Author Topic: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!  (Read 106520 times)

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
Re: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
Oh, this could get embarassing for Testy Westy :clac:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
eff.

I really dislike having to reconsider things.  I hope it doesn't come to that.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
what if oscar is a total badass?

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »
steve dave tweeted this and it's true, what if?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »

Well he has managed to become a multi-millionaire coaching basketball despite appearing to be a total dufus pud and six straight years of middling to poor results.  That takes some doing.  Certainly a possible display of bad assery to get paid millions to both simultaneously not coach somewhere and to coach somewhere.  Total boss stud move?  Definitely.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
oscar has always been known around basketball as a tactical genius.  Everyone always points to his only really good season being with Bill Self's players, but doesn't someone have to coach them?  The last couple years at Illinois were not fair representations of oscar's ability to coach.  If he can take this team to the Elite 8, I think people might shut up and stop questioning him.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
oscar has always been known around basketball as a tactical genius.  Everyone always points to his only really good season being with Bill Self's players, but doesn't someone have to coach them?  The last couple years at Illinois were not fair representations of oscar's ability to coach.  If he can take this team to the Elite 8, I think people might shut up and stop questioning him.

Leave
:adios:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
everyone just calm the eff down

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »

Leave

I think I'll stay.  I also think I'll continue to watch the games and grasp some kind of general idea of what's going on, which you apparently haven't done.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »

Leave

I think I'll stay.  I also think I'll continue to watch the games and grasp some kind of general idea of what's going on, which you apparently haven't done.

A reverse trolling if I've ever seen one. :ohno: :runaway: :surprised:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »

Wow, steve dave stole something from me. Really wish he would have been an option for "most pud poster" in the most recent poll. It wouldn't even have been close.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
steve dave
steve dave who?
steve dave from goEMAW
steve dave from goEMAW who?
You know, the pud poster.....
OH, STEVE DAVE!!! GET OFF MY PORCH YOU PUDLY BASTARD!!!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »

You're right.  Haven't done any of that, it's just blind hatred coming from ol' 8mp over here. 

The last couple years at Illinois were not fair representations of oscar's ability to coach.

Do go on?  Why is this?  Was he handcuffed by something that kept him from recruiting and coaching to the best of his ability?  He won one NCAA tournament game in the last 6 years.  1.  In the last 5 years, K-State has won 6 NCAA games. At Illinois they missed the NIT twice in the last 5 years and missed the NCAA 3 out of the last 5.  Yet we are supposed to discount his long-term failures because he had success nearly a decade ago with a guy who is a top 5 NBA point guard and 4 other NBA players, that he didn't recruit.

I know you are new, and I don't know if you've been a long time lurker or what, but these arguments have been made ad nauseum over the last 9 months.  Almost nothing oscar does this year will change what I expect him to do over the remainder of his time at K-State.  The minimum expectations many had for this team before the year started were either a sweet 16 and top 3 or 4 conference finish, or at the very least a repeat of last year.  Stealing one more game in the tournament and getting to the Elite Eight will not make people "shut up and stop questioning him." At least not intelligent people.  Ask Bread and other intelligent Illini if hiring oscar was worth it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:16:13 PM by 8manpick »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »

oscar is responsible for 2 really bad seasons and 6 pretty mediocre years of basketball at Illinois. That's not some small sample size and its silly to disregard that. I've been more willing than most to give him a shot, but the bad in his coaching resume can't be easily dismissed.

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »

Ask Bread and other intelligent Illini if hiring oscar was worth it.
[/quote]

Is he Coach K?  No, not at all.  But were there many options out there at the time?  I'm not sure what side you are on, but I've seen a lot of Frank bashing, as well as a lot of oscar bashing.  So what was less worth it?  Running Frank out of town for being a strict guy, or hiring the best available coach?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
Is he Coach K?  No, not at all.  But were there many options out there at the time?  I'm not sure what side you are on, but I've seen a lot of Frank bashing, as well as a lot of oscar bashing.  So what was less worth it?  Running Frank out of town for being a strict guy, or hiring the best available coach?

Dude, go through a handful of threads on the basketball board. This conversation happens in every other thread. I don't want it to happen in this thread. This is supposed to be a happy thread. And it's like, probably the last uncorrupted one.

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »

oscar is responsible for 2 really bad seasons and 6 pretty mediocre years of basketball at Illinois. That's not some small sample size and its silly to disregard that. I've been more willing than most to give him a shot, but the bad in his coaching resume can't be easily dismissed.

Last year they started out 15-3 for their first 18 games.  They went 2-12 for their last 14.  I understand that is just one year of several not very good years, but does that kind of trend look like a coaching flaw to you?  Looks more like a player issue.  But thats just from my experience. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »

Last year they started out 15-3 for their first 18 games.  They went 2-12 for their last 14.  I understand that is just one year of several not very good years, but does that kind of trend look like a coaching flaw to you?  Looks more like a player issue.  But thats just from my experience.

Either way it falls back to the coach because he recruited the players.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2013, 06:26:31 PM »

Dude, go through a handful of threads on the basketball board. This conversation happens in every other thread. I don't want it to happen in this thread. This is supposed to be a happy thread. And it's like, probably the last uncorrupted one.

Yeah, someone should mod this to the threads that StarsBraves should go back and read. There are at least 50 other threads where several people have argued this to death, so I'll leave it at this: oscar was not the best available coach, he was a failure at a job that was easier than this one.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »

I echo jakesie and 8mp here.  This is a KSU cats' men's hoops rankings thread not an "I'm a fuckface pud who just discovered gE please explain everything to me" thread.  Read some old threads stupid noob.  :thumbs:

Offline StarsBravesKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »

I echo jakesie and 8mp here.  This is a KSU cats' men's hoops rankings thread not an "I'm a fuckface pud who just discovered gE please explain everything to me" thread.  Read some old threads stupid noob.  :thumbs:

Because I'm the one who brought up oscar, right?  You can't even read this thread, why should I go read the others?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »
goddamnit. do this in another thread StarsBravesKSU. tia
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Rock Lobster

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »

Because I'm the one who brought up oscar, right?  You can't even read this thread, why should I go read the others?

STFU or you'll be seeing STARS after I hit you with a BRAVES tomahawk chop! Go KSU!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »
Running Frank out of town for being a strict guy

So dumb, so dumb, so dumb, SO! He's climbin in yo windows, snatchin yo people up

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
I've had it to here with this stars guy.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Running Frank out of town for being a strict guy

So dumb, so dumb, so dumb, SO! He's climbin in yo windows, snatchin yo people up
So, hide yo players, hide yo coaches, and hide yo familes cus he kickin errbody out 'here
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!