Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 631079 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #10125 on: December 15, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
@scottwildcat @Tobias @mocat  @ednksu  @sunny_cat @SleepFighter @Spaces
You guys give up on MLS?

This has been an insane week. SAS traded and I'm pissed about it. How many more years are they expecting to get out of Zusi? Then they sign a DP, who looks like an eventual replacement for Benny. I'm confused, are we replacing core players or not?

I also want to talk about these additions, Khiry Shelton and this French DP. Why do we keep adding these projects? Why can other clubs sign bonafied goal scorers, sure fire guys, but we can't? Nicolic, Martinez, Almiron, Villalba, Ola Kamara, Mendunjanin, etc. are all dudes we could have had. Is the ownership cheap, are the scouts bad, both?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #10126 on: December 16, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
I'm reading about all these moves, and I'll be honest, I don't know enough about the league rules to comment, especially with the expansion draft.  I've seen people say that some of the moves were the result of protecting some core players and not Blessing, because of slots of domestic players versus internationals.  Or that we signed one dude about to retire to skew the numbers a bit with the expectation he moves on. 

The facebook reaction  to Croizet (3 goals wtfbbq) hasn't been too positive, which says something when management said they were going to spend big to get some scoring. I don't know what other avenues there are available to get the firepower/finisher skc needs. Seems like SKC's euro scouts can find some good players (I don't know how many we have for Europe?  Can one team take credit for krisztian, Diego, and Salloi?) so maybe these cats from Europe will pan out. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: December 16, 2017, 11:28:38 PM »
I don't know who scouted Nemeth and Diego, who I wouldn't say has worked out as of yet. I don't think Salloi was necessarily scouted, I think his dad wanted to send him to America and he had a previous relationship with Vermes so his dad sent him to high school in JoCo.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: December 18, 2017, 07:35:39 AM »
You guys give up on MLS?

This has been an insane week. SAS traded and I'm pissed about it. How many more years are they expecting to get out of Zusi? Then they sign a DP, who looks like an eventual replacement for Benny. I'm confused, are we replacing core players or not?

I also want to talk about these additions, Khiry Shelton and this French DP. Why do we keep adding these projects? Why can other clubs sign bonafied goal scorers, sure fire guys, but we can't? Nicolic, Martinez, Almiron, Villalba, Ola Kamara, Mendunjanin, etc. are all dudes we could have had. Is the ownership cheap, are the scouts bad, both?

i just am not on message boards much anymore. I'm sorry.

I think for whatever our ownership/scouting department/PV thinks that buying high priced strikers are not worth the money. I think they've found guys on the cheap to bang in goals/found guys in the draft int he past. Trading SAS was a bit surprising but i wouldn't go as far as saying i'm pissed. i think we will be able to get along with Zusi being a quality defender in MLS for another year or two. I haven't done enough research on this french dude to say if i like that move or not. Fact of the matter is Benny out of all the core players this past year was the worst and the most needed guy to be replaced from the likes of Matt, Zusi, Roger, Benny. There is still tons of time in the off season and a lot of GAM/TAM to be spent. I'm crushed Latif is gone. That made me very sad.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: December 19, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »
You guys give up on MLS?

I haven't really been able to make sense of everything, but I do like Shelton. He's just depth though in all likelihood.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: December 19, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
I don't have many thoughts on any of it. I'm in offseason mode until March and trust our ownership.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: December 19, 2017, 11:39:13 AM »
I was happy to see Toronto beat Seattle in the final last week.  :Woot:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: December 19, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »
Nashville will be joining in 2019  :Woohoo:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: January 03, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »
Benny sold to LAFC for 400k allocation money. They must really like that new DP.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »
Just money?

I know his real value has slipped a lot over the last two seasons, but that seems too cheap to let him go.  The front office needs to get moving making some splashes with a quickness, IMO.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
Just money?

I know his real value has slipped a lot over the last two seasons, but that seems too cheap to let him go.  The front office needs to get moving making some splashes with a quickness, IMO.

as discussed with Dom's sale, Allocation money is far more valuable to Sporting than a sale outside of MLS and getting a 2 million dollar fee. Benny was 32 and coming to the end of a contract. This was a great move as long as they are confident in Yohan Croizet. Sporting has stock piled Allocation money to give them far more flexibility in roster building than any other franchise in MLS given the business model MLS opperates in.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: January 04, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
Just money?

as discussed with Dom's sale, Allocation money is far more valuable to Sporting than a sale outside of MLS and getting a 2 million dollar fee. Benny was 32 and coming to the end of a contract. This was a great move as long as they are confident in Yohan Croizet. Sporting has stock piled Allocation money to give them far more flexibility in roster building than any other franchise in MLS given the business model MLS opperates in.

The infusion of allocation money the entire league got in the off season dilutes the Dom deal a bit. Also, of course Portland doing a similar deal also puts a small dent in the SKC deal.

Of course allocation money doesn't create chances or score goals, they have to spend it correctly.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: January 04, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »
Just money?

The infusion of allocation money the entire league got in the off season dilutes the Dom deal a bit. Also, of course Portland doing a similar deal also puts a small dent in the SKC deal.

Of course allocation money doesn't create chances or score goals, they have to spend it correctly.
Exactly this.  I know that Benny is on the backside of things, and my head recognizes that his last couple years have been pretty steep in decline (injuries to production on field).  But we've got this money, there was a bit there was hope KN7 would come back, eh whatevs.  But I would like to hear some rumors, links, attempts to get some attacking prowess.  I don't see that coming from older internationals or ones who haven't produced a lot in their prior stops. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10140 on: January 05, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
MLS is such a pain in the ass to be a fan of.  I just want to root for teams/players.  I don't want to do the math on allocation money, the international player order or whatever else.  On that note, its a pain in the ass the SKC has lost 3 players I liked in the past year and 3 of our better offensive players on a team that struggles for offense.  Maybe we'll bring in some stud but even then, I won't have a rough ridin' clue who the guy is and have to wait to see him produce in a few games before I give a crap.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »
MLS is such a pain in the ass to be a fan of.  I just want to root for teams/players.  I don't want to do the math on allocation money, the international player order or whatever else.  On that note, its a pain in the ass the SKC has lost 3 players I liked in the past year and 3 of our better offensive players on a team that struggles for offense.  Maybe we'll bring in some stud but even then, I won't have a rough ridin' clue who the guy is and have to wait to see him produce in a few games before I give a crap.

i am not going to argue against this, but this is the best system MLS can use to compete in the international market for players, and still have a salary cap system. I don't want MLS to get rid of the salary cap as i fear it'd turn into a league similar to all of the others in the world where there will be a massive gap between contenders, middle of the pack, and bottom feeders.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: January 05, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »

i am not going to argue against this, but this is the best system MLS can use to compete in the international market for players, and still have a salary cap system. I don't want MLS to get rid of the salary cap as i fear it'd turn into a league similar to all of the others in the world where there will be a massive gap between contenders, middle of the pack, and bottom feeders.

Yea, I totally get why they do it and have no solutions but I think it alienates more casual fans from becoming die-hards.  Between stadium location, price, game atmosphere, and level of play, I would probably be a season ticket holder but have a hard time investing in such a convoluted system.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: January 13, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
I didn't keep up with the rumors, but I'm surprised he would go to a Mexican team with all the issues between the US and Mex national teams.  I have to think there were plenty of MLS spots, not sure why this move.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: January 13, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
I didn't keep up with the rumors, but I'm surprised he would go to a Mexican team with all the issues between the US and Mex national teams.  I have to think there were plenty of MLS spots, not sure why this move.

Because he always wanted to play in Liga MX

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: January 16, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
good for LD. If this is something he's always wanted to do and he feels he can still do it and found a club that wants him, then good for him. also a major LOL for going with the number 20.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: January 16, 2018, 02:34:26 PM »
and found a club that wants him

That's the biggest WTF for me. I think the number of MLS teams that would sign him is less than 5, I can't think of one actually.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: January 17, 2018, 09:04:17 PM »
and found a club that wants him

That's the biggest WTF for me. I think the number of MLS teams that would sign him is less than 5, I can't think of one actually.
Idk what they’re paying him but I bet whatever it is turns out to be a great business decision. His jersey is flying off the shelves, and no club in the history of LX has ever received the amount of English language coverage in America.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: January 19, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »

Yea, I totally get why they do it and have no solutions but I think it alienates more casual fans from becoming die-hards.  Between stadium location, price, game atmosphere, and level of play, I would probably be a season ticket holder but have a hard time investing in such a convoluted system.

yes and lately i've had the impression skc is going more for saving $ than for signing winning players...sometimes these dudes are under the radar for a reason...