Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3980900 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #9650 on: September 06, 2011, 12:27:20 AM »
:drink:
“@ChipBrownOB: Texas wants to hold the Big 12 together. Hard to believe, but true. In intense discussions with OU. May or may not work out.”

Wow.  Shocking.

My bet?  It works out, and OU gets some sort of concession.

Part of the concession needs to be new leadership in the league office.  We desperately need a galvanizing force that from this point going forward that is going to provide some vision, some aggressiveness, and some confidence amongst our conference institutions.  Right now we have none of the above.  

The perception has to change that this a dead conference.

If OU comes back to the table, we need to start this conference over from scratch.  Tear it down and rebuild it all levels.  Replace Beebe, clean house, and restructure it all.

The other part of the concessions are some legitimate contracts for membership.  None of this good faith moving forward bullshit so we can avoid the same Texas A&M scenario from playing out every single offseason without real repercussions.   You're in or your out.  And if you're in, it's a longterm commitment.

I agree with everything you just said.

Look, at some point, we need a Big 12 Network.  If you have the juice to have your own (LHN), fine, have your own.  Otherwise, you have the option to dump your rights into a pool that we can broadcast on the B12N, which will most likely be everyone else.

No matter what happens, Dan Beebe needs to go.  My fear is that he's such a rubber stamp that the true power brokers in this conference will probably be hesitant to make a change.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: September 06, 2011, 12:34:33 AM »
“@ChipBrownOB: Texas wants to hold the Big 12 together. Hard to believe, but true. In intense discussions with OU. May or may not work out.”

Wow.  Shocking.

Part of the concession needs to be new leadership in the league office.  We desperately need a galvanizing force that from this point going forward that is going to provide some vision, some aggressiveness, and some confidence amongst our conference institutions.  Right now we have none of the above.  

If OU comes back to the table, we need to start this conference over from scratch.  Tear it down and rebuild it all levels.  Replace Beebe, clean house, and restructure it all.

The other part of the concessions are some legitimate contracts for membership.  None of this good faith moving forward bullshit so we can avoid the same Texas A&M scenario from playing out every single offseason without real repercussions.   You're in or your out.  And if you're in, it's a longterm commitment.

Look, at some point, we need a Big 12 Network.  If you have the juice to have your own (LHN), fine, have your own.  Otherwise, you have the option to dump your rights into a pool that we can broadcast on the B12N, which will most likely be everyone else.

No matter what happens, Dan Beebe needs to go.  My fear is that he's such a rubber stamp that the true power brokers in this conference will probably be hesitant to make a change.

There is no scenario that the commish of this conference wouldn't be a rubber stamp.  I have no idea how they redid the charter, but needing 9 out of 12 UP votes to do anything cuts the balls off of any one guy who wants to make decisions.  Kevin Weiberg took a demotion because he got tired of banging his head on a wall.

I fail to see how Beebe could have prevented Nebraska and aTm from bitching and crying about the system they helped create and thrived off of.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: September 06, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

Guys, its pretty effing simple. If we want to get into a major conference all we have to do is go out and win the NCG this season. No conference would pass on the reigning National Champions...I'm putting all my eggs in that basket.  :crossfingers:
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: September 06, 2011, 12:38:19 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

Guys, its pretty effing simple. If we want to get into a major conference all we have to do is go out and win the NCG this season. No conference would pass on the reigning National Champions...I'm putting all my eggs in that basket.  :crossfingers:

I was actually day dreaming this on Friday, but by 7pm Saturday my hopes had crashed and burned.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: September 06, 2011, 12:40:46 AM »
I go back and forth on the Big East.  If we do go with KU and MU to make a twelve team conference, I'm getting more excited about it.  The basketball goes without saying.

The kicker is getting a TV model like what the Pac-12 is getting.  If they're really going to do something like that, I'm all for it.  The basketball would be unreal on that channel.

There would be some amazing PR as well being in an east coast media darling conference.

But...I want to make sure KU and MU are there.  Keeping those rivals around means something to me.

Any theory as to why the solidarity amongst the schools in Oklahoma exists, but not here?

Retaining those rivalries mean something to a lot of people. 

OU has a President and AD that actually care about the well being of their state.  They also know the purpose of their universities to their state.  KU has a Chancellor that wants KU to seem like its a Public Ivy when its really no different than any other "University of" university in any midwestern state.  She has a stick up her ass, trying to play up the, "we are elite, you are not worthy" bullshit self image that liberal "elite" universities have.  She is basically President Garcia Thompson.  She cares more about how people in California and New York perceive her university rather than it executing its purpose within it's state.  Outside of the "EPAW" areas of Anderson Hall, our administration sees the KU bullshit for what it is.

This is really rough ridin' stupid, shame on you.  That paragraph of doo doo is based on phog.net talking points.  BGL has said absolutely nothing to indicate this is how she feels.  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not think you are essentially calling her a uppity n-word, because that's what I read.

I think your response to his post is rather uncalled for.  There was no need to insinuate racist motivations where there clearly was none.  If you think he was misled about her based on phog talking points, fine.  I mean, most of us here don't like KU and to think that their chancellor should be exempt from criticism on a K-State message board is silly.  To me a color-blind society means that we are all equally subject to praise and/or criticism.  The only thing I don't get is the Garcia Thompson reference.  I googled it and all I came up with was a former Ecuadorian boxer.   

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #9655 on: September 06, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

There is no scenario that the commish of this conference wouldn't be a rubber stamp.  I have no idea how they redid the charter, but needing 9 out of 12 UP votes to do anything cuts the balls off of any one guy who wants to make decisions.  Kevin Weiberg took a demotion because he got tired of banging his head on a wall.

I fail to see how Beebe could have prevented Nebraska and aTm from bitching and crying about the system they helped create and thrived off of.

I believe the SEC charter requires 9 of 12 votes, or that's what I've been reading regarding realignment, anyway, and Slive does a pretty good job.

What you need isn't a rubber stamp.  You need a hitman.    You need a guy that's capable of having a vision, selling it to his members, and going out there and executing it in a cutthroat environment.

No matter what, Beebe may be the sacrificial lamb in all of this.  If the Big 12 is to survive, I think Wabash is right; we need to blow it up and start over, or at least give that appearance.  Part of that is bringing in a new commish because at the very least it shows that we're committed to fixing what ails the conference, even if the move is symbolic in nature.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: September 06, 2011, 01:03:27 AM »
Man.  Mods, is it time for this badboy to get moved to the pit?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: September 06, 2011, 01:18:09 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

I believe the SEC charter requires 9 of 12 votes, or that's what I've been reading regarding realignment, anyway, and Slive does a pretty good job.

What you need isn't a rubber stamp.  You need a hitman.    You need a guy that's capable of having a vision, selling it to his members, and going out there and executing it in a cutthroat environment.

No matter what, Beebe may be the sacrificial lamb in all of this.  If the Big 12 is to survive, I think Wabash is right; we need to blow it up and start over, or at least give that appearance.  Part of that is bringing in a new commish because at the very least it shows that we're committed to fixing what ails the conference, even if the move is symbolic in nature.

Well if Beebe gets run, we're still left with the same administrators/structure in place that allowed unequal revenue sharing, didn't want a conference network when we could have been first, and then told UT they could have a network and cried in the car when they did it.  Asking someone to get a grip on guys like Bowen Loftin, David Boren, Ken Starr, Harvey Pearlman, etc is kind of nuts.  The reason that the commissioners of the SEC and Big 10 don't behave this way is that they are well set in their roles, those conferences have been around for nearly a decade, there is no reason for the UPs of those conferences to whip their dicks on the desk to see who has the bigger one.  If someone in the SEC did what David Boren did he'd get murdered by the rest of the group.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: September 06, 2011, 01:29:37 AM »

I think your response to his post is rather uncalled for.     
So, and.  I don't read through your eyes I read through mine.  I give nary a damn about what you deem uncalled for.

There was no need to insinuate racist motivations where there clearly was none.
Do you know what the term "benefit of the doubt means" or did you miss me type that in your rush to save the day?

and to think that their chancellor should be exempt from criticism on a K-State message board is silly.
I criticized her like 2 posts after the one that got you so mad, guess you missed that too.

To me a color-blind society means that we are all equally subject to praise and/or criticism.
This was the funniest part of the post for me.  I think it's cute that people believe there is such a thing.  Also are you insinuating that I think black people should be above critique?  Hilarious and very cute.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: September 06, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »
I didn't feel like she needed to make that quote. It was an obvious slap at KSU and sign to feelers out there that we aren't very united.

Which is the #1 reasons more than anything else the big 12 is falling apart. Everyone hates each other, and everyone isn't secure with being associated with each other.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9660 on: September 06, 2011, 02:52:24 AM »
I didn't feel like she needed to make that quote. It was an obvious slap at KSU and sign to feelers out there that we aren't very united.

Which is the #1 reasons more than anything else the big 12 is falling apart. Everyone hates each other, and everyone isn't secure with being associated with each other.

Yep, I don't even know if I really want the Big 12 to stay together.  If we could have an actual united front, I would be all for it.  Conferences are strongest with an "all for one, one for all" mentality.  The Big 12 never really had that.  Even in the beginning schools like Neb, ATM, etc. wanted unequal revenue sharing, etc.  They just pouted and turned sour when UT got an even bigger chunk than them.  You don't see that type of crap in any of the power conference.  The ACC, B10, SEC and Pac 12 all have haves and have-nots, but can see that a strong conference is better for everyone involved. 

Texas is is the biggest offender, but they aren't really to blame.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: September 06, 2011, 06:16:02 AM »
I think the main reason OU and OSU are perceived as tied is because OU is strong enough to say "if you want us, you need to take OSU". KU/KSU aren't strong enough to do that to the Pac 10. They probably are for the Big East, though.

But it probably has more to do with liberal eliteness.

catzacker

« Reply #9662 on: September 06, 2011, 06:21:21 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

....or UT is trying to get it out there as much as possible that they wanted to keep it alive (knowing it won't) so they won't get blamed and so when they have to answer to the various legislators the perception will already be in place that they tried.  But it is in UT's best interest to keep the only league that will bend over for them alive.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: September 06, 2011, 06:59:11 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

....or UT is trying to get it out there as much as possible that they wanted to keep it alive (knowing it won't) so they won't get blamed and so when they have to answer to the various legislators the perception will already be in place that they tried.  But it is in UT's best interest to keep the only league that will bend over for them alive.

I can see that too.  Break it apart incrementally instead of one mass exodus, to absolve themseleves of the responsibility for destroying the landscape of college athletics.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: September 06, 2011, 07:16:19 AM »

What quote are you referring to?  The only thing I can find is when she answered a question and said KU & KSU aren't tied together.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: September 06, 2011, 07:37:31 AM »
the animosity is already there. as such, my dream scenario would be to go the pac 12, leave ku for the reject big east, and be pactvpartnered with cu.   :love:

that would probably be enough for us to consider ourselves the flagship school despite what anyone else says about it.  we could put "flagship school" on brochures and stuff.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: September 06, 2011, 07:42:21 AM »
http://www.baylor.edu/nation/index.php?id=84714
I e-mailed all three university presidents and told them to "kiss my ass"... does that help Baylor?  :ck:
I sent all 3 of them a super destructive worm virus.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: September 06, 2011, 08:21:29 AM »

What quote are you referring to?  The only thing I can find is when she answered a question and said KU & KSU aren't tied together.
I don't get it...you say she has the right to be ignorant of conference realignment dynamics, but has the heft to make a decision that the legislators and KBOR have not made?  I agree with the original post. The ku administration, fanbase, and alumni, for the most part, are trying to throw K-State under the bus to advance their own interets. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: September 06, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »
I go back and forth on the Big East.  If we do go with KU and MU to make a twelve team conference, I'm getting more excited about it.  The basketball goes without saying.

The kicker is getting a TV model like what the Pac-12 is getting.  If they're really going to do something like that, I'm all for it.  The basketball would be unreal on that channel.

There would be some amazing PR as well being in an east coast media darling conference.

But...I want to make sure KU and MU are there.  Keeping those rivals around means something to me.

Any theory as to why the solidarity amongst the schools in Oklahoma exists, but not here?

Retaining those rivalries mean something to a lot of people. 

OU has a President and AD that actually care about the well being of their state.  They also know the purpose of their universities to their state.  KU has a Chancellor that wants KU to seem like its a Public Ivy when its really no different than any other "University of" university in any midwestern state.  She has a stick up her ass, trying to play up the, "we are elite, you are not worthy" bullshit self image that liberal "elite" universities have.  She is basically President Garcia Thompson.  She cares more about how people in California and New York perceive her university rather than it executing its purpose within it's state.  Outside of the "EPAW" areas of Anderson Hall, our administration sees the KU bullshit for what it is.

This is really rough ridin' stupid, shame on you.  That paragraph of doo doo is based on phog.net talking points.  BGL has said absolutely nothing to indicate this is how she feels.  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not think you are essentially calling her a uppity n-word, because that's what I read.

I think your response to his post is rather uncalled for.  There was no need to insinuate racist motivations where there clearly was none.  If you think he was misled about her based on phog talking points, fine.  I mean, most of us here don't like KU and to think that their chancellor should be exempt from criticism on a K-State message board is silly.  To me a color-blind society means that we are all equally subject to praise and/or criticism.  The only thing I don't get is the Garcia Thompson reference.  I googled it and all I came up with was a former Ecuadorian boxer.   

Thanks, I don't give a crap about her race.  It comes from some people I know within the KU College of Engineering, they all refer to her as President Garcia Thompson.  Its from the move PCU...go watch it...like right now.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: September 06, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »

Wow.  Shocking.

I think you hit it right on.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: September 06, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »
why would anybody care whether they get blamed for the demise of the big 12.  especially UT.  they are already 'blamed' for nebraska, colorado and aTm leaving.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: September 06, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
why would anybody care whether they get blamed for the demise of the big 12.  especially UT.  they are already 'blamed' for nebraska, colorado and aTm leaving.

All of this is very silly.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »
I think a Big East Network could be very valuable, especially with KU, K-State, and MU. It could air 2-3 basketball games per week, and most of those games would be some kind of marquee matchup.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: September 06, 2011, 08:55:29 AM »
I think a Big East Network could be very valuable, especially with KU, K-State, and MU. It could air 2-3 basketball games per week, and most of those games would be some kind of marquee matchup.

And "Win the West" has a better ring for a season slogan than "Win the North".

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: September 06, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »
A BE network would be so amazing in this scenario