Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 922371 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4075 on: March 24, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
Oliver Purnell went .340 at DePaul, (after going .611 at Clemson!)

Lesson: Don't take a job for money, Gregggg Marshall

And in case you're wondering, the lowest winning % among active P5 coaches?

Buzz Williams, at .333

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2015-coaches.html

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51:08 PM »
Surprisingly enough, Trent Johnson has made it three seasons with a sub-.400 record.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: March 24, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
Surprisingly enough, Trent Johnson has made it three seasons with a sub-.400 record.

He has upward trajectory. It's hard to find a job where that can ever be the case.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: March 24, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »

He has upward trajectory. It's hard to find a job where that can ever be the case.

I was surprised he was that low

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: March 24, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »

They lose Anderson and Ziegler, I would expect them to take a step back next year.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: March 24, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
Bzzz went 3 seasons with a sub-.400 record at Colorado and Wake Forest came along to hire him. :lol:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
I didn't know that stuff about Miss St when Ray got there. He did take over a program that won a little bit under Stansbury though and Ray's teams were awful. It would be hard to be patient with very little sign that the program was getting better.

And if Alabama is truly willing to double Gregg's salary, he should absolutely listen. What is the max Wichita will go to keep him? $2 Mil? $2.5?

I have no idea what WSU's athletics budget is but driving that entire budget is hoops so I have a hard time seeing how they wouldn't make more of an effort to keep him.

It depends partly on how much the Koch brothers will pay to keep him in Wichita.

The Koch brothers have their name on the arena, well Charles anyway, but they are not involved in the basketball program at all.

Pfft

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »
I didn't know that stuff about Miss St when Ray got there. He did take over a program that won a little bit under Stansbury though and Ray's teams were awful. It would be hard to be patient with very little sign that the program was getting better.

And if Alabama is truly willing to double Gregg's salary, he should absolutely listen. What is the max Wichita will go to keep him? $2 Mil? $2.5?

I have no idea what WSU's athletics budget is but driving that entire budget is hoops so I have a hard time seeing how they wouldn't make more of an effort to keep him.

It depends partly on how much the Koch brothers will pay to keep him in Wichita.

The Koch brothers have their name on the arena, well Charles anyway, but they are not involved in the basketball program at all.

Pfft

Gregg Marshall told Gary Parrish that, not sure why he would lie about it

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Bobby Hurley to Big East?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: March 25, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »

Pfft

Because it would alienate like half of the country, that's probably a decent reason.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: March 25, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »
I have never understood how DePaul is so bad at basketball when they're surrounded by so much talent in Chicago.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: March 25, 2015, 04:03:47 PM »
I have never understood how DePaul is so bad at basketball when they're surrounded by so much talent in Chicago.
Looks like Buffalo wants to keep him. Drama.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: March 25, 2015, 04:14:08 PM »
He brings most of his team at UB back next year. Probably not worth the move now when it could be a larger career jump next year.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: March 25, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »
He brings most of his team at UB back next year. Probably not worth the move now when it could be a larger career jump next year.
I agree. Hold out for the KSU Cats next year. :D

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: March 25, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »

Pfft

Because it would alienate like half of the country, that's probably a decent reason.

Why in the hell would Gregg Marshall even consider what someone in Brooklyn who may happen to hear Gary Parrish's podcast think about who is and isn't a donor for Wichita State basketball? Even if the Koch Brothers openly pumped millions of dollars into the program why would any liberal care and if they did, and if so it still wouldn't have any negative ramifications for Wichita State basketball? The Koch brothers give money to Kansas State University and there are about 10 people who spend any time even thinking about it. I seriously doubt there would be a single person that matters that would object if the Koch's gave $10,000,000 to KU or KSU athletics.

There is plenty of empirical evidence to show that the Koch's aren't involved in WSU basketball, like the fact that WSU had to buy a jet to fly to Omaha last week instead of using the buses the NCAA provides. Anyone who lives in Wichita knows that the Koch's have multiple jets and if they were big basketball supporters they absolutely would have given WSU athletics the use of one for that 45 minute flight. I also know for a 100% A+++ fact that at least as of 5 years or so ago there were no appearances by the Koch Brothers at very private WSU basketball events.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: March 25, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »

Pfft

Why in the hell would Gregg Marshall even consider what someone in Brooklyn who may happen to hear Gary Parrish's podcast think about who is and isn't a donor for Wichita State basketball? Even if the Koch Brothers openly pumped millions of dollars into the program why would any liberal care and if they did, and if so it still wouldn't have any negative ramifications for Wichita State basketball? The Koch brothers give money to Kansas State University and there are about 10 people who spend any time even thinking about it. I seriously doubt there would be a single person that matters that would object if the Koch's gave $10,000,000 to KU or KSU athletics.

There is plenty of empirical evidence to show that the Koch's aren't involved in WSU basketball, like the fact that WSU had to buy a jet to fly to Omaha last week instead of using the buses the NCAA provides. Anyone who lives in Wichita knows that the Koch's have multiple jets and if they were big basketball supporters they absolutely would have given WSU athletics the use of one for that 45 minute flight. I also know for a 100% A+++ fact that at least as of 5 years or so ago there were no appearances by the Koch Brothers at very private WSU basketball events.

I wasn't trying to say that they were involved with the program. Just saying if they were closely involved with the program, then Gregg Marshal would have plenty of reason to lie about it. Just the possible distraction it could become would be enough reason.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: March 25, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
I wasn't trying to say that they were involved with the program. Just saying if they were closely involved with the program, then Gregg Marshal would have plenty of reason to lie about it. Just the possible distraction it could become would be enough reason.

Nah. Everyone who knows or cares wrongly assumes they do anyway, even people in the media. You have to be a pretty devoted college basketball fan to know that Charles Koch's name is on the arena. Devoted sports fans are not the type of people who would give a crap about the political leanings of a donor, we're not talking about the EBC or the KKK.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: March 25, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
I'm not saying the Koch's are deeply involved, but there's definitely a relationship. If you google Gregg Marshall Charles Koch half the results involve the two people instead of the arena, including the ice bucket challenge video.

Koch wouldn't break the bank to keep Marshall there, but I'd bet he's part of the equation.

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: March 25, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »
If he wanted to, Koch could pay Marshall the most ludicrous salary in CBB history for a decade with the equivalent of loose change buried beneath sofa cushions.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: March 26, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
If he wanted to, Koch could pay Marshall the most ludicrous salary in CBB history for a decade with the equivalent of loose change buried beneath sofa cushions.

Charles Koch is rich? I call bullshit.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: March 26, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/581182500669652992

crap is about to get crazy. Apparently the Bradley job is about to get filled. I hope oscar gets a chance to run. Everything is too messy. I hope Cal and Self take NBA jobs. I want to watch everything burn.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: March 26, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
I wonder how tied JC is to oscar if a quality guy hit the market and might have interest?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: March 26, 2015, 07:56:18 PM »
warm up the gregg Marshall to Alabama
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: March 26, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »
Yep.  Getting your ass handed to you in the.post season,  after public speculation about taking another job, is usually a pretty good indication.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
Add Tennessee to the list of schools in the SEC making a coaching change... Donnie Tyndall has been canned for NCAA violations he made at Southern Miss.