Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4054053 times)

Trim and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26500 on: July 29, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »
Thank you for your moderation.

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26501 on: July 29, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »
Arkansas and The Irish to the Big 12, write it down.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26502 on: July 29, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
Sorry pan, but any idea that includes ucf and usf is a shitty one.
I agree fully.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26503 on: July 29, 2015, 05:02:34 PM »
Hey guys, I liked it when cRusty came and told us that Arkansas wasn't coming to the Big 12.

Very insightful.

But  :lol: at the idea that Arkansas has a better shot of making the playoffs as a member of the SEC.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #26504 on: July 29, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
We approached Arkansas a few years ago. They said no.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6940972/school-was-approached-big-12

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26505 on: July 29, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »
I'm asking about your memory. I lived there, and despite wall to wall coverage of the Hogs don't recall an instance when they sniffed a national title game. Because they're seen as at least one tier below Bama, Auburn, and LSU, I don't think they'll ever have a better path to real hardware in the SEC as they would in the Big 12.
Wall to wall coverage that didn't include the Sugar Bowl?

Only 2 different teams in the Big 12 have involved in the title game. Only two have won it.

3 teams in the SEC West alone have been involved in the title game in the last 5 years.  3 have won it in the last 10 years. Teams have gone from 0 conference wins to the national title game in one year.  No Big 12 team could EVER do that. Like it or not, the SEC is by far the best place to be if you want a chance to play in a meaningful game at the end of the season.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26506 on: July 29, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »
Bottom line, one BCS bowl for UA in 11 years, 2 for ksu in 9 seasons. All while playing for a stronger conference.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26507 on: July 29, 2015, 05:44:02 PM »
Bottom line, one BCS bowl for UA in 11 years, 2 for ksu in 9 seasons. All while playing for a stronger conference.
Well you certainly proved that KSU has indeed played in 1 more BCS game than Arkansas (at least you know its only 1 more now).  I'll concede that.

Still have a better chance of making the playoffs in the SEC though.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26508 on: July 29, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »
ok derail over

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26509 on: July 29, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
i think their chance is equal in both conferences
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26510 on: July 29, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
Yep, while playing in a less influential league and being within a game of the national title game. Arkansas hasn't been that close since before Houston Nutt. Either the cats were simply better or played an easier path.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26511 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »
Hmmmm, Pig Aggie.

http://landgrantgauntlet.com/2015/07/28/should-arkansas-join-the-big-12-while-they-still-can/

Stopped reading after this

There’s also the rivalries. Oh the rivalries! Before Arkansas joined the Southeastern Conference, they were a part of the Southwestern Conference along with Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26512 on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:16 PM »
i think their chance is equal in both conferences

Yeah. They'd have to be a top 4 team either way.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26513 on: July 29, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
thanks chings.

Arky would not in a million years be interested in the Big 12. Good grief, this thread.
That's not really chings, our anyone else's, point at all.

I agree w/ chings.

also, someone posting this:

it makes a ton of sense.

and then lots of people posting why it makes sense has nothing to do with what I posted, gotcha
The amount of sense it makes (or does not make) and the amount of interest Arkansas would have (or not have) are not on the same plane of discussion. I don't know what to tell you if you can't wrap your head around that.

ok KTNfury

I'm not going to be upset if you say that I said it.  I do think it makes a lot of sense for Arkansas to join.

I get why they would stay in the SEC.  I get the exposure argument. But we're assuming that level of exposure is going to stay static. I get the favorable bowl argument, but a lot of that structure is changing.

They could come here next year and make more money than they do today, assuming we give them a full share the first year and they negotiate a favorable third party deal.  They'd be more closely aligned with geographic and historic rivals. They'd immediately jump into a power position beyond what they currently have.  Their basketball team would get a bump playing in a better league. 

There are pros and cons.  It's not like they've been in the SEC for 80 years.  But will they move? No, they won't.  Should they take a good look at it? Absolutely.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26514 on: July 29, 2015, 11:16:02 PM »
Arky has always been the most sensible, least realistic option, for the big 12.

For the record, the only way we'd sniff a good pickup like Arkansas, would be to expell any thoughts of picking up Houston, BYU, Boise St., UCF, or USF.  You go slumming or you wait it out for the right catch.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26515 on: July 30, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
Razorback's Schedule:

UTEP
Toledo
Texas Tech
A&M
@ Tennessee
@ Bama
Auburn
UT Martin
@ Ole Miss
@ LSU
Miss St.
Mizzou

They will never win that division.  I'm very comfortable saying never.
id say they held their own last year and they sucked last year

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26516 on: July 30, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »
Hmmmm, Pig Aggie.

http://landgrantgauntlet.com/2015/07/28/should-arkansas-join-the-big-12-while-they-still-can/

Stopped reading after this

There’s also the rivalries. Oh the rivalries! Before Arkansas joined the Southeastern Conference, they were a part of the Southwestern Conference along with Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas.

I thought that sounded a bit off.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26517 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:43 AM »
Really tho, if people like Boren could just shut up and wait this out, the Big 12 will be in a good spot, and an even better spot for OU and UT. The playoffs absolutely will expand. Right now, every year some power conference is going to be pissed. The playoffs all but exclude smaller schools. And there's much more money to be made.

I see the solution (as do many, many others) as to simply make it 8 teams. All major conferences are happy since their respective champion is in. I believe they'll make it so the committee must take at least 1 lesser conference team to make college football inclusive. That leaves 2 at large teams. The Big 12 will be a nice place to be when you only have to be the best of 10 vs best of 12 or 14 (16 by then?).

If at that point the Big 12 wants to grab a couple schools, we might find them a little more receptive in that scenario.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26518 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
Really tho, if people like Boren could just shut up and wait this out, the Big 12 will be in a good spot, and an even better spot for OU and UT. The playoffs absolutely will expand. Right now, every year some power conference is going to be pissed. The playoffs all but exclude smaller schools. And there's much more money to be made.

I see the solution (as do many, many others) as to simply make it 8 teams. All major conferences are happy since their respective champion is in. I believe they'll make it so the committee must take at least 1 lesser conference team to make college football inclusive. That leaves 2 at large teams. The Big 12 will be a nice place to be when you only have to be the best of 10 vs best of 12 or 14 (16 by then?).

If at that point the Big 12 wants to grab a couple schools, we might find them a little more receptive in that scenario.
but what about split champions?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26519 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »

The conference decides
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 1863

• Combo-Fan
  • John Currie is a beautiful human bean.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26520 on: July 30, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »

The conference decides

Might also be able to get two in that way. Team A and Team B both have the same amount of wins but Team A is also a conference champion.

Schedule better OOC and back load the schedules around CCG time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26521 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
Better ooc games would be one of the better side effects of an 8 team playoff. Unless you're planning on getting second in your league AND being one of the best two or three non champions, you may as well schedule a really fun non con game

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26522 on: July 31, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »
Would take pig aggie hard.

Razorback's Schedule:

UTEP
Toledo
Texas Tech
A&M
@ Tennessee
@ Bama
Auburn
UT Martin
@ Ole Miss
@ LSU
Miss St.
Mizzou

They will never win that division.  I'm very comfortable saying never.

Arkansas would do themselves a huge favor by exiting to the Big 12, Arkansas and Texas have actually scheduled regular season games, so the Butthurt isn't that bad.   If there's a chance at Arkansas, than Arkansas should then request and East/West alignment to the conference and it is then you tell BYU that sports is not work, and give them one last chance to come to their senses.    Just a thought.

Honest question, but how many games/competitions actually happen on a Sunday? Seriously, I think of football (never), basketball (almost never). Maybe baseball and some track and field tournaments, but really, when have those been the guiding light of conference realignment.
They won't even travel on a Sunday in prep for a Monday game. This would come into play in BBall.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26523 on: July 31, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »

Boren won't STFU because he's old, and wants to leave a legacy of what will look like, at the time, an upgrade in conference membership for OU.  He's posturing now so he can pull OU out of the conference later.   It's really that simple.  OU fans are tired of traditional doormats like K-State and Baylor beating them with reasonable consistency, and have the deluded belief that things will improve with a change in scenery.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26524 on: July 31, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »

Boren won't STFU because he's old, and wants to leave a legacy of what will look like, at the time, an upgrade in conference membership for OU.  He's posturing now so he can pull OU out of the conference later.   It's really that simple.  OU fans are tired of traditional doormats like K-State and Baylor beating them with reasonable consistency, and have the deluded belief that things will improve with a change in scenery.

AKA Nebraska