closer to texas.

realistically, you'd probably want to add both, if you really wanted to expand into mexico.

i'm still hoping we expand into mexico. find the biggest effing college there and then tell them to start playing american football. boom. the whole country is ours.
  :thumbs:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27346 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »
what about adding NYU?
American University...boom every TV set in the country

lol

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27347 on: February 02, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
I think we need the University of Phoenix and their fighting Arizona Cardinal sports teams.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27348 on: February 02, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
It's garbage city.

Yep.

I agree it's incredibly unlikely, which is why we should stay put. But your reasoning is incorrect. With two 8 team divisions they would basically keep what they already have but with a game or two (tops) in flyover states.

It's not about athletics.  They want to stay in an East Coast centric conference with a bunch of highly ranked private schools.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27349 on: February 02, 2016, 04:01:51 PM »
It's garbage city.

Yep.

It's not about athletics.  They want to stay in an East Coast centric conference with a bunch of highly ranked private schools.
I'm not sure how you can speak in absolutes about what "they" want.