Author Topic: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)  (Read 115751 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #875 on: July 26, 2017, 08:24:06 AM »
Go back and explain to your family what 'jfc' stands for.
:lol:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
So Learfield didn't dump 810 after all? That's too bad, they are a horrible partner.
810 is one of the best sports radio stations out there. What a weird take.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 26, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
So Learfield didn't dump 810 after all? That's too bad, they are a horrible partner.
810 is one of the best sports radio stations out there. What a weird take.
The morning show is really, really bad though. How the third wheel, Jake, i ever in front of a microphone is a great mystery. I think his tongue is too big for his mouth or he's always sucking on a grape (no, not Kietz). And then he's not funny or insightful. The other two are just average at best.

Soren can be pretty good at times though. And BITB is, well, BITB.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 26, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
I enjoy the morning show. I actually run around the same group of friends as Jake, so I don't mind him. He's the producer, so he kinda gets to do what he wants.

I mean, it's a really good sports station. It's made such an impact that it has it's own restaurants surviving (other than the plaza) around the KC area. It's depleted 610 too. If it wasn't for the Roayls and 98.9 the rock revenue keeping 610 afloat, they would have closed up shop years ago.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #879 on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
I think what MIR may be saying (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth) is that 810 will broadcast the games, but a lot of the other content that our other partner stations provide, they don't. 

I don't get any of the pregame stuff, and I can't really recall if they do much post game.  I usually have to web stream most of the content.

And to be clear, I'm not talking about the stuff 101.5 does that is proprietary to them.  I'm talking about the hour before and hour after the game.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #880 on: July 26, 2017, 09:49:20 AM »
I enjoy the morning show. I actually run around the same group of friends as Jake, so I don't mind him. He's the producer, so he kinda gets to do what he wants.

I mean, it's a really good sports station. It's made such an impact that it has it's own restaurants surviving (other than the plaza) around the KC area. It's depleted 610 too. If it wasn't for the Roayls and 98.9 the rock revenue keeping 610 afloat, they would have closed up shop years ago.

Steven St. John is pretty entertaining.  But overall, the morning show is pretty boring.  All of it is extremely repetitive.  I stopped listening to sports radio about two or three years ago because there's nothing new or insightful.  I get more enjoyment out of listening to various non-sports related podcasts.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 26, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
We should focus on all of the bold moves that Gene Taylor is making.  The expansion, the fund raising, the outright refusal to accept mediocrity in our athletics.

I think the extension of the horrible/far below average women's golf coach might be a fluke. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 26, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
I think what MIR may be saying (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth) is that 810 will broadcast the games, but a lot of the other content that our other partner stations provide, they don't. 

I don't get any of the pregame stuff, and I can't really recall if they do much post game.  I usually have to web stream most of the content.

And to be clear, I'm not talking about the stuff 101.5 does that is proprietary to them.  I'm talking about the hour before and hour after the game.
That makes sense

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
I don't get what many people are whispering.  When I look at Gene Taylor I do not see a really old dude who convinced some other old dudes that he will be nice and quiet and not rock the boat in exchange for a paycheck which is far in excess of what anyone else in America would pay him.  I certainly don't see a guy who absolutely intends on clinging to the job until he retires with no desire to excel and move onto an elite SEC or Big 10 job.  I bet Gene is already in the ears of the Presidents at Ohio State and Michigan explaining why it was actually a shrewd move extending a golf coach who could literally be replaced by someone who would work for free and achieve the same results.

I got my eye on this gunner, he is putting in work (behind the scenes)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 26, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
I'm through the first minute, lol at OBz hiring this guy.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 26, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
So to show I am even handed I will concede that the only thing Gene Taylor has done to date (besides cash a massive check and have a friendly cell phone chat with LHC Bill Snyder) was extend a women's golf coach who has been horrible.  I can even concede that the women's golf team may have better odds of success if there was no coach and we just provided them with clubs and pointed them towards the course on match day.  But what you don't see, that is apparent to me, is he is a gunner with a burning desire to make a huge splash here at KSU and turn that into one of the elite jobs in America.

I don't know his housing situation but I bet he is renting, month to month.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 26, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »

Exactly, they preempt K-State sports way too much. There have been several occasions that they'll preempt K-State programming for other college football games. Last season after a game I had to listen to OU vs. Tech because either the entire broadcast or the postgame was moved to another Union Broadcasting station that didn't come in clear in western Johnson County. They are a good sports talk network but a terrible broadcast partner and I'm not sure why Learfield tolerates it, 810 will still talk about K-State if they are on another network. Even the strong daytime signal does no good outside of 11AM kickoffs and on those you get zero pre or postgame.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 26, 2017, 05:00:42 PM »
hopefully we land on 1550 out of st. joe

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 26, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
I mostly don't care since I own a television.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 26, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
I care because I'm a normal person who, at times, has to leave the house and interact with people.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 26, 2017, 11:15:40 PM »
I can't believe we're losing out on that market of folks who listen to sports talk radio all day and only catch actual games because of a general indifference to changing the station when an actual game starts.  Sad times, folks.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 27, 2017, 07:37:41 AM »
As a Kansas City area resident, this radio thing does not impact me, because I frequently have convulsions when I hear Wyatt's voice, so I generally avoid the radio broadcasts.  This actually helps me, because I love the cats and am tempted to tempt fate and dare to listen from time to time if I have to be away from a TV during a game.  Anything that impedes that probably puts years on my life.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 27, 2017, 09:33:18 AM »
I care because I'm a normal person who, at times, has to leave the house and interact with people.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 27, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
That's cool, I prefer to do what I want when I want though. To each their own.

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 27, 2017, 09:32:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/kstatesports/status/890315368971071490

While I'll admit i have SOME egg on my face for making fun of you and then immediately seeing this....

Here is the the real issue, Wefald/Weiser SOLD our broadcasting rights to Learfield. So using this as some slight against Taylor holds exactly 0% water, because he or anyone at KSU has very little if any actual input/shot calling into renewing contracts or finding new broadcasting stations. It's kind of why Kenny Lannou explicitly states it's Learfield's obligation and responsibility to find a new radio home for Kstate sports in KC,  which i anticipate will happen rather quickly. Be upset and angry, but at least know who you should focus your angst at. Or just continue misplacing it

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #896 on: July 28, 2017, 07:32:51 AM »
Every school has a broadcast partner, Learfield, IMG etc etc.

Anyone who is engaged in a process such as this knows you don't rely solely on partners in your biggest market.

K-State ultimately retains the rights on all content.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 28, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
...AFTER THIS MESSAGE FROM LEARFIELD SPORTS

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 28, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
cjonline.com/stories/040805/cat_learfield.shtml#.WXtw

This gives a better picture. Yes learfield hold all of Kstates radio rights and dictates which stations broadcast KSU content throughout the state. Im sure there are some finer points, etc. But overall, this is Learfield issue with finding us a new home in KC.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 28, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »
So my pm box is full of you twits saying "but Dug, Gene Taylor is literally an older, lower energy and less qualified Tim Weiser!"

Well, what if I told you The Mustang doesn't even like to shoot pheasants?  You'd feel pretty stupid