Author Topic: Google Fiber  (Read 31057 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Google Fiber
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »
What's new about it? Pics?

Non-trustee here, just an amateur remote enthusiast in my free time
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
it has a "live" button to return to live tv after rewinding/ff
it has a better placed mute button

one cool thing is that it has a weird sensor thing, so when the remote moves or is picked up, the backlighting comes on automatically.  and then it turns itself off automatically after a few seconds.
i've never seen anything like that in a remote.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
That's pretty great for a standard remote.

Mine does the backlight on movement thing too, but it's an aftermarket product

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »
the remote is bluetooth, did i mention that?  no, no i did not.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »

that's my fav thing about remotes these days. don't have to remove it from under the covers.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
Now we are getting to the meat of this remote. That's a feature my aftermarket does NOT have  :eek:

The Big Train

« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
good to see this technology which the early adapters have enjoyed for years finally hit the mainstream

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

that's my fav thing about remotes these days. don't have to remove it from under the covers.

the google fiber guy used this exact same line when he was installing my equipment

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
Hurry up and test that out trusted clams... I need some of those features (current not elite gf remote has Bluetooth though)

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
the 100 series network box sucks, i have a airport extreme wired into mine

It's a 200 series fwiw. Are they any good?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
ya they are 802.11 ac
they offered to swap my 100 out with the new 200 box but i already bought a airport extreme which pushes 600 up/down via wifi

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
Google Fiber signups are open for my neighborhood.  I think I'm committing to not signing up. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
I had to go pick up my kid two days in a row because the GF contractor hit a gas line (TWICE!) in the sitter's front yard.  Still pretty pissed about that.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
Give me a reason to sign up for Google Fiber when:

1)  It will cost me $30 more a month for the equivalent CATV package I have with AT&T
2)  I don't need the additional internet speed  (everything I do I can accomplish with my current speed)
3)  It is a 1-year commitment.  Meaning I can't sign up with $10 down and change my mind before they are ready to install.
4)  I don't have a need to record 8 shows at a time.
5)  AT&T Fiber will also be in my neighborhood, and most likely provide competitive pricing (if not better)
6)  They will have to run new cable throughout my house when currently 2/3 of my boxes are wireless.

I will be open to signing up if I have a good reason to. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
WildcatNkilt, i think you're totally justified in sticking with what you've got

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »
buck the system, WildcatNkilt.  sounds like you're the smart one in this equation and have figured out google fiber's scheme.
it's amazing that so many fools have fallen for the google fiber pitch.  fools, all of them.

at&t has long been renowned for their customer service and it alone should dictate your loyalty to them.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
buck the system, WildcatNkilt.  sounds like you're the smart one in this equation and have figured out google fiber's scheme.
it's amazing that so many fools have fallen for the google fiber pitch.  fools, all of them.

at&t has long been renowned for their customer service and it alone should dictate your loyalty to them.

I was royally dicked over by AT&T and will never do business with them again...TBT was witness to my rage against them on multiple occasions.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »
Give me a reason to sign up for Google Fiber when:

1)  It will cost me $30 more a month for the equivalent CATV package I have with AT&T
2)  I don't need the additional internet speed  (everything I do I can accomplish with my current speed)
3)  It is a 1-year commitment.  Meaning I can't sign up with $10 down and change my mind before they are ready to install.
4)  I don't have a need to record 8 shows at a time.
5)  AT&T Fiber will also be in my neighborhood, and most likely provide competitive pricing (if not better)
6)  They will have to run new cable throughout my house when currently 2/3 of my boxes are wireless.

I will be open to signing up if I have a good reason to. 

Did you see the remote clams had?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
my biggest complaint against Google fiber is that it doesn't have Time Warner Sports Channel so I miss out on the early season Hawks hoops games
It also appears Google Fiber subs don't get Fox Sports Go access, is that accurate?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2015, 12:26:31 PM »
my biggest complaint against Google fiber is that it doesn't have Time Warner Sports Channel so I miss out on the early season Hawks hoops games
It also appears Google Fiber subs don't get Fox Sports Go access, is that accurate?
they don't.  i think it's because fox go sucks and google fiber doesn't want it to hurt the image of their program.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
People in my neighborhood are going crazy on social media about people signing up.  I'm fine with att now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
they don't.  i think it's because fox go sucks and google fiber doesn't want it to hurt the image of their program.
FSGo is a crappy app, how is the Google Fiber app?  can you use the app on a appletv as a wireless set top box?

The Big Train

« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2015, 03:46:02 PM »

I was royally dicked over by AT&T and will never do business with them again...TBT was witness to my rage against them on multiple occasions.

it really is something magical to behold

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2015, 05:28:33 PM »
FSGo is a crappy app, how is the Google Fiber app?  can you use the app on a appletv as a wireless set top box?
google fiber's app sucks ass too, it's basically worthless.  i don't know what i would use it for.
you can't watch tv on it, you can't set your dvr with it.  you can't even use it when away from your home network.  i guess it kind of functions as a remote control.  garbage.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2015, 05:47:05 PM »
google fiber's app sucks ass too, it's basically worthless.  i don't know what i would use it for.
you can't watch tv on it, you can't set your dvr with it.  you can't even use it when away from your home network.  i guess it kind of functions as a remote control.  garbage.

you can't watch tv on it - on home wifi you can so basically worthless but I've found a couples uses for it....it's not every channel but it's a lot of them.
you can't set your dvr with it - you can
you can't even use it when away from your home network - you can look at the program guide  :excited: (and schedule DVR)