Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4049307 times)

BostonPancake and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #30325 on: November 27, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
Also, WTF?

instant-replay fiasco in the Sept. 21 WSU-USC game.

Leach called Pac-12 general counsel Woodie Dixon, "a coward." And he wrote to Dixon: "Why can't I help wondering if you're trying to manipulate wins and losses?"

Dixon - who is untrained in officiating -- called into the conference's Centralized Instant-Replay Command Center during the Sept. 21 game and overruled the replay officials on a controversial targeting call .

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #30326 on: November 27, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »
Larry was a big time genius, according to most, back in the day. Instead he's actually the P12's Beebe.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30327 on: November 27, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
Also, WTF?

instant-replay fiasco in the Sept. 21 WSU-USC game.

Leach called Pac-12 general counsel Woodie Dixon, "a coward." And he wrote to Dixon: "Why can't I help wondering if you're trying to manipulate wins and losses?"

Dixon - who is untrained in officiating -- called into the conference's Centralized Instant-Replay Command Center during the Sept. 21 game and overruled the replay officials on a controversial targeting call .

also LOL @ this phrase:

"But Larry likes to go first cabin."

also the dude bought a house in Danville but moved the HQ from Walnut Creek to SF? What a dummy.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30328 on: November 27, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
Between new NFL teams, Lebron, and wildfires I don’t think the people of California have enough energy to put effort into their college teams.  This will continue to hurt the PAC 12 viewership and revenue.  PAC 12 needs to merge sooner than later.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30329 on: November 27, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »
Between new NFL teams, Lebron, and wildfires I don’t think the people of California have enough energy to put effort into their college teams.  This will continue to hurt the PAC 12 viewership and revenue.  PAC 12 needs to merge sooner than later.

As I stated before, I think Texas & OU will try to from new conference with the two Arizona & four California Schools.  This will leave us out along with KU, ISU, and WVU.  And this will happened in just a few years from now. 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30330 on: November 27, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
LOL

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30331 on: November 28, 2018, 02:50:26 AM »
AT&T walks away and takes U-verse with it: What it means for the Pac-12 Networks (and for subscribers)
Jon Wilner
PUBLISHED: November 27, 2018 at 10:56 am | UPDATED: November 27, 2018 at 5:02 pm
Categories:College Sports, Sports
The Pac-12 announced a gut-punch today that was months in the making:

AT&T will no longer carry the Pac-12 Networks on its U-verse service, effective Sunday.

Yep, the conference’s wholly-owned networks have been dropped by a distribution partner that just happens to be one of the largest telecommunications brands in the world.

Not. Good. At. All.

Neither the Big Ten Network or the SEC Network has ever lost a major distribution partner.

“We are of course disappointed by AT&T’s decision to no longer carry Pac-12 Networks on AT&T U-verse; we made every effort to extend our agreement,’’ Alden Budill, the networks’ SVP/head of distribution, said in a statement released to the Hotline.

“Even so, we’ve known this was a possibility for some time, and we have planned accordingly.

“We’re staying focused on maximizing the strong value we deliver to our long-term partners, and we’re proud that Pac-12 fans anywhere in the country have multiple ways to access our networks and the sports they love.”

Quick background before we assess the situation:

The conference’s contract with AT&T, which included U-verse and a wireless sponsorship deal — but not carriage on DirecTV — expired this summer. (Full background here.)

In late July, Pac-12 Networks president Mark Shuken told the Hotline that he was working on an extension of the deal.

That extension, which remained in place through the football season, has expired.

U-verse is gone.

So is any chance of a DirecTV deal with it, at least for the near future. (What happens when the Pac-12 renegotiates its media rights in four years is anyone’s guess.)

And so, too, is the wireless sponsorship component.

(Going forward, the Pac-12 will partner with wireless companies that are also fully committed to distribution. AT&T wasn’t all-in on carriage. Comcast and Cox, on the other hand, are committed, and the conference recently announced sponsorship deals with both. Shuken alluded to this approach in an interview in March.)

Reaction to the news:

1) To a certain degree, the decision to drop the Pac-12 Networks reflects AT&T’s view of the landscape.

In August, the company cut ties with beIN Sports, a global, soccer-heavy network.

In October, AT&T missed earnings estimates, revealed that DirecTV is bleeding subscribers, and got hammered by investors.

(The Dodgers still aren’t on DirecTV, by the way.)

2) The Hotline has been tracking the situation closely since the late spring, knowing the Pac-12’s contract with AT&T was coming to an end.

Multiple industry sources expressed deep skepticism that AT&T would re-up with the conference for the 2018-19 sports cycle.

Based on that, it’s not unreasonable to conclude the Pac-12 Networks did well to extend the deal through the football season.

3) Losing AT&T cannot be framed as anything other than a blow to the conference and commissioner Larry Scott — the networks are his brainchild; he is their chief executive.

But that’s due as much to the awful optics — to getting dropped by a partner of AT&T’s stature — as to the real-world impact.

The Pac-12 Networks are in approximately 20 million homes nationwide, with Comcast, Cox and DISH collectively occupying a significant share of the subscribers.

Our best guess is that approximately 400,000 – 500,000 subs watch the Pac-12 Networks on U-verse.

If we estimate a price point of approximately 85 cents per subscriber per month, that equates to roughly $5 million per year, or about $400,000 per school per year.

That’s 1.5 percent of the annual distribution paid by the conference to each campus (approximately $30 million per school).

(Please note: The other facets of the deal, such as wireless rights, make the net dollars involved difficult to assess. The Hotline’s estimate is extremely rough.)

Key point: As Budill mentioned in her statement, networks leadership knew this outcome was a distinct possibility.

It stands to reason Shuken and Budill were conservative with financial projections for FY19 and factored the potential loss of distribution into the networks’ budget in advance.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30332 on: November 28, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
Man what a wreck the P12 is.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30333 on: November 28, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »
I do believe the PAC 12 will break up in the next few years.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30334 on: November 28, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
lol

Staffers buzzed in anticipation and speculated that Scott had finally closed the Pac-12 Network’s long-awaited distribution deal with DirecTV. Then, a video was distributed to employees featuring Scott, in a solo shot, with the Las Vegas strip pictured behind him on a green screen.

The big news? Scott announced that he was getting a five-year contraction extension from the Pac-12 CEO Group.

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1067956078556536833

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30335 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »
lol

Staffers buzzed in anticipation and speculated that Scott had finally closed the Pac-12 Network’s long-awaited distribution deal with DirecTV. Then, a video was distributed to employees featuring Scott, in a solo shot, with the Las Vegas strip pictured behind him on a green screen.

The big news? Scott announced that he was getting a five-year contraction extension from the Pac-12 CEO Group.

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1067956078556536833

That’s amazing. It’s like he’s the real Michael Scott.
emaw

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ksu_mpa

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30337 on: December 01, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
That is how I feel at my dining room table when I am trying to have a conversation with my kids

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30338 on: December 01, 2018, 06:50:08 PM »
Well, I just finished watching the AAC Championship. They had a much more exciting game, with a crowd that was into the game.  Both teams looked good and played very well.  The made their CCG meaningful.  They were on prime time ABC and their attendance was around 47,000 plus; much larger than PAC12 CCG.  I noticed the AAC refers to themselves as a "P6" conference. 

I believe they will get a much better network contract in the near future.  Also with all the air time they get for their games they may become a Power conference.

Guys, if we want to expand, we need a couple of their best schools.  Hopefully, we'll get UCF and USF before their conference gets a new network contract that stops the schools from leaving without a huge penalty.  We lost out on Big East schools because we farted around and it could happen again.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:14:33 AM by Katdaddy »

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30339 on: December 03, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
I do believe the PAC 12 will break up in the next few years.

This seems extreme, as does OU and UT joining forces with the AZ and CA schools. Why would they take that risk? If anything, they can convince P12 schools to come join the Big XII as currently constituted. That'd be ideal.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #30340 on: December 03, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
I have been pretty adamantly against day dreaming posts in this thread for a while now (with zero success).  So, this next statement is not day dreaming, and is in direct response to the theme of the last page worth of “troubled PAC 12” posts...

Could Colorado be brought back?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30341 on: December 03, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »
I have been pretty adamantly against day dreaming posts in this thread for a while now (with zero success).  So, this next statement is not day dreaming, and is in direct response to the theme of the last page worth of “troubled PAC 12” posts...

Do we or would we ever want them back?   They were broke and shitty when the left and stayed that way in the PAC 12.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30342 on: December 03, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »
I think Colorado cares about being grouped with cool states over gross states a lot more than money.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30343 on: December 03, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
I think that's right.  Being in the Pac 12 is kind of like living in San Francisco.  Some people can afford to pay the price for the cool factor but most just suffer through and pretend like it doesn't suck while they try to find a way out.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30344 on: December 03, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »

The only deserter that might ever come back home is Nebraska.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30345 on: December 04, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
I'd be cool with Nebraska coming back.  Colorado would be great to have back in the conference, but I think they're like that smart-edgy kid in high school who gets accepted to an elitist liberal arts college and drops all their hometown friends/connections once they move away.  They never really come back after that.  Maybe we could go after their partying pot-smoking younger brother Colorado State?  I'm not good with analogies.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30346 on: December 04, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
I'd be cool with Nebraska coming back.  Colorado would be great to have back in the conference, but I think they're like that smart-edgy kid in high school who gets accepted to an elitist liberal arts college and drops all their hometown friends/connections once they move away.  They never really come back after that.  Maybe we could go after their partying pot-smoking younger brother Colorado State?  I'm not good with analogies.

nebraska is a school full of pantywastes, screw them 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30347 on: December 04, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
COME ON MAN.  They're in a football wasteland right now and it would be another guarantee win for our Kats every year.  We could relegate them to KU status by beating them 30 years in a row.  We could be their bowl game.  My ego needs this.  I hate Nebraska.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30348 on: December 04, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
Nebraska needs us far more than we need them. I say we let them rot.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30349 on: December 04, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
Nebraska would start filling our stadium with red again, like they are doing with every school in the big 10, and they'd have fun dominating us again.

I hate them just thinking about it, hard pass.

Colorado i would love!