Author Topic: oscar still sucks  (Read 23465 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: oscar still sucks
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Sucks to lose when you are so close. I'm glad some of you guys can enjoy it though. Go Cats. Or not.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »
Sucks to lose when you are so close. I'm glad some of you guys can enjoy it though. Go Cats. Or not.
No one enjoyed that performance.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »
oscar has recruited wings better for sure though.

we joke about it, but it's probably not a joke - he probably doesn't like "true" point guards.

obviously, martin's offense demanded a point.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 08:17:52 PM »
No one enjoyed that performance.

false.  the first half was fantastic.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2018, 08:21:45 PM »
I mean honestly hot rod and dom and jamsam are equal to or better than Westicles and x or whatever wing we compare them to.   JO/CK is better than any 5 oscar has recruited.  The 4 spot probably goes to oscar. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
You’ve seen it though, most of the fan base and this bbs are cool with mediocrity as long as there is 1 elite 8 run per decade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, there is. So dumb.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2018, 08:23:35 PM »
Weber reminds me of Tubby Smith in decline.

:ROFL:

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:03 PM »
Good grief Rusty.  Not your best day on the message boards.   

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:08 PM »
Yea, Frank’s Magic was the same as Huggie’s. You get 100% effort out of your players at all times, which is not an easy thing to do when you’re talking about college kids.
KSU Frank did that.  USC Frank had a rough year.

I haven’t followed them for obvious reasons, but just getting 100% from your guys doesn’t mean you’re gonna win a game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
LOL did Stokes check himself in? Brown did something like that last year against Cincy

I believe so yes

No he didn't, you can see the hand of an assistant giving him a shove. Assistants send players in before the coach wants said player in relatively frequently. oscar wanted him in after the ball was inbounded on the made free throw, not before, that is a common mistake.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
Yea, Frank’s Magic was the same as Huggie’s. You get 100% effort out of your players at all times, which is not an easy thing to do when you’re talking about college kids.
KSU Frank did that.  USC Frank had a rough year.

I haven’t followed them for obvious reasons, but just getting 100% from your guys doesn’t mean you’re gonna win a game.

they played hard.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
Frank also earned a 2 seed and didn't luck into a joke of a run
Frank didn't realize he wasn't running an offense until Bobby Knight called him out on national tv.  Luckily, Brad Underwood had one and installed it mid season.  I thought Frank was great at some things and suffered elsewhere.  Coach W is a stronger tactician, weaker recruiter.

Wrong, all of it.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2018, 08:39:57 PM »
25-12 (10-8) with an Elite 8 appearance is better than all but one of Frank's seasons. what are we even doing if we can't say this was a good season

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2018, 08:40:35 PM »
Yep

Frank's teams had plenty of dogs too, so did Huggins. If you have a narrative you can rationalize oscar's dogs as lack of effort while completely dismissing the possibility of the other two.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2018, 08:43:49 PM »
Frank recruited better players than oscar has but it’s pretty close

It won't be close after the '19 class, probably this one if he gets Trice and Smith.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar still sucks
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »
[replying two comments up] Obviously that’s true. gE for sure seems to talk about Frank now the same way you’d talk about a dead guy at a funeral. But I think it’s still pretty clear that Frank’s strengths as a coach are quite a bit different than Weber’s.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2018, 08:46:16 PM »
25-12 (10-8) with an Elite 8 appearance is better than all but one of Frank's seasons.

the only way you can say that is if you value tournament success over all other variables.  which is fine if you do, but you may as well just say it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »
I mean honestly hot rod and dom and jamsam are equal to or better than Westicles and x or whatever wing we compare them to.   JO/CK is better than any 5 oscar has recruited.  The 4 spot probably goes to oscar.

The 5 has been an absolute horror show for oscar. He's only recruited one capable 5 and it was the first one he brought on.

I prefer Barry and Marcus to Angel, btw.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
I think most people only care about (1) tournament success, and (2) conference championships. Staying competitive consistently in both of those was by far my favorite thing about Frank. But when you look at pure results on those two metrics, Weber stacks up as good if not better.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
25-12 (10-8) with an Elite 8 appearance is better than all but one of Frank's seasons.

the only way you can say that is if you value tournament success over all other variables.  which is fine if you do, but you may as well just say it.

I have long been on record that tournament runs are poor ways to evaluate a coach's performance. How you performance in conference shows how well you're doing.

That isn't to say tourney runs aren't fun, but consistent high conference finishes ultimately lead to more fun tourney runs.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 08:54:25 PM »
winning conference games is as fun as winning tournament games, imo.  or at least it was when we played mostly legacy big 8 teams.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »

There's a higher value placed on tournament success than what needs to be, absolutely. The entire sport is structured around winning in March though, it's literally the point of all of this. If you want to play it your way, it definitely seems you're not placing the proper weight on the conference championship season.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
If you want to play it your way, it definitely seems you're not placing the proper weight on the conference championship season.

i was responding to the statement about this season, not weber's entire record at kstate.  i value conference record (don't care if you get a hypothetical championship or not).  the 12-4 season was a very accomplished season.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
sorry, 14-4.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »
There's a higher value placed on tournament success than what needs to be, absolutely. The entire sport is structured around winning in March though, it's literally the point of all of this. If you want to play it your way, it definitely seems you're not placing the proper weight on the conference championship season.

clearly, he gets no credit for that because he didn't recruit a single contributor to that team.