Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: F1
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »
How did you guys get started into following this?  It seems so impenetrable.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2022, 12:55:54 PM »
I'm not into it but watching the Netflix show seems like a great gateway. It's good even if you aren't into the sport

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2022, 03:35:25 PM »
I learned about it at a pretty young age, between Ayrton Senna Super Monico GP, and watching movies like Grand Prix with my dad.  So street circuits and road courses are where my racing interest developed.  Then all of the nuances they have for races that dictate strategies.  Formula 1 has really become accessible for most people in the last few years with the ESPN coverage.

The series on Netflix would be a good entry point for someone that wanted to get into some of the extra stuff that goes on.  Grand Prix was good, but its from the 60’s i think, so it may not resonate well with some wanting to jump in.  The movie Rush was really good at telling the story of James Hunt and Niki Lauda, and was pretty entertaining.

If i were to tell someone where to start, i’d say watch one of the time trials on Saturday morning for qualifying.  It starts with 20 drivers, in Q1 they take the top 15 times and they go to Q2, then they send the top 10 times to Q3 and Q3 winner gets pole.  That usually only last an hour.  And the races are short as well.  It’s not out of the norm to get races completed in 90 minutes.  As opposed to the 3 hour marathons of nascar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2022, 09:55:09 AM »
Ferrari is a gd dumpster fire

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2022, 11:13:04 AM »

Offline Lamesauce

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »
Really an incredibly bad year for Ferrari strategy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mercedes finishes above them for 2nd in the constructors Championship. All they have to do is stay out of the way and let Ferrari self destruct. I was hoping Mercedes would finish 4th or lower behind McLaren and Ferrari this year after dominating for so long.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
F1
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2022, 11:44:38 AM »
Really an incredibly bad year for Ferrari strategy. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mercedes finishes above them for 2nd in the constructors Championship. All they have to do is stay out of the way and let Ferrari self destruct. I was hoping Mercedes would finish 4th or lower behind McLaren and Ferrari this year after dominating for so long.
Yeah, Merc has been the definition of consistency outside of Russell’s ill timed and confusing dnf.  But i don’t see anyway that they finish lower than third (and most likely second).  Even when Ferrari has a good race strategy , the drivers find a way to eff up.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2022, 12:05:11 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/comments/wcqogx/max_george_and_lewis_laughing_to_ferrari_they/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2022, 11:06:10 AM »
I think Max and Redbull are going to runaway with this which is a bummer.  But the second place fight for the constructors should be highly entertaining.

Offline Lamesauce

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2022, 10:03:01 AM »
Bummer the rain shortened the Japan Grand Prix but some good racing when they finally got going. Was hoping for a better year for Haas. Anyone going to Austin?

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
F1
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2023, 12:26:50 PM »
Good start to the new season.  Looks like redbull has a large gap from the rest of the teams.  But 3rd through 14 or so was fun to watch.

Offline Lamesauce

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »
Agreed. There’s even an American driver to pull for this season. I’ll take another “down” year for Mercedes as well. They were too dominant for too long. Looking like a fun season.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2023, 08:35:16 AM »
I made this meme as a joke a few weeks ago but for those of you that follow the NFL could create some talking points. I have been watching F1 since 2011 so well versed. A lot of people have been hopping on the train since Drive to Survive.

It's fun and would love to bbs about it.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2023, 08:36:13 AM »

Here is the meme!

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2023, 08:37:12 AM »
I learned about it at a pretty young age, between Ayrton Senna Super Monico GP, and watching movies like Grand Prix with my dad.  So street circuits and road courses are where my racing interest developed.  Then all of the nuances they have for races that dictate strategies.  Formula 1 has really become accessible for most people in the last few years with the ESPN coverage.

The series on Netflix would be a good entry point for someone that wanted to get into some of the extra stuff that goes on.  Grand Prix was good, but its from the 60’s i think, so it may not resonate well with some wanting to jump in.  The movie Rush was really good at telling the story of James Hunt and Niki Lauda, and was pretty entertaining.

If i were to tell someone where to start, i’d say watch one of the time trials on Saturday morning for qualifying.  It starts with 20 drivers, in Q1 they take the top 15 times and they go to Q2, then they send the top 10 times to Q3 and Q3 winner gets pole.  That usually only last an hour.  And the races are short as well.  It’s not out of the norm to get races completed in 90 minutes.  As opposed to the 3 hour marathons of nascar.

Driven is a good F1 movie as well.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2023, 08:38:01 AM »
I’m hoping Haas can compete with next year’s rules. Be nice to be able to root for the American team.
I’m a rider of KTM’s so admittedly i lean towards redbull.  I was bummed when Riccardo (and even Vettel years ago) left as he was the likeable driver on the team, but i can’t complain about this years results.  Next year is concerning since they are essentially taking over the power unit from Honda.

I’d love to have a US team do well, I’m not sure how long Haas will remain in F1 if they don’t at least get back to being competitive with the midfield teams.  Would also love to see an American driver do well someday.

Looking forward to seeing how Russell does in the Mercedes next year.  Hopefully they don’t crap all over him like they did to Bottas.
I ride Honda's so I am a Red Bull fan...

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2023, 10:57:07 AM »

:nono: The now defunct CART series is not F1.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2023, 02:13:03 PM »

:nono: The now defunct CART series is not F1.
True, CART was the sanctioning body for F1's buck toothed American cousin Indycar/CCWS from 1970 like 2008. My B gooch

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2023, 03:26:34 PM »
That was a good movie though. Estella Warren and very MILF'y Gina Gershon :fatty:

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »
Im not sure attending F1 races in Miami or Vegas is going to be worth it.

https://twitter.com/JonathanSchaff/status/1655342279660380160?s=20