Author Topic: If this is Bill Synder's last KSU coach team to come into Austin  (Read 11945 times)

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
Re: If this is Bill Synder's last KSU coach team to come into Austin
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »
Sean's audition isn't going well.

Yes, without the patented McCrane Kick, we are awful on special teams

Ummm, we're actually pretty good
Average kickoff returns- 19th in the country, 11th in the power 5, 2nd in the conference
Average punt returns 13th in the country, 11th in the power 5, 2nd in the conference
Kickoff touchback percentage- 35th in the country, 24th in the power 5, 3rd in the conference
Opponent kick return yardage- 18th in the country, 11th in the power 5, 2nd in the conference
Opponent punt return yardage- 11th in the country, 5th in the power 5, 2nd in the conference

Yep.

Coordinator grades:

Sean - A
Tom - A-
Dana - C

Position coach grades:

Coleman - ?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
Are those from conference games or when we were pounding loser schools?

It's from all games, just like it is for all the other schools.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
I'm confused. Isn't Sean's grade really about how the entire team is doing?  I mean, we know Bill is going to say he didn't do jack crap and left it all up to wonderful Sean.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
That's how the script was supposed to go, right?  A bang up year and then Bill says "guess what, it was all really Sean so hire him!!!"

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 08:04:42 PM »
That's how the script was supposed to go, right?  A bang up year and then Bill says "guess what, it was all really Sean so hire him!!!"

Yeah. Bill still is in good enough position to win more games and hand the keys to Sean, though. The loss to Vanderbilt hurt a lot less than a Big 12 loss.

Offline CaliforniaLonghorn

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 09:04:38 PM »

Yeah. Bill still is in good enough position to win more games and hand the keys to Sean, though. The loss to Vanderbilt hurt a lot less than a Big 12 loss.

If you wouldn't mind would you be able to let me know your perspective on what went wrong in that game. I may watch some of that game this week to get a better understanding of K State. What I did see in the BU game is that if UT can shut down K state's run game and keep Ertz from gaining a lot of yards running the ball UT should win easily cause Ertz cannot hit any receivers downfield.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:08:23 PM by CaliforniaLonghorn »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »

If you wouldn't mind would you be able to let me know your perspective on what went wrong in that game. I may watch some of that game this week to get a better understanding of K State. What I did see in the BU game is that if UT can shut down K state's run game and keep Ertz from gaining a lot of yards running the ball UT should win easily cause Ertz cannot hit any receivers downfield.

K-State receivers have approximately 37 dropped passes in the last two games.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 09:29:30 PM »
I'm confused. Isn't Sean's grade really about how the entire team is doing?  I mean, we know Bill is going to say he didn't do jack crap and left it all up to wonderful Sean.

I don't think the coaching staff spends much time attempting to fulfill fan's narratives

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
I bet there are two members of the coaching staff that care a great deal about the narrative

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 11:51:04 AM »
3 - I am pretty sure this is the only $500,000+ job where you get to call plays for your kid

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
I bet there are two members of the coaching staff that care a great deal about the narrative

I guess I missed when any coach stated that Sean is in charge of this team. I don't see Sean giving instruction to the offense, defense, and special teams on the sideline like Bill does.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »
Bill doesn't even wear a headset anymore, so I guess you did miss it.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »
Miracle ear headset.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
I guess time will simply tell if Bill makes the claim that Sean was doing a lot of the coaching.  MIR says it won't happen, pete says it will and actually has.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »
Sean maybe (probably?) has a bigger role in day to day management operations of the program, but his input on offense/defense is still likely non existent. Dimel and Hayes probably have more control than they've ever had and they've had plenty of control the entire time they've been here. Perhaps Snyder will use this to show that Sean can indeed run the program in the future and will push for it as soon as this season is over, but honestly its not a big deal for me.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
I've embraced Sean as the next HC, I suggest everyone else prepare to do the same.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
I guess time will simply tell if Bill makes the claim that Sean was doing a lot of the coaching.  MIR says it won't happen, pete says it will and actually has.

No, I said they haven't said that. I sit behind the bench, Sean isn't involved with the entirety of the team like Bill is. Like _FAN said, Sean's increased role, if he has one, is Monday-Friday. I don't care what Pete sees on TV, I'm telling you what's actually happening on the sidelines.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 11:43:54 PM »
Been pondering this lately: If Sean becomes HC, who will succeed him when it's time for him to go?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
Been pondering this lately: If Sean becomes HC, who will succeed him when it's time for him to go?

TATE! :billdance:

Offline KSURFC8

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
I've changed my mind. I'm liking Leavitt more and more each day.

I have not changed my mind that Sean Snyder has no business succeeding his father as HC of KSU. He's done nothing to add to his resume that would qualify him for a HC position. If he (and his Dad) wanted it that bad, he/they should have sent him somewhere to get that requisite experience. Not being named OC or DC at KSU at some point, to me, speaks volumes about Sean's HC potential and it ain't good.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill/George Orwell

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »

I have not changed my mind that Sean Snyder has no business succeeding his father as HC of KSU. He's done nothing to add to his resume that would qualify him for a HC position. If he (and his Dad) wanted it that bad, he/they should have sent him somewhere to get that requisite experience. Not being named OC or DC at KSU at some point, to me, speaks volumes about Sean's HC potential and it ain't good.

This is ridiculous because you know full well that at Kansas State, under LHC Bill Snyder, the special teams coordinator is just as important as the offensive and defensive coordinators.

I'm out of the business of convincing people that Sean should be the guy, but the contrived reasons people don't want him are hilarious. Dabo Swinney was good enough for Clemson, Lincoln Riley was good enough for OU, NFL teams are hiring coaches that were in elementary school when Sean was a college assistant, but we can't take a chance on a guy who was closest to what was built here? That logic doesn't make sense at all.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Speaking of complicated succession planning, did anyone else watch the FRONTLINE program about North Korea last night? Fascinating.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »

This is ridiculous because you know full well that at Kansas State, under LHC Bill Snyder, the special teams coordinator is just as important as the offensive and defensive coordinators.

I'm out of the business of convincing people that Sean should be the guy, but the contrived reasons people don't want him are hilarious. Dabo Swinney was good enough for Clemson, Lincoln Riley was good enough for OU, NFL teams are hiring coaches that were in elementary school when Sean was a college assistant, but we can't take a chance on a guy who was closest to what was built here? That logic doesn't make sense at all.

I agree. My biggest concern with Sean has never been his ability to manage and run the program, but his ability to attract and keep quality coordinators and assistants. I think initially he might be fine because of his current connections with guys he's worked with through Bill's program, but over time can he maintain it. At the end of the day this was what caused Prince's downfall (very quickly), he simply couldn't mesh with his initial group of quality assistants and after they left there was no positive direction in the program. I've become less concerned by that over the last few years though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:58 AM »

I agree. My biggest concern with Sean has never been his ability to manage and run the program, but his ability to attract and keep quality coordinators and assistants. I think initially he might be fine because of his current connections with guys he's worked with through Bill's program, but over time can he maintain it. At the end of the day this was what caused Prince's downfall (very quickly), he simply couldn't mesh with his initial group of quality assistants and after they left there was no positive direction in the program. I've become less concerned by that over the last few years though.

That's also my biggest concern. If he gets the job his initial staff should be fine, the only person who may leave due to butthurt would be Dana. However, I'm guessing even Dana would be fine,  he's still here even knowing Bill's wishes, and he's known Sean for nearly 30 years. I'm also guessing we'll continue to pay our assistants well. As long as Sean wins, he'll have no problem getting good assistants. Ron's first staff was great, he had trouble because no one wanted to be around him, Sean doesn't have that issue.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
That's also my biggest concern. If he gets the job his initial staff should be fine, the only person who may leave due to butthurt would be Dana. However, I'm guessing even Dana would be fine,  he's still here even knowing Bill's wishes, and he's known Sean for nearly 30 years. I'm also guessing we'll continue to pay our assistants well. As long as Sean wins, he'll have no problem getting good assistants. Ron's first staff was great, he had trouble because no one wanted to be around him, Sean doesn't have that issue.

Yeah, the transition will be interesting if Sean takes over.

My initial thought is that defense would have huge changes; Hayes, Mo, and Fabris would all likely retire. Seiler would likely be back, but I'm not sure he's coordinator ready right now.

I'd actually feel pretty good about keeping Dana and the offensive entire staff together. Dimel is reaching the point where he probably won't have the option of being a FBS head coach, so he can stay here and work with a familiar staff or go out on his own. I think if we continue to pay him well, he'll stay and the offense would continue (which I have no problem with).