Author Topic: Farewell Fatty  (Read 77540 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Farewell Fatty
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »
My take away from that is that fatty was at least as skilled at what he did, as a Heisman Trophy winner is at football. 

Like the man says at the end of Ratatouille, not everyone can message board, but a great message boarder can come from anywhere.

Best player on the best team. Your analogy rings true.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Farewell Fatty
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
i got thinking about the internet today, and it occurred to me just how often we take for granted its power and influence and reach. i mean, think about it: a guy named shwan alkhatib, who goes by the moniker "Fatty," has been on the minds of hundreds of thousands of people - not just in manhattan, where he was enormously popular and well liked, but also in lawrence and austin and college station and columbia (and palo alto?), where he was almost unanimously hated.

well, i shouldn't say hated. i've read through a few threads on a few boards, and the comments are overwhelmingly nice. it's apparent that Fatty commanded a certain respect from everyone who interacted with him (even his most vocal critics.)

i attended a church event on saturday, the same day that Fatty was found dead, and tim tebow was the speaker. tebow spoke about his football career, of course, and he even demonstrated "tebowing." but he spent much of his time talking about how blessed he is to have his current platform, which allows him to do so many of the things that he's always wanted to do.

i did not know this, but tebow's favorite thing to do - the thing that gives him the most satisfaction - is speaking to death-row inmates. he said he speaks to them quite often and had planned to visit with a few of them during his stay in las vegas.

"i can't even explain the feeling i get," tebow said. "it's incredibly satisfying to bring peace and joy and comfort to people who are otherwise lost or hopeless or depressed or frustrated."

when he said that, i began to think about the internet, and Fatty in particular.

a guy named shwan alkhatib has had, what, 25,000 message board posts? fifty-thousand? one-hundred thousand? and these message board posts have been read by five or 10 million people? twenty-five million people?

a guy named shwan alkhatib has posted, what, 25 youtube videos? fifty? one-hundred? and these videos have been watched by millions? commented on by thousands?

a guy named shwan alkhatib has been one of, what, a half-million k-state graduates? a million graduates? and his influence was so strong, so profound, that people are talking realistically about the possibility of 'FFF' being placed on a football uniform or helmet?

it goes to show you that you don't have to be tim tebow to have a positive effect on peoples' lives and to bring joy to others. yes, it's easier when you have fame and money and a built-in platform, but it certainly isn't necessary.

the internet is in and of itself a platform - and fatty utilized it, took advantage of it, and left a pretty incredible legacy.

kind of neat, no?

:ksu:

Yes!

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
By what means did he die?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »
By what means did he die?

Don't think it has been made public.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
As another member of this community who never had the pleasure to meet him, I can only tell you that I've been/had EMAW in me my whole life. Only when I saw his now famous video "The Birth Of Kansas State Football, did I know that somebody else had it in them also.

And F3 had EMAW more. And he lived EMAW better than anybody. If I could possibly express in words how that video made me feel inside.... well I just can't. It's not something easily put into words. I'll just use F3's own words:

"For good people, who deserve good things.. if only for just a day". 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
Let me know (if you want) if you have a geographically atypical minor influx of views on the "fatty" memorial page. Trying to get something started among some folks that might be interested.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
Student obituary
By

Published: Friday, March 9, 2012
Updated: Friday, March 9, 2012 02:03
  Share on email2
Shwan Kassim Alkhatib died unexpectedly in New York City, on March 2, 2012, while attending to his brother Weesam, who is undergoing chemo therapy. He is survived by his parents Kassim and Sorkel Alkhatib of Woodland, Calif.; his brother Weesam of Palo Alto, Calif.; as well as his sisters Aveen of London, Canada and Cheen of Dallas, Texas.
Shwan was a 2004 graduate of Manhattan High School, where he was also a four-year letter winner on the tennis team. Following high school, Shwan went on to K-State and graduated with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering in 2009. Soon after, Shwan pursued a master's in electrical engineering, also at K-State. However, as family comes first, Shwan put graduate school on hold over the last six months to take care of his brother Weesam. Shwan had recently been inspired, like his brother, to become a doctor.
Shwan loved his family, K-State sports, tennis, airports and making people laugh. To many K-State supporters and Big XII fans, Shwan was known as "fatty" or "fatty4ksu" from his writing and Youtube videos online. He was also widely known for his wit and the videos he created, which have been watched by thousands of people and truly captured the essence of what it means to love K-State. Shwan was always a fan of the "underdog" and it was only natural that he fell in love with the K-State community as they did with him. To Shwan, K-State was a school full of his kind of people: hard-working, friendly, caring and most importantly, compassionate. In the days since Shwan's passing, the response from K-State fans has been overwhelming.
Shwan always seemed to find the best in others and would let them know it; this was Shwan's way to make their day and consequently his, too. That's what Shwan did, he brought out the best in people, if they knew it or not, and it was truly a gift. His enthusiasm and joy was infectious and will be missed not only in the K-State family, but also around the world. The family asks that in lieu of flowers, people contribute to a memorial project dedicated to his brother's treatment. Family really was first to Shwan, and that's what he would have wanted. Online donations are being collected at goEMAW.com/fatty.html. Cards or checks can be mailed to Dickinson County Bank, P.O. Box 217, Enterprise, Kan., 67441. Checks can be made payable to: Shwan "Fatty" Alkhatib Memorial Fund.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »
I feel like he should be honored at the first game next year. Also, have his family (if capable) recognized on the field.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
 :thumbs:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
ugh i've been away from the board and am just now seeing this.  incredibly sad.  lots of prayers to the family.  theres no doubt i got hooked into ksu messageboarding because of fatty's work.  his videos, humor, in your face style, positive manner, it all added up to the best in messageboarding and K-State fandom.  RIP buddy.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2012, 10:49:32 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »
 :thumbs: that's nice.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »

that makes me hate Whyatt so much less.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2012, 03:11:43 AM »
I just saw that fatty's brother has passed away. My heart breaks for their family.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2012, 05:59:27 AM »
I just saw that fatty's brother has passed away. My heart breaks for their family.
Jesus Christ.  That is terrible.  Thoughts and prayers for that family. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
 :frown:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »

As a parent, I love my kids more than I love myself; more than I love my wife; more than I love anything on this planet.

As a parent, there isn't anything I wouldn't do, anything I wouldn't give up, anything I would do without for my children.

As a parent, to outlive one of your children is beyond the worst possible thing, to outlive TWO of your children is impossible to comprehend.

I am sick for his family and my heart truly goes out to them. This is absolutely tragic.
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
Awful

Offline Geezer

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
I figured that enough time had past that I could pay my respects for Fatty. As a KU fan, we have been the butt of some of his best work but he did make me laugh. The dude had a mad sense of humor and I will miss his contributions.
To read of his brother's passing is pretty disturbing. Burying your children is maybe the worst thing imaginable to me and to have to do it twice in such a short time is more than I can comprehend.

Offline kcnut

• The CEO of the Brad Essex Report and cont. writer for red state I also hate oklahoma so very much.
  • Combo-Fan
  • hail to the king.
    • View Profile
    • The Brad Essex Report
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
I'm sad that fatty and now his brother has passed i pray for his family. Dear god let fatty parents and family be embraced by your love and let their suffering be eased. May the soul of fatty and his brother be welcomed and blessed for all time, Amen.
LHC Bill Snyder is as american as you can get.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 21, 2012, 03:34:25 AM »
sheesh. those two awesome people are gone and we're all still here. makes ya wonder.