Author Topic: Delton thoughts  (Read 9044 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Delton thoughts
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
He's much better than Sams.

Very debatable.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Delton thoughts
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 02:33:50 PM »
Those last two catches by Zuber became 50/50 balls because Delton's throw allowed the defense to recover. One of them must have slipped because it ducked so much it was nearly end over end. He also threw the db back into the play on Gruntley's first catch. I did like that Dana gave him easier throws early to help him get in a rhythm.

Also he was already flexing his leg a couple of times last night.

And those throws weren't much better than the interception he threw before halftime, the receiver (I don't recall who it was) just didn't make any kind of play on the ball on that one.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Delton's throw in the INT was rushed by the pass rush.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »

It was right at the defender. So far behind the receiver. It almost looked like the receiver ran the wrong route but I'm pretty sure Delton was just that far off the mark.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »

It was right at the defender. So far behind the receiver. It almost looked like the receiver ran the wrong route but I'm pretty sure Delton was just that far off the mark.
Yeah he rushed the throw because he was about to take a hit. Was a terrible throw/decision but not a great indication of arm strength or accuracy.

Shitty play call for the situation, too.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »

Yeah he rushed the throw because he was about to take a hit. Was a terrible throw/decision but not a great indication of arm strength or accuracy.

I think he has the arm strength and athleticism to be great. I have serious concerns with his accuracy. I think everyone does. I'm responding more to Powercat Posse's response in that regard.

I just don't think all the reps in the world and coaching will improve his accuracy issues to the point he'll ever be worth a dang.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
Delton doesn't get me anywhere close to as excited as Sams, but Sams was a top 3 EMAW QB.  Delton's the most exciting we've put out there for years however.  I couldn't nap at all, even if most of that could be attributed to Gus's shtick.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
delton seems perfectly adequate/non-bottleneck’y

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »

I think he has the arm strength and athleticism to be great. I have serious concerns with his accuracy. I think everyone does. I'm responding more to Powercat Posse's response in that regard.

I just don't think all the reps in the world and coaching will improve his accuracy issues to the point he'll ever be worth a dang.

This is seriously crazy to me. Do you think Ertz is "worth a dang"? I mean a healthy Ertz is definitely better than Delton at this point but Delton could very easily be just as good or better. He could be worse too but it's way premature to declare him a bust.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 03:21:38 PM »
Maybe we should focus our anger at the coaches for being terrible at recruiting instead of defending a shitty qb from Iowa or a slightly less shitty qb from Hays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
Talent's not that bad, scheme has been the problem.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »

This is seriously crazy to me. Do you think Ertz is "worth a dang"? I mean a healthy Ertz is definitely better than Delton at this point but Delton could very easily be just as good or better. He could be worse too but it's way premature to declare him a bust.

I believe that we are completely 1-dimensional with Delton under center. I also understand that was the case with Ertz when he was healthy but I don't fault him as much as our receivers. Defenses have to defend the pass against Ertz but why would you with Delton?

I want a healthy Ertz starting and targeting Zuber and Gruntley since they have emerged as the two receivers who can catch a ball.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
Defenses have to defend the pass against Ertz but why would you with Delton?

To try to keep him under an 85% completion percentage?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »

I believe that we are completely 1-dimensional with Delton under center. I also understand that was the case with Ertz when he was healthy but I don't fault him as much as our receivers. Defenses have to defend the pass against Ertz but why would you with Delton?

I want a healthy Ertz starting and targeting Zuber and Gruntley since they have emerged as the two receivers who can catch a ball.

you think our receivers got magically better at catching the ball mid-season but don't think Delton's accuracy or decision making could improve over the course of a career? Also did you actually look at the box score?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »

I do not believe he's the guy you want in there if it's 3rd and 5 or more. If he can consistenly create where 3rd and 5+ is minimal then he can be good. I don't believe that's realistic.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »

you think our receivers got magically better at catching the ball mid-season but don't think Delton's accuracy or decision making could improve over the course of a career? Also did you actually look at the box score?

I think Pringle should not be counted on as much as we had originally thought. Zuber should be thrust into a more important role and Gruntley too. Essentially I'm saying I don't think you can teach accuracy or catching. I don't think Delton will ever be accurate throwing the ball and I honestly don't have any confidence throwing the ball to Pringle in the forseeable future. I'm not saying don't throw the ball to Pringle. I'm just saying don't expect anything more than Deante Burton.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
As long as Delton can be effective enough running the ball to create wide open receivers downfield, he is accurate enough. So basically, he's going to be great for us until he gets hurt. It's concerning to me that he isn't more accurate after being a college QB for a couple of years. It's like we put almost no effort in developing our backup QBs or something.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
Pringle can't catch a dang punt for christ sake.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
It's like we put almost no effort in developing our backup QBs or something.

Again, the backup QB who got the most meaningful playing time last year was Sr. Joe Hubener.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »

I do not believe he's the guy you want in there if it's 3rd and 5 or more. If he can consistenly create where 3rd and 5+ is minimal then he can be good. I don't believe that's realistic.

3rd and longs are bad for everyone. 3rd and 5? Delton/Barnes option. If the defense puts everyone in the box, he’ll be adequate at chucking it to some open receiver.

I want to die (or have football die) with my EMAW offense looking like Bishop’s and Roberson’s.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 06:04:43 PM »

3rd and longs are bad for everyone. 3rd and 5? Delton/Barnes option. If the defense puts everyone in the box, he’ll be adequate at chucking it to some open receiver.

I want to die (or have football die) with my EMAW offense looking like Bishop’s and Roberson’s.

1. Delton doesn't resemble Roberson or Bishop. They could throw the ball.

2. A Barnes option is a reasonable playcall on 3rd and 5 but less so with Delton as the QB because that's what the D is counting on.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »
Delton was extremely accurate last night, and exhibited good arm strength on the out routes we ran.  The dumb fuckery that is this thread angers me.  :curse:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
I don’t think I understand what being able to throw the ball consists of.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »
At one point yday, Delton ran the ball 21 of 38 plays. How is that freaking balance? 8 pass attempts, 8 RB runs, 1 WR jet sweep run.

Last year in a game, our 4 RBs averaged 7.8 per carry. They combined for 24 carries. Ertz ran it 30 freaking times. Now he ave 5.1 per carry. We had 2 drives late that went nowhere cause we ran Ertz too often.

Not saying abandon the QB run game, but 11 runs 23 yds after Halftime y'day, while the RBs get 5 carries is head scratching.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2017, 06:41:43 PM »
I don’t think I understand what being able to throw the ball consists of.

Being able to do more than designed pass plays with one read.