Author Topic: Minority rule politics  (Read 8404 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Minority rule politics
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2018, 10:52:20 PM »
What makes a "supermajority" the best way to ratify a Constitution anyway?

I can't really tell if you're being serious or not. If so, what do you propose as a superior method?

well, it might be the best but keep in you haven't exactly defined what "supermajority" means to you. Are you referring to the current process to amend the constitution?

But a sumpermajority is the best way to give a stamp of approval to ratify a new constitution, and we could only get a small portion of the constitution passed with a supermajority today, what does that say about the current status of the constitution?

That too many people don't even know what's good for 'em?

well in that case we're back to a supermajority not being the be best way to ratify a constitution

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2018, 11:01:56 PM »
What makes a "supermajority" the best way to ratify a Constitution anyway?

I can't really tell if you're being serious or not. If so, what do you propose as a superior method?

well, it might be the best but keep in you haven't exactly defined what "supermajority" means to you. Are you referring to the current process to amend the constitution?

But a sumpermajority is the best way to give a stamp of approval to ratify a new constitution, and we could only get a small portion of the constitution passed with a supermajority today, what does that say about the current status of the constitution?

That too many people don't even know what's good for 'em?

well in that case we're back to a supermajority not being the be best way to ratify a constitution

In the current political climate, I don't really trust the general masses to make decisions that affect my rights. So I'm good with keeping it like it is, with an un-elected, mostly Ivy League group of 9 elite fogies "calling balls and strikes" and "uncovering" new constitutional truths. It's not perfect, but it's what we got. We all know the amendment process is broken. It was designed and ratified in a time where only white male landowners could vote, and they were more likely to be civically engaged. Obvs I'm not advocating for a return to our salad days. Just saying times were different.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2018, 12:27:12 AM »
Hell I'd be OK with preserving current amendments if it made it easier to get stuff that seems relevant today in there. I mean, a lot of what I personally want from a new constitution would be expansion or updates/rewording of current amendments.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2018, 01:01:42 AM »
Hell I'd be OK with preserving current amendments if it made it easier to get stuff that seems relevant today in there. I mean, a lot of what I personally want from a new constitution would be expansion or updates/rewording of current amendments.

The clay is malleable enough to mold just about whatever you want into the 14th Amendment. Just vote for Democrats. Much easier than the route you've been discussing.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »
I click on threads and I click on links and all I get is SUCK
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1023207485178560512

Is Washington more disfunctional than it was in the past?

What's most interesting to me about the increasing polarization of red and blue is how tiny the differences between the mainstream parties are.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »
Is Washington more disfunctional than it was in the past?

What's most interesting to me about the increasing polarization of red and blue is how tiny the differences between the mainstream parties are.

yes, but only if you limit your conception of the past to the post-ww 2 era.  prior to that, dysfunction (in the sense of lack of cooperation btwn parties) was typical.

10-15 years ago, i would have agreed with the statement that the differences between democrats and republicans were relatively small, but that is no longer the case.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2018, 07:00:01 PM »
10-15 years ago, i would have agreed with the statement that the differences between democrats and republicans were relatively small, but that is no longer the case.

what's changed the most?

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »

what's changed the most?

Operation Red Map happened, The GOP essentially removed swing districts in the redistricting effort of 2010. They removed 24-30 swing districts to create safe GOP seats and pack a strong majority of democrats into a few districts. So there is no incentive for anyone to compromise as if they do it's perceived as weak. That is the key if the GOP wouldn't have rat mumped the maps in 2010 as bad as they did, we'd probably have another 25-45 swing districts and less safe districts to encourage compromise.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2018, 07:17:07 PM »
i mean that's a subjective thing.  in terms of polarization, i think both parties have moved from the center (pubs first, but dems seem to be intent on catching up - the 2020 dem candidate is almost certain to campaign way left of 2000, 2004, 2008 candidates).  but i'd say the most dramatic change has been the pub shift to nationalism.  racial/ethnic correlation with party identity has also increased, and seems to me likely to continue increasing - which likely has and will continue to influence policy divergence.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »
Did you mean to put that in the LOL trump?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1031637719427018757

I really don't see a problem with this. We should just abolish the electoral college and keep the house and senate as they are.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »

what's changed the most?

Operation Red Map happened, The GOP essentially removed swing districts in the redistricting effort of 2010. They removed 24-30 swing districts to create safe GOP seats and pack a strong majority of democrats into a few districts. So there is no incentive for anyone to compromise as if they do it's perceived as weak. That is the key if the GOP wouldn't have rat mumped the maps in 2010 as bad as they did, we'd probably have another 25-45 swing districts and less safe districts to encourage compromise.

2010 is more than halfway across the axis of the chart. The trend was well under way for the decade prior.  Granted, there's devil in the details of how they classify a swing seat that I haven't bothered to dig into that could be masking the effects of redistricting.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Minority rule politics
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »
Yes our founding fathers would be appalled that Supreme Court Justices are not picked in line with prevailing popular sentiment. Seriously where do you find these dum dums?

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
Expand the Supreme Court  :shakesfist:
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
Back to whining about populations of congressional districts and senate control.  :cry: :Crybaby: :D

It's like they don't know what the words United and States and America mean.  :gocho:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2018, 12:14:08 AM »
Just  :ROFL: that the implication of "lost the popular vote" means they're all fine with a winning majority being an impressive 35% or so of people eligible to vote.