Author Topic: Rules changes and advanced stats  (Read 8569 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Rules changes and advanced stats
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
Roughly 1/5 of the way into the new shot clock era, and its no surprise that pace is the main impact. With about 15% less shot clock to work with, the game is roughly 6% faster than average of the last 10 years.

Scoring, shooting, and FT rate are slightly higher than they were trending when rules changes came in 2014, but TO rate and Oboarding seem to be following the same decline. The first half of 2014 when the game was definitely called different alters a lot of the numbers from that year, but pretty much since then the game has been officiated similar to how it was before.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 01:08:13 PM »
Also, average possession length this year is down to 17.0 seconds. The average over the last 5 years is 18.1 seconds with the longest at 18.4 seconds per last season.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
Also, average possession length this year is down to 17.0 seconds. The average over the last 5 years is 18.1 seconds with the longest at 18.4 seconds per last season.

Pace seems to be the only really significant change. Officials haven't really done a great job of "cleaning up the game", but I don't think we should expect much from them anyway. System is kinda of broken.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
The rules on contact absolutely must be addressed. I get the intent to clean up physical play/hand checks on the perimeter, but when a ball handler can seemingly pick any point in a game and just dribble into a defender and draw a foul, the rule is being badly misapplied.

This is what you get when you try to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The physical play really didn't need cleaned up.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
Also, average possession length this year is down to 17.0 seconds.

gross.  they're ruining college bball.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
better for the nba

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »

Certainly creates space between college basketball's upper class and everyone else.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 03:57:10 PM »
Certainly creates space between college basketball's upper class and everyone else.

making another nba, except with unevenly distributed & mostly shitty players.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
the nba owns college ball and will do everything it can to make its (the NBA's) product as strong as it can be

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »
The main thing I've noticed from watching games is that the officiating is wildly inconsistent and probably the worst it's ever been. I have no idea what is and is not a foul anymore. It literally varies by the second.

I know it's not en vogue to trash the refs in goEtardland, but it's rough ridin' embarrassing how bad these stooges doing these games are. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were serial alcohol and drug abuse, and wagering on games. Two of the guys who regularly do our games look like fat greasy italian Rudolph the red nosed reindeers their rough ridin' cirrhosis is so bad.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »

since this is an advanced stats thread, is there any statistical evidence that supports this?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 11:47:15 PM »
The main thing I've noticed from watching games is that the officiating is wildly inconsistent and probably the worst it's ever been. I have no idea what is and is not a foul anymore. It literally varies by the second.

I know it's not en vogue to trash the refs in goEtardland, but it's rough ridin' embarrassing how bad these stooges doing these games are. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were serial alcohol and drug abuse, and wagering on games. Two of the guys who regularly do our games look like fat greasy italian Rudolph the red nosed reindeers their rough ridin' cirrhosis is so bad.

This fresh take brought to you by Subway. Subway, eat fresh.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »

since this is an advanced stats thread, is there any statistical evidence that supports this?

Sure, the statistical evidence is that the length of possessions are down which means the number of possessions are up. More possessions favor better athletes and shot makers. The end.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »
that wasn't very advanced at all

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 11:52:07 PM »
Do I need advanced stats to prove that lighter people are more prone to sunburn?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 11:54:41 PM »
I'm going to guess that scoring margin will increase, generally accepted as common sense when scoring increases.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 12:03:59 AM »
I'm going to guess that scoring margin will increase, generally accepted as common sense when scoring increases.
Yes. But will that truly lead to less parity? I'm not convinced 1 fewer second per possession will make much of an impact.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 12:12:07 AM »
Yes. But will that truly lead to less parity? I'm not convinced 1 fewer second per possession will make much of an impact.

If the NCAA is for real about making the game less physical, it should support more skilled/experienced/IQ players over more athletic players thus increasing parity. We have seen Virginia lose to George Washington, UNC lose to UNI and Miami lose to Northeastern. But that has a sample size problem.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 12:15:16 AM »
It is definitely interesting that making it more important to have good shooters and athletes on a basketball team is viewed as a bad idea on this blog.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2015, 12:33:06 AM »
It is definitely interesting that making it more important to have good shooters and athletes on a basketball team is viewed as a bad idea on this blog.

i don't think anyone said that, or even anything from which that logically follows.  i know i didn't, i said that decreasing the shot clock is a negative.  i'd like to go back to 45 or at least 40.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 12:39:49 AM »

i don't think anyone said that, or even anything from which that logically follows.  i know i didn't, i said that decreasing the shot clock is a negative.  i'd like to go back to 45 or at least 40.

This makes so much sense, too bad know one the matters can figure it out. Adds more strategy, handicaps defenses.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 08:17:53 AM »

Yes, mir said that move would make shouting and athleticism more important. Why would you prefer a 45 second clock?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
I don't know if its the intent, but Indiana scored nearly 1.2 points per possession last night and lost while Duke scored an incredible 1.52 PPP in their 94-74 win. That is either a game of a) incredible offensive skill enhanced by the new rule changes or b) a game in which neither team played very much defense. Probably a mix of the two I suppose.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »

Yes, mir said that move would make shouting and athleticism more important. Why would you prefer a 45 second clock?

Yeah, I don't see much difference. If teams don't get an easy quick basket in transition, coaches just have 5 less seconds now to run some offense before they call a ball screen or run a shooter through a stagger for a shot in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »
It seems to me that less physical contact allowed will favor the more athletic players who should be more successful at getting to the basket without others pushing them off of it.  If you can't check or forearm a kid that is faster than you, that kid will get around you.  I would think this would open up all kinds of shooting for the teams with the elite talent and punish teams that go get kids that can physical up a game, Frank style.

If the rule is enforced, I think we see a benefit from the top tier teams.

That said, I think the non con did a pretty good job with the new rules until the CBE tourn.  The CBE refs let those games be played like any game in the last 5 yrs.  Even the commentator guy noted it.  He said that the refs were letting them play as long as no obvs advantage was gained from the contact, which is pretty much the exact excuse we have been hearing for years on why kids can push, forarm, check, swipe etc others without a call.