Author Topic: How much are we going to pay our players?  (Read 32863 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much are we going to pay our players?
« Reply #376 on: March 13, 2024, 10:27:26 AM »
His left hand is wiping away the tears as his right hand is holding the smoking gun

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 13, 2024, 11:22:23 AM »
Serious question: what did Saban do? He seems like a hardass but I can’t think of anything that’s really made me question his integrity, or that he at all played a part in the BS the SEC has been engaged in.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 13, 2024, 11:50:20 AM »
Complaining about money ruining the game while simultaneously being the highest paid coach?  Then there's his wife complaining that football players just care about being where they get paid the most money.  It's a free market system so it is what it is, but it's funny that he starts complaining once his money isn't on the line.  :th_twocents:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 13, 2024, 12:14:07 PM »
That logic doesn't really make sense to me. What is the alternative for a HC? Just voluntarily let the university keep more of the value that he's driving? Take some of his salary in scholarship money and get another degree?

The school doesn't pay the players. And his complaint isn't that they're focused on NIL money, it's that they're focused on cashing out their current value instead of focusing on increasing their value for the NFL or whatever. FWIW, I do think actually employing the players rather than trying to come up with all these side NIL deals would address some of the problem.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 13, 2024, 01:21:53 PM »
Serious question: what did Saban do? He seems like a hardass but I can’t think of anything that’s really made me question his integrity, or that he at all played a part in the BS the SEC has been engaged in.

I personally know three people who worked with him directly at different jobs and they all described him in varying terms as essentially being "the most miserable a$$hole on the planet."

Beyond being insufferable to work for (it wasn't just people using him as a stepping stone to better jobs - you could only work for that guy for a finite amount of time), he was an incredible hypocrite in loads of respects - whether it be about money, the level playing field, etc. He presented himself as an advocate for the game, but he was always incredibly self-serving and disingenuous.

One of my favorite hypocrite moments was Saban bitching constantly for 2-3 years about up tempo/no-huddle offenses ruining the game of football ("Is this really what we want football to be?") and then getting pasted a few times and hiring Lane Kiffin to install an up tempo/no-huddle offense.

Obviously a great coach - at least when he had the advantages of being in top tier programs - there's mythology that he was great at Michigan State - he wasn't. He had one good year and then bolted for LSU.

Anyways, he's just a turd of a person - like many coaches, unfortunately.