Author Topic: First Of Many...  (Read 6209 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: First Of Many...
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
Greg, we have a good chance to win the next 4.  Saturday, a win.  WaSU should be a win.  Iowa State 50/50 chance. Then the first Big 12 home game against Mountaineer Fats, last year we won at home. So, GregKSU sleep well and enjoy Christmas.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Rebounding has been the biggest red flag so far.  ASU seems to be a legit team and they needed every bit of their 30+ FTs to beat us.

That said, I have long thought that if we are going to have a chance to make a decent run in the NCAA, becoming a live/die by the 3 team is not a bad way to do it.  So I actually like that shift this year.  No question we died by the 3 against Tulsa though.

We haven't shifted to it, as in oscar never relied on the 3 to win, now he is. The three has always been the vehicle that drives oscar's teams on the offensive end. We just have our most trusted, best scoring players on the perimeter and none in the post. If I'm Barry or Kam or Sneed, I'm hearing nothing of Weber if he starts interfering in their more free flowing perimeter approach. I suppose things can get better with some of these post guys, but the beginning of conference play could create a slight regression from where they are today. This team is bubble at best. I suppose for me, I'll enjoy seeing Barry develop more and let the wins and losses be what they are. This is a classic oscar team. They all have a timelessness to them I'm beginning to learn.

Making 3s, having a high assist rate, and having a low TO rate are the 3 biggest factors on offense success during oscar's career as a P6 level coach.

A shooting night like vs Tulsa is something that usually happens under oscar, but it is a once or twice a season thing.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
Greg, we have a good chance to win the next 4.  Saturday, a win.  WaSU should be a win.  Iowa State 50/50 chance. Then the first Big 12 home game against Mountaineer Fats, last year we won at home. So, GregKSU sleep well and enjoy Christmas.
I think we lose ISU.
West Virginia is a toss up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »
we'll end the season on the bubble, how we get there is pretty immaterial

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
I am impressed with the discussion of what might be right and what might be wrong with our team. 

I am of the opinion that few teams can win by taking it inside against a packed in zone.  You either hit some threes or you are in trouble.  There is a reason players that can shoot from range are called zone busters.  If you have a night like we did against Tulsa, the defense is going to pack it tighter and tighter.  When Kam and Barry tried to drive the zone in the second half, they had to put up runners (Kam)  or ended up charging.(Barry)  Sneed and Claws got a couple of jumpers in the lane but were also missing some of those. 
Another comment in this thread was the largest weakness of this team is rebounding and that is painfully obvious.  When we go 4 for 31 from three, we need to figure out how to get more offensive boards.  Maybe give up an occasional fast break in order to focus more on offensive boards. 

Bottom line is if we shoot like that in more than a couple of Big 12 games we will not win enough to make the tournament.  If we shoot like we did against ASU, we will end up in the top half of the conference. 
I mean, hmmm

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
I am impressed with the discussion of what might be right and what might be wrong with our team. 

I am of the opinion that few teams can win by taking it inside against a packed in zone.  You either hit some threes or you are in trouble.  There is a reason players that can shoot from range are called zone busters.  If you have a night like we did against Tulsa, the defense is going to pack it tighter and tighter.  When Kam and Barry tried to drive the zone in the second half, they had to put up runners (Kam)  or ended up charging.(Barry)  Sneed and Claws got a couple of jumpers in the lane but were also missing some of those. 
Another comment in this thread was the largest weakness of this team is rebounding and that is painfully obvious.  When we go 4 for 31 from three, we need to figure out how to get more offensive boards.  Maybe give up an occasional fast break in order to focus more on offensive boards. 

Bottom line is if we shoot like that in more than a couple of Big 12 games we will not win enough to make the tournament.  If we shoot like we did against ASU, we will end up in the top half of the conference. 
I mean, hmmm

He's right.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »
a) you’re a rough ridin' idiot

there is no b

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »
we'll end the season on the bubble, how we get there is pretty immaterial

A great reason to drink excessively during this season's games. We really do need the "road" W at Wazzu. Conference RPI is great, so we've got a chance to improve on our pretty awful current RPI as the season progresses.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 07:57:17 AM »

there is no b

b)   Throwing out an insult instead of discussing my opinion always makes me feel bigger.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »

there is no b

b)   Throwing out an insult instead of discussing my opinion always makes me feel bigger.
your mom makes me feel bigger

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 04:36:17 PM »
Oklahoma is going to blow up the prediction for this year.  60% winning could put us in the higher echelons.  We have the talent,.but I am weary of the ability of our coaches to get the maximum out of them, especially in close games.  There will be a lot of close games in the Big 12 this year.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »

there is no b

:lol: :lol:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2017, 12:43:07 AM »
Greg.  At 3.5 minutes left and the Mawien bonehead 3 attempt, I was ready for the Oscar swoon and post game excuses.   But, but, but ..... we got some grit, a bur up our butts, hustle, and won the game.  Maybe meltdowns are not now the norm.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2017, 01:53:12 AM »
Greg.  At 3.5 minutes left and the Mawien bonehead 3 attempt, I was ready for the Oscar swoon and post game excuses.   But, but, but ..... we got some grit, a bur up our butts, hustle, and won the game.  Maybe meltdowns are not now the norm.
Oh man it's the Flush's team guys

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2017, 07:04:51 AM »
Oh man it's the Flush's team guys

Sort of reminded me of how Pullen would not give up.  In the Wyatt post game chat Brown said he wanted to win the game.  Brown did not want a repeat of Tulsa.  The following from the Associated Press:
"SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — The Flush Jr. seemed to do everything for Kansas State when the game against Washington State was on the line.

Brown scored the last six points during a 10-0 run in the closing minutes that lifted Kansas State to a 68-65 come-from-behind victory over the Cougars on Wednesday night at the Spokane Arena.

Brown finished with 23 points and six rebounds. Makol Mawien added 15 points and nine boards for Kansas State (10-2), which has won six of its past seven games."

If Sneed would have not had the  bad night he had ....... wow.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »
Well, Brown was very " Fred Peete in Casper, WY"ish.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
Oklahoma is going to blow up the prediction for this year.  60% winning could put us in the higher echelons.  We have the talent,.but I am weary of the ability of our coaches to get the maximum out of them, especially in close games.  There will be a lot of close games in the Big 12 this year.
I am bold enough to predict OU will win the league if Trae Young stays healthy.  You need to go to the Doomit and see a budding superstar.   OU was not supposed to be good.  Bad news for us.

"Young is now averaging 28.7 points and 10.4 assists on the season. He leads the nation in both categories. And when you consider no freshman has ever led the nation in points and assists, it's not ridiculous, in fact it's accurate, to suggest we're watching Young do things nobody his age has ever done in this sport." CBS sports
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:16:06 PM by renocat »

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »
I have friends that go to WSU and will driving up with me to MHK to sit in ICAT with me for West Virginia to watch real basketball. I told them about OU when they came to town and they did not believe me. Let's just say they are believers, and that they think that nothing can stop Trae Young.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »

there is no b

:lol: :lol:
I hadn't heard that come back since high school.  I am really impressed. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »
your face is really impressed

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »
Greg, I can see us winning the first 5 conference games.  Yes this includes a win at Kaw Field House.  Then getting tortured by OU and TCU.  How we then do at Baylor and at home against KU will determine if we have our regular swoon and start hollering for Oscars head.   I think it is time for change even if we kind of do okay.  Why?  Attendance is pitiful. No enthusiasm for basketball.  No hope of getting better on the horizon with no hot prospects in the pipeline.  It all gets back to recruiting.  In 2 years, we won't happen much of anything.  Taylor owes a chance for good sustainable basketball.  Weber is a stop gap.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
We will not win at Lawrence.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »
We will not win at Lawrence.
You are likely right.  I give it 30% of happening wire the shortage of KU players.  The activation of KU Sousa will make things tougher.  With love coming back, we hAve 25 fouls to throw at him and Abizukee.