Author Topic: Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS  (Read 42863 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
where's yesterday's edition of "straight talk", pete? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

It was a turkey sandwich day.  However, I think you will be pretty darn pleased with today's edition....

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure that kck has a bonito michuacan.  Carnicerias should be on the list.

Clams suggested Bichelmeyer's, and it's near the Kansas Ave neighborhood.   I will consider it.  If someone wants to go and review it, very well. 

I am focusing on the Kansas Ave. strip.

Gotcha, Do not know the area.  Also, any of the sauces/salsa's that have orange are habenjero(?) based.  They usually food process it, if the oil in it was separated it may have just been sitting a little while.  The food processor usually emulsifies it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It was a turkey sandwich day.  However, I think you will be pretty darn pleased with today's edition....

can't wait.  this thread has re-energized the CF board in the middle of the february blues.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
well here's the deal though with the SA orange salsa type stuff...i'm pretty sure that they had a couple that were similar colored but one was just weird and oily and tasted just horrible. i'd be slightly surprised if it was just a habanero based salsa but i guess stranger things have happened.

pete- please review the san antonio carniceria and tortilleria next sometime soon. it's right across the street from epr. make them tell you what is in the weird oil salsa thing. take pictures of all the salsa things there too.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
was that orange stuff really bitter?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i think SA only has 3 salsas, a green, a red, and an orange (habanero).  the orange one is really hot. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
well here's the deal though with the SA orange salsa type stuff...i'm pretty sure that they had a couple that were similar colored but one was just weird and oily and tasted just horrible. i'd be slightly surprised if it was just a habanero based salsa but i guess stranger things have happened.

pete- please review the san antonio carniceria and tortilleria next sometime soon. it's right across the street from epr. make them tell you what is in the weird oil salsa thing. take pictures of all the salsa things there too.

I will document the rough ridin' crap out this for you, Rick Daris.  Not sure I can get to this one before the end of the week....we really need to talk about service level agreements on these efforts, that's on me, sorry.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i think SA only has 3 salsas, a green, a red, and an orange (habanero).  the orange one is really hot.

this is possible but i swear they also had a fourth mystery liquid. could've been emulsified cow brain for all i know. it looked off and way different from the other stuff. was immediately right from the cashier/where you order. idk you guys maybe i imagined it or maybe it was just a standard habanero salso but i have strong reservations against those possibilities. no doubt in my mind that pete will get to the bottom of all of this for us though and for that i thank him.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think we all need to chip in and get Pete something for his work an effort.  I vote for this http://reviewercard.com

Offline BleedingPurple7

• Fan
  • The nearest exit may be behind you
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure that kck has a bonito michuacan.  Carnicerias should be on the list.

Clams suggested Bichelmeyer's, and it's near the Kansas Ave neighborhood.   I will consider it.  If someone wants to go and review it, very well. 

I am not sure if you're doing this to purposely limit the scope of your investigation or out of ignorance to the rest of the great Mexican places in KCK. You can eat at a different mexican place every day for a month anywhere along Central ave up to Minnesota or so. Armourdale is certainly the little Mexico of KCK, but the Hispanic population is pretty heavy North of there as well. For you tourists who come to the 'dotte for the Mexican food, don't hamstring yourself by focusing on just one area. Thumbs up to Cire for mentioning Bonito, that place is solid.

That being said, Pollo Rey is great as was mentioned before. I'll do a brief one of Taqueria Mexico for you

Atmosphere is good, and looks like a pretty average mexican joint inside. Clean bathrooms are always a nice surprise.

Service has always been good when I've been there. Even when moderately busy I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 10 minutes for my food. There may only be a couple people on the wait staff that speak English, but they recognize that I'm white so I have never had to order in Spanish there.

Food is great, beef tacos and chicken enchiladas are my favorite. The enchiladas are pretty close to a tex-mex style, but hey you can't argue with good food.

Pro tip: It doesn't hurt to brush up on a bit of Spanish if you're going to adventure to some of these places. Odds are, you'll be able to get by with English in most, but the really tiny joints might only have a couple people working and you'll probably be the only non-Spanish speaker they accommodate all day. You can always get by with pointing to whatever you want on the menu, but I think they appreciate it when I'm not full on gringo when I come in and order. It goes without saying that you shouldn't have the "this is America, you should know English" attitude coming in. We may be in America, but you're on their turf.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Authentic Mexican food is the best.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
oily orange habanero salsa, lol.  what the eff will you retards think of next? 
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i've had tacos al pastor from el camino real twice.  they're ok.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
El Pollo Rey 
1101 Kansas Ave, Kansas City, KS

Facade:  Excellent.  It looks like a freaking barn.  There is a big rack of hard-wood by the front door that they use for the wood grill.  It was oak when we went, but I bet they take whatever hardwood they can get.

Décor/Ambience: Average.  The wall of pre-paid calling cards really spices up the place.  However, we could not hear the Spanish language televisions, and there was no Latin music being played.  It was clean a place.  One fun part was watching the guys salt/pepper the halved raw chickens at one end of the food prep area, then just throw them down the line and land them on the grill…excellent hand-eye-chicken coordination.

Service: Average.  It’s fast food, and there are three menu choices, not much to it.

Food: Very Good*.  The asterisk is because you only have three menu choices; Grilled Chicken (half), More Grilled Chicken (whole), and Buffalo Chicken Wings.  Each comes with tortillas, pork and beans (various parts), pickled red onions in a baggy, and a puree salsa.  On the table they have two different flavors of bottled super-hot habanero salsa.  Technically, there is one other menu option, you can buy a whole, raw, avocado (not sliced) as well.  We saw one guy buy the avocado when we were there, but didn’t get a good look at how he tackled it…they don’t give you a knife, so he must have made do with his plastic fork or spoon.  The preferred method of eating the chicken is to tear it apart with your hands and plastic fork and make your own tacos.  However, we did see quite a few people just dive into the chicken with their hands, as if at KFC or something.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The two Latino kids in that picture just destroyed their chicken....no tortillas, no non-sense.  Just dove in with their hands and went to work.

Steve Dave's six-year-old, and Limestone's six kids would have been all "I don't like bones, where are the nuggets."   You could tell these kids appreciated what they were being given....an inspiration to be sure.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i've noticed that a lot of the true bloods will rip the chicken off of the bone using the tortilla and just eat it that way.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
I didn't read any of this thread, but I wanted to let you know Margaritas is the answer if you're looking for Mexican food in KC. Their dip is amazing!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

Bichelmeyer's is the best thing in KCK, IMO.  They have like 10 different kinds of pork bellies for crying out loud!  About the only place to get anything when I'm making stuffed camel.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tortilleria San Antonio 
830 Kansas Ave, Kansas City, KS

Facade:  Good.  I like the bull heads.  I bet they would sell you a raw bull head if you really wanted one, so truth in advertising right there.

Décor/Ambience:  Good.  This place is a grocery/butcher shop/taqueria…so you basically walk into a small grocery store and an area with dudes making tortillas.  Then there is a counter to order food, a bunch of tables to sit and eat, and a large meat counter.  Loads of mounted heads of various wild animals are up on the wall.  One of the more interesting features is a separate counter where you can buy different pieces of fried pork, though I have no idea what “pieces” they really were. Pretty diverse crowd.  Some families doing their shopping and grabbing lunch, plenty of business people on their lunch hour, etc.

Service: Very Good.  It’s essentially fast food, but they were all very nice.  The nice part is that you can get in and out of there fast, and it’s good for to-go orders…good take away containers for sauces and condiments.

Food:  Very good.  I had an Asada Torta and Taco, both were really good.  They also have burritos.  A friend got a Barbacoa burrito and said it was fantastic.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile

That guy used to work for me in Topeka. He opened a restaurant in Lawrence, I believe it was named "Tapas".

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 06:42:27 AM »
He was just the dude at the next table, I don't know him.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
how was SA's orange salsa?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
how was SA's orange salsa?

It was good, very hot.  I preferred the avocado green one the right of it.  Same amount of heat, but a bit more flavor.  I didn't try the yellow habanero on the left.  I can't imagine how hot that must have been, given the strength of the other two to the right of it.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think I will fire up another installment of Straight Talk today!