Author Topic: We're going to be awful next year aren't we?  (Read 16723 times)

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
Re: We're going to be awful next year aren't we?
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2015, 07:27:25 PM »
A Ron Prince team would beat this upcoming team.

:'bye cruel world:
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 12:59:03 AM »
Okay, now I'm scared!!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 02:52:07 AM »
I'll ask you one question. Do you think Bazooka Joe is going to let Snyder retire before he reaches 200 wins?

201 for all the marbles.

Dr. P
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2015, 12:31:38 PM »
Not a single proven, legitimate playmaker on offense.

Worst wide receiving corps in 20+ years under Snyder.  Who is Bazooka Joe supposed to throw to?

Stroles 2.0 wasn't good enough to beat out two running backs this year that wouldn't start for 90% of the P5 teams in the country, but is supposed to be the savior next season.

The O-Line is still talent deficient and thin.

The defense is still coached by Tom Hayes.

Honestly, this team will be lucky to win 5-6 games.

I'm a Tom Hayes fan.  Just going to put that out there. 

Worst (real) case scenario next year is 7-5.  If we think our talent and / or coaching sucks next year, look at some of the teams we're playing.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2015, 05:12:34 PM »
I don't think their is a rational argument against Tom Hayes. He is really good at his job. For some reason people want us to run on defense like Oklahoma State who has a more talented players and a worse defense. There is an argument that certain position coaches are pulling their weight recruiting wise.   

Offline purpyslurpy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
Not a single proven, legitimate playmaker on offense.

Worst wide receiving corps in 20+ years under Snyder.  Who is Bazooka Joe supposed to throw to?

Stroles 2.0 wasn't good enough to beat out two running backs this year that wouldn't start for 90% of the P5 teams in the country, but is supposed to be the savior next season.

The O-Line is still talent deficient and thin.

The defense is still coached by Tom Hayes.

Honestly, this team will be lucky to win 5-6 games.

I'm a Tom Hayes fan.  Just going to put that out there. 

Worst (real) case scenario next year is 7-5.  If we think our talent and / or coaching sucks next year, look at some of the teams we're playing.
I feel like 7-5 is a very generous "worst case scenario". I see 5-7 being worst case, 7-5 realistic, 9-10 winning some games we shouldn't. Our defense should keep us from being terrible. The offense will likely keep us from being good(hope they surprise me).

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
Worrying about a LHC Bill Snyder offense isn't healthy.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
I don't think their is a rational argument against Tom Hayes. He is really good at his job. For some reason people want us to run on defense like Oklahoma State who has a more talented players and a worse defense. There is an argument that certain position coaches are pulling their weight recruiting wise.   

Recruiting is by far the most important thing Tom Hayes should be good at. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline purpyslurpy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »
Worrying about a LHC LHC Bill Snyder offense isn't healthy.
Well the offense was a problem this year. Completely one-dimensional with no run game. Cost us the Auburn game. Held BU and TCU below their season averages(still got brutalized), but the offense didn't come through. Removing the only thing this offense had--the passing game with Lockett, Waters, and Sexton--doesn't give me high hopes for them, but hopefully they surprise. We will need Hubener to channel Klein to give us a shot I think.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »
I think it is unreasonable to think the Run game won't be vastly improved next year. A improved run game will also take pressure off the passing game. Think about it we were severely handicapped on offense but were good enough to finish 3rd in the conference with almost the hardest schedule possible.

Offline purpyslurpy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2015, 06:41:52 PM »
Well the run game can't be any worse, but I don't know how good it might be.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
Worrying about a LHC LHC Bill Snyder offense isn't healthy.
Well the offense was a problem this year.
Comparatively, the offense was better than the defense. As I said all season (and Mixed Nutz correctly pointed out), the offense did a pretty good job this year.

Offense: 6 YPP (30th Nationally; 5th in the Big XII); 1 Giveaway per game (10th nationally; 2nd in the Big XII); 0.49 points per play (16th nationally; 4th in the Big XII).

Defense did OK relative to the conference, but was pretty mediocre nationally:

Defense: 5.4 YPP (55th Nationally; 5th in the Bix XII); 1.7 Takeaways per game (56th nationally; 4th in the Big XII); 0.34 points per play (34th nationally; 4th in the Big XII).

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline purpyslurpy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »
Worrying about a LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder offense isn't healthy.
Well the offense was a problem this year.
Comparatively, the offense was better than the defense. As I said all season (and Mixed Nutz correctly pointed out), the offense did a pretty good job this year.

Offense: 6 YPP (30th Nationally; 5th in the Big XII); 1 Giveaway per game (10th nationally; 2nd in the Big XII); 0.49 points per play (16th nationally; 4th in the Big XII).

Defense did OK relative to the conference, but was pretty mediocre nationally:

Defense: 5.4 YPP (55th Nationally; 5th in the Bix XII); 1.7 Takeaways per game (56th nationally; 4th in the Big XII); 0.34 points per play (34th nationally; 4th in the Big XII).
When broken down, this is correct, but it doesn't really tell the true story. The reality is that both offense and defense were nothing amazing, but both were good. The offense aired it out great, but often had an inability to eat clock and struggled in short yardage situations. In several games the offense put the defense in bad situations, which doesn't help defensive stats. The defense at times did not help the offense, but it doesn't really affect it statistically.

Even saying that the offense was the absolute strength of this year's team, that does not mean anything good for next year. All the positives from the offense are graduating. The offensive stats were good due to Sexton, Lockett, and Waters. The O-Line was horrible this year. The RBs showed nothing this year. No other WR showed even the ability to run a route except Cook.

People always make improvements, but usually there is SOMETHING that gives us a little positive expectation. Losing Tramaine Thompson was disappointing, but Sexton had shown at least something that let us think he could step up. Judah Jones has really shown nothing since the spring game. Andre Davis has shown nothing at the D1 level to this point. Klein has been injured, but other than his name he truly hadn't shown much previously. Burton has shown nothing positive. West has shown very little, but he has been out there a little and has had his named mentioned at least. We know what we get in Charles Jones. I am not going to put my faith in to a small RS freshman in Warmack. I think he will contribute and be very good in the future, but I can't see him making a huge difference next year.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »
This will be the worst WR corps in Snyder's 23 years.  Just abysmal recruiting.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »
I won't write off Davis or Heath.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »
We also (apparently) have a receiver named Steven West, #13. A guy I didn't realize existed until Jake threw an incomplete pass his direction during the bowl game and he was on TV.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2015, 08:42:35 PM »
Just as a point of reference as we look at the top talent on Snyder's worst teams.  People really shouldn't dismiss how terrible our offensive talent is going to be next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 / 6-6
WR
Aaron Lockett
Brandon Clark
RB
Darren Sproles (NFL)
Josh Scobey

2004 / 4-7
WR
Yamon Figers (NFL)
Jermaine Moreira
RB
Darren Sproles (NFL)
Thomas Clayton

2005 / 5-6
WR
Jordy Nelson (NFL)
Yamon Figers (NFL)
RB
Thomas Clayton
Carlos Alsup

2009 / 6-6
WR
Brandon Banks (NFL)
Tramaine Thompson
RB
Daniel Thomas (NFL)
Valentine
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2015, 09:05:19 PM »
We also (apparently) have a receiver named Steven West, #13. A guy I didn't realize existed until Jake threw an incomplete pass his direction during the bowl game and he was on TV.
Looks like he had a catch against SFA.He's listed at 6 foot 198 but he didn't look that big on TV

Offline purpyslurpy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »
Just as a point of reference as we look at the top talent on Snyder's worst teams.  People really shouldn't dismiss how terrible our offensive talent is going to be next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 / 6-6
WR
Aaron Lockett
Brandon Clark
RB
Darren Sproles (NFL)
Josh Scobey

2004 / 4-7
WR
Yamon Figers (NFL)
Jermaine Moreira
RB
Darren Sproles (NFL)
Thomas Clayton

2005 / 5-6
WR
Jordy Nelson (NFL)
Yamon Figers (NFL)
RB
Thomas Clayton
Carlos Alsup

2009 / 6-6
WR
Brandon Banks (NFL)
Tramaine Thompson
RB
Daniel Thomas (NFL)
Valentine
This is what worries me. Many are thinking "Snyder will figure something out. He always does". That is usually true, but what about our RB situation this year? We lost Hubert and had not seen anyone show that they MIGHT be the guy to step up. Many thought it would surely work itself out. It didn't ever work itself out. Now we lose our WRs without anyone showing they could potentially step up. I hope I am wrong and that some guys make huge strides forward, but I am not holding my breath.

Snyder often gets someone to step up that you didn't expect, but not always. The problem here is that none of our WRs has shown anything on the field(except Cook) and at this point we have no JUCO players coming in that could surprise us and be ready to play. A WR unit where Kody Cook is your #1 stud is not a unit that strikes fear in to the hearts of DBs.

Offline davegladow

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eyeblack Odyssey
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »
CJones a year better, Warmack an upgrade over DRob in athleticism equalling more big plays, and Bazooka has shown he can tote it better than Jake.  The ground game will be significantly better, to the point that better teams won't be able to shut it down like they could this year's crew.*

* if the o-line is decent

Passing game is going to be an adventure.  Think Sams-led offense against Baylor/Ok St. etc. last year.

Should be fun.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »
Maybe Bazooka Joe can throw it to himself?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »
1950's football.  How many different ways can we run the ball next yr?

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »

Can he run fast enough?

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »

Can he run fast enough?

Yes.  He is an amazing runner.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2015, 06:57:57 PM »
If it's gonna be bazooka joe, we need t-shirts. Branding must start now. We also need some inflatable bazookas.

Gonna win 'em all!