Author Topic: 8-man Football  (Read 10754 times)

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 8-man Football
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 08:16:39 AM »
I watched (and announced) 8-man games for 9 years when out west.  Kind of miss the game.  Did some amazing stuff (and also saw the most vicious hits I have ever seen in the HS game at that level due to the speed nature of the game).

Anyone ever involved in 6-man football?  I know it was played by a few schools in NWK (played in either a CO or NE league) not too long ago.  My guess it would be some serious hfbiq stuff.
Dad played 6 man in the 50's.  The Berryton Buffaloes only loss in  53 came against Lecompton. His coach was Jerry Reichert who officiated my high school games and worked for Assays sporting goods in Topeka.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tom, grats to your Leathernecks for picking up a win against an FBS school.
Thanks MIR.  I think CC coach has health issues and they are down this year but a good win.  They beat Northern Illinois last year in Dekalb as well.

Tom

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
I watched (and announced) 8-man games for 9 years when out west.  Kind of miss the game.  Did some amazing stuff (and also saw the most vicious hits I have ever seen in the HS game at that level due to the speed nature of the game).

Anyone ever involved in 6-man football?  I know it was played by a few schools in NWK (played in either a CO or NE league) not too long ago.  My guess it would be some serious hfbiq stuff.

What years? I watched every 8-man state championship game from '02-'11 so I got to know Jetmore and Hanston pretty well.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »

What years? I watched every 8-man state championship game from '02-'11 so I got to know Jetmore and Hanston pretty well.

I can't remember if we ever lost to Jetmore when I was in HS.
@mikec2w

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 07:51:44 PM »

1996-2004.  Announced home games most of those years, took stats for coaches on road games.

Watched our kids get crushed more than once by Hanston.

Most interesting game was when my school, Satanta, won is only playoff game ever against Greeley County when GC was expected to win the state championship.  That game was sort of like a triple Christmas.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »
8 man football is a pretty cool game. My sophomore year my hometown, the mighty Downs Dragons, made the playoffs and lost to Claflin. 1990, what a time to be alive.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »

1996-2004.  Announced home games most of those years, took stats for coaches on road games.

Watched our kids get crushed more than once by Hanston.

Most interesting game was when my school, Satanta, won is only playoff game ever against Greeley County when GC was expected to win the state championship.  That game was sort of like a triple Christmas.
I've drank a lot of beer in the garage of a former Satanta coach named Schultz. Was he around then?

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
8 man football is a pretty cool game. My sophomore year my hometown, the mighty Downs Dragons, made the playoffs and lost to Claflin. 1990, what a time to be alive.
I didn't know Claflin played 8-man before the recent drop down. They were beating teams 60-0 in the 2A playoffs when I started reading the Salina Journal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:25:20 PM by bubbles4ksu »

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »
I've drank a lot of beer in the garage of a former Satanta coach named Schultz. Was he around then?

Cliff was the coach of Greeley County that year.  He came to Satanta, I believe, after an intervening year (his team won state the next year).

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
I didn't know Claflin played 8-man before the recent drop down. They were beating teams 60-0 in the 2A playoffs when I started reading the Salina Journal.
Coach Greg Webb made Claflin into an 8Man machine. Once, I barfed up a spicy beef stick on my friend in his Dad's car when we were driving to Hays to watch them play for the 'ship. Crazy to think that Downs has been folded into Lakeside HS. Those Waconda East girls used to be fast (on the track) back in the mid 90s.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »

Cliff was the coach of Greeley County that year.  He came to Satanta, I believe, after an intervening year (his team won state the next year).
Oh, I always thought he won the title with Satanta. I went with Cliff to a couple state championship games in Newton but apparently I didn't listen too closely to his stories.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »
Hmm, I always played 11man football
:adios:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
Hmm, I always played 11man football

it's the best of all football codes. the order is this: 8,15,11,13,7,6

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »
4,8,15,16,23,42?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

The Big Train

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 08:11:09 AM »
Coach Greg Webb made Claflin into an 8Man machine. Once, I barfed up a spicy beef stick on my friend in his Dad's car when we were driving to Hays to watch them play for the 'ship. Crazy to think that Downs has been folded into Lakeside HS. Those Waconda East girls used to be fast (on the track) back in the mid 90s.

We used to play them every year.  Those games were always a battle.
@mikec2w

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »

You said 1 twice, Fib Train.
:adios:

The Big Train

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

You said 1 twice, Fib Train.

You can’t get the second 1 without the first, I also left out the 0, Fibmanpick.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »
:lol:

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
Love the 8 man talk.  Lived in SD for a year after getting married they had a nine man division.  A couple pix of those 53 Berryton Buffalos.

Tom

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
Is this stuff still played on a regular field?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2017, 12:23:59 PM »
Is this stuff still played on a regular field?
80 x 40 field I believe.  Dad said they had no bleachers just a cable 5 yards back for people to park cars along the sideline.  Worst injury he ever mentioned was broken collar bone cause a kid got ran out of bounds hard and caught the bumper of a Packard.

Tom