Author Topic: How much longer before “history of playing football” triggers higher insurance rates?  (Read 1051 times)

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
I was thinking about this recently when my Dad was telling me how when he played HS football they had leather helmets and there wasn’t as much head-to-head collision.

Our population/history of long term hard-helmet football players isn’t a full generation size yet.   In another 20 years, there won’t be many people alive who lived during the leather helmet days.

So, we will then see the impact of football on health.  It’s looking like those that play through college have higher rates of all sorts of issues.  How long will insurance companies ignore that?  In my experience, insurance companies don’t ignore losses for very long. 

Will we live to see a day where our life and health insurance forms as “how long did you play American football?”  And, if that happens will football become too costly to sustain at amateur levels? 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
seems about as likely as asking if you microwave the majority of your food or if you only drink reverse osmosis water
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
seems about as likely as asking if you microwave the majority of your food or if you only drink reverse osmosis water

Is it?  Can they draw a very strong correlation with a small population with those things?  Cause you can (increasingly) with football.

Can’t very well enforce identification of either of those behaviors you mentioned.

Actually they seem nothing alike at all, do they?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
when the game dies, it won’t be because of its effects on players’ health.  there will always be someone willing to collect those paychecks.  there aren’t enough players to sway actuary tables so i don’t see insurance walking away either, not to mention the fact that players already pay plenty for their insurance and their insurance riders.

eventually the pendulum of public support will naturally swing away from the game and with it goes the advertising dollars, and then the huge paychecks, and then the true magnitude of negative health effects of the game will come out.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Is it?  Can they draw a very strong correlation with a small population with those things?  Cause you can (increasingly) with football.

Can’t very well enforce identification of either of those behaviors you mentioned.

Actually they seem nothing alike at all, do they?

I'm sorry sir you played pop warner from 94-97 you are not a candidate for health insurance.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Hopefully we'll have single payer by then and it won't matter

Offline Gooch