Author Topic: The old man is about done  (Read 2639 times)

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
The old man is about done
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »
I can't take much more. I'm expending way too much energy and time on a game that is too often determined by luck and officiating.

1. I've been holding off saying this for a while because I thought oscar might get it turned around. But, I believe the handwriting is on the wall. The force is not on oscar Weber's side. He's a good man. He's a good coach. But, too often in this world, good fortune shines on those who cheat and will sale their soul to win. How long has it been since we caught one break in these games that go right down to the wire? We lost three overtime games last year and two others on last second shots. Well, it's started again this year. If you like, chalk it up to bad execution; perhaps, you will tell me
that we don't have the character to pull out the close ones. I'll listen but, sooner or later fellow posters, the ball has to bounce right once in a while.
It began with Angel dribbling to the corner while the clock ticked off and it became full FORCE when Heslip, who had not made a shot all night, flinged a slop shot up at the buzzer after the ball bounced luckily to Baylor three times. Stokes takes the ball out. We're up by 3 with a chance to seal the deal. There are seven seconds on the shot clock. If we get the ball in bounds, the worst thing that can happen is we have a 3 point lead with 20 seconds left. Suddenly, as if an invisible force intervened, he rolls the ball off the back of DJamer who turned the very instant Stokes let go of the ball. There was no pressure defense that turned the tables....no, just a fluke, if you will. You and I both knew what was about to take place at that moment.
We would be up one point and there would be an immediate foul. You all knew Wes would brick the free throw. This was not bad coaching. This was the force pure and simple because it has happened too many times in a row. The force has deemed that oscar Weber will fail. I hope I'm proven wrong. I'm saying this because I hope someone, at season's end, will rub this all in my face. I'm saying it in the hope that I can turn the force. It may want to make a fool out of me more than it wants to nail oscar.

2. The second reason I'm about done is what the game has devolved into since they set out to clean it up. For every action, there is a reaction.
They decided to clean the game up so that you couldn't wrestle your way to a victory. It was ugly...scoring went down. No one cheered louder than old learnin. So what happened? The coaches reacted. Well, by golly, if we can't wrestle you into submission, we'll drive you into submission. So you want to neutralize our ability to bump the offensive player and gain an advantage when we're down? Well, I'll clear it out for my prima dona and tell him to drive to the bucket and initiate contact on his defender. That's right. One on one. Drive to the bucket and when your man maintains himself between you and the bucket, put a shoulder into him. You've got a big name and you play for a special program. What is more, you're down. There's not a ref in the country that's going to swallow his whistle in this situation. When your opponent keeps scoring, and won't buckle, keep driving...it'll work every time as long as we're behind. Coach Weber, please. If you're reading this, or someone reports this post to you, please change up the defense when we're leading a team in the last couple of minutes. Our opponent is going to drive on us every time unless they're a great three ball shooting team. Pack three in the paint and put a man on their two best guards. Make them put up a jump shot. Do anything, but let the refs send them to the free throw line every time. Huggy's been doing it to us the last two years. Texas did it to us last year.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: The old man is about done
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
i too would love to believe that some higher power hates oscar weber.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
Guys, this whole driving to the bucket and drawing a foul thing is new to the game, and is wrecking it!   

I Agee that I can't take much more if good players are continually allowed to drive to the bucket and when they're fouled the ref calls a foul!   

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
Guys, this whole driving to the bucket and drawing a foul thing is new to the game, and is wrecking it!   

I Agee that I can't take much more if good players are continually allowed to drive to the bucket and when they're fouled the ref calls a foul!

It just becomes more apparent when you don't have anyone who can drive to the rim, or make free throws

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »
It's great, because this self-same loser was convinced the rule changes were going to make college basketball a beautiful thing of passing and cutting. Frank and Huggy would go down in flames while coaching purist Oscar would shine.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »
Where did you guys find this (garbage) gem? Who is the guy doing all this whining?

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 07:36:12 PM »
we aren't the Wildbitchers.  We are the Wildcats.  I drove from eastern Kansas to Renoland listening to.WHB and everyone lamenting about Mizzou.  Now there is some crap pile.  We lost by one point to a decent team that has an all American likely NBA draft pick.  I wish we had a.different coach, but ain't getting one anytime soon.  So cope.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Where did you guys find this (garbage) gem? Who is the guy doing all this whining?

http://www.k-statefans.com/forums/

learnin, pdave, and the rest of the crazies have migrated here. No doubt will be some great material there when we start getting pounded when conference play starts.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
#LIFE lives on kstatefans. It's sad.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 08:41:22 PM »
I think oscar is a pretty garbage human being

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:50:50 PM »
i don't think they migrated peacefully.  one of them was banned or both of them were.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »
Well, we suffered a loss and now the Weber discussion has started in full force. On the DRIVE, last Sunday night, Fitzgerald and Keegan informed us that Weber's string of close losses has nothing to do with the basketball gods, no, it has everything to do with his coaching style. We've been told, by posters on other forums, that Weber can win with other coaches players because those players have learned a healthy fear and discipline from those coaches. Weber just doesn't command the respect and discipline needed to close out these games. Three things immediately pop into my mind when I hear these comments.

1. How did Weber manage to get 1 and 2 star players to play excellent basketball down at Southern Illinois? How did SIU get all the way to the Sweet 16, with inferior talent, if his players simply ignore their wimpy head coach?

2. The number one way, to detect a selfish, undisciplined, unmotivated player, is to see how he works on defense. Say what you will about K-State's players under Weber, but at the end of the discussion, you have to admit, with rare exceptions, his players hustle their butts off on defense. One thing remains consistent throughout the Weber tenure. His K-State teams rank amongst the best in defense throughout the country. This could not happen if players simply are unmotivated by their coach.

3. I refuse to lay the blame on Weber while our players continue to brick free throws down the stretch. Every basketball fan, with half a brain, knows the most important thing, in a very close game, is making free throws. When we hit our free throws down the stretch, you will find that we more, often than not, pull out the victory. In the three overtime West Virginia game, last year, we had multiple opportunities to close out the game in regulation only to miss the front end of a one and one. We missed, as I recall, 4 or 5 free throws down the last 2 minutes, any of which would have sealed the deal. We do not have superior star power enough to put away good teams. The games are going to be close.

Why do we, so often, miss free throws at crunch time? We miss free throws, at crunch time, for the very same reason we miss a bunch of 3's at the start of a game against a good opponent. Confidence. Swagger. No coach can put this into a player. If it's not there, that player will never excel. I'm talking about Denis Clemente and Jake Pullen type swagger. Frank Martin didn't do a darned thing about putting that there. I remember the game back when Denis was a senior against a very good KU team at Bramlage on a Saturday afternoon. As soon as the ball was tipped, Jake and Denis came down and drilled 3 pointers from everywhere. We found ourselves up by 17 in a flash. The only thing that turned the game was Self working the refs and going to a triangle and 2. Rodney had that swagger while his close friend, Wally Judge, did not. Angel Rodriquez had that swagger and he had it before Frank Martin ever coached him. No coach puts this trait into a player and he is fortunate when he lands a player who has it.

When you miss free throws, in crunch time, you either are not a good shooter or the pressure is too much. We have some good shooters finally. Now, do they have the swagger? Claws is a good shooter. I'll bet you at practice, Dean hits 90% of his free throws but he can't hit 50% in a game. If this finds its way back to Dean, listen to what I say. BELIEVE IN YOUR TALENT. WANT THE BALL. DON'T WAIT TO BE SET UP. Make it happen like Denis, Jake, Mike and Rodney! Frank Martin didn't know what an offense was. These guys simply went out and made it happen. Your missed free throws tell me everything I need to know. And the same goes for all our other underclassmen. You can shoot, but do you have the swagger needed to succeed?

I'm sorry about this rant, but it's like this with me. Until we get a veteran team that has played together for 3 and 4 years, we're not going to go out and blow good teams away. We don't have 4 and 5 star players knocking our doors down and I don't want to celebrate victories brought about by cheating. So, we're going to go out and find a cheater or we're going to have a coach who does it the right way and teaches the game well enough to give his players an opportunity to win. Any poster, who has read my posts over the years, knows that I criticize officiating. As I have stated numerous time, however, I won't blame an official for a loss when our players have opportunities to win the game with easy shots, but fail to convert. An official can't make the shot and neither can the coach.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 08:36:53 AM »
That is the biggest bunch of rationalization BS that I've read in a long time.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »
That is the biggest bunch of rationalization BS that I've read in a long time.

Frank and Huggs didn't have a damned thing to do with that rationalization, either.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »
:lol:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »
I like with one coach the players are able to win in spite of said coach. Then the next coach is losing in spite of the players. (I think?)

Also, if coaches aren't able to coach "swagger", there is no thought of how one coach seemingly recruited a roster that regularly had swagger-ful players, while the next one regularly has a roster with swagger-less players.

Quite the pickle I suppose.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »
Guys, just be cowcats fans, it feels great

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »
This is tremendous stuff, very wildcat saluteish. The leader of the crazies, P Dave believes Lowery is abusing Wade and thus he is not Larry Bird :lol:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:30:08 AM by ELL3 »