Author Topic: Americans on disability - 10,000,000+  (Read 1762 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Americans on disability - 10,000,000+
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
No comment, I just found this story interesting.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Americans on disability - 10,000,000+
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
Very good article

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »
It's one of the biggest ongoing frauds in our country.

It really is pretty bad. 

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »
Not a surprise. I've been to Wal-mart where it seems half the parking spots are reserved for the handicapped.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »
You know who never would have had this problem? Pol Pot.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
People my age, 40's are pretty much mumped, but any of you in or just out of college are completely and undeniably penetrated.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:48:55 AM »
It's one of the biggest ongoing frauds in our country.

It really is pretty bad. 

This American Life has a radio story version of the article.  Really ridiculous how that system works. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
A couple thoughts:

"People who leave the workforce and go on disability qualify for Medicare, the government health care program that also covers the elderly. They also get disability payments from the government of about $13,000 a year. This isn't great. But if your alternative is a minimum wage job that will pay you at most $15,000 a year, and probably does not include health insurance, disability may be a better option."

The incentive to go on disability is much higher than the incentive to work a minimum wage, low-skilled job.  Not only do you receive medical benefits from disability (and roughly the same effective wage), you get unlimited leisure time.  And if you really want to milk the system, just have a kid and claim disability for them as well.  It's a vicious cycle, and unfortunately, it's another example of a program with good intentions leading to unexpected consequences.

"Part of Clinton's welfare reform plan pushed states to get people on welfare into jobs, partly by making states pay a much larger share of welfare costs. The incentive seemed to work; the welfare rolls shrank. But not everyone who left welfare went to work.

A person on welfare costs a state money. That same resident on disability doesn't cost the state a cent, because the federal government covers the entire bill for people on disability. So states can save money by shifting people from welfare to disability. And the Public Consulting Group is glad to help"

So not only is there an individual incentive for people to claim disability, there's an incentive for individual states as well. 

:curse:

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
 :frown:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
IMO, the big problem is that there is nobody with the Government's interest involved in any part of this.  It would be a shitty job though and I don't know who would want it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »
The problem is its a government program, so there is no incentive to avoid fraud or run efficiently.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
Does anyone know a person on disability?

My my friend's GF's dad was a dentist before hurting his back, according to my friend he clears around 150k in disability tax free each year. He was also in the army for a while so he gets VA and all sorts of other benefits. No idea if my friend is correct but he is pretty adamant about it being true and judging by the dad's lifestyle I believe him. Not sure how I feel about this because I see the dad doing light yard work(Raking leaves, landscaping, etc) all the time.

My deadbeat cousin's wife attempted to get on disability a couple of years ago....I used to see them about once a year when they would stop in during Christmas to pick up the $100 check from my gramps....she mentions she had just applied for disability because "The car accident I was in 8 years ago just makes it too hard to stand all day working"...This woman has never held a job for more than 2 months and most of her "Jobs" are MLM schemes like amway.

I actually went to the SSD website and submitted a review about why she should not be approved. No idea if it helped but she was not given disability.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »

My my friend's GF's dad was a dentist before hurting his back, according to my friend he clears around 150k in disability tax free each year. He was also in the army for a while so he gets VA and all sorts of other benefits. No idea if my friend is correct but he is pretty adamant about it being true and judging by the dad's lifestyle I believe him. Not sure how I feel about this because I see the dad doing light yard work(Raking leaves, landscaping, etc) all the time.

My deadbeat cousin's wife attempted to get on disability a couple of years ago....I used to see them about once a year when they would stop in during Christmas to pick up the $100 check from my gramps....she mentions she had just applied for disability because "The car accident I was in 8 years ago just makes it too hard to stand all day working"...This woman has never held a job for more than 2 months and most of her "Jobs" are MLM schemes like amway.

I actually went to the SSD website and submitted a review about why she should not be approved. No idea if it helped but she was not given disability.

Dentists should get the same disability payments as everybody else. $13,000 is plenty.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »

The dude must have bought a private dissability policy to replace his income, probably not a mooch.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »

The dude must have bought a private dissability policy to replace his income, probably not a mooch.

If he's not really disabled, he is.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

Private sector insurance companies not nearly as easy to defraud as the government.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »

Private sector insurance companies not nearly as easy to defraud as the government.

The government doesn't even try to avoid fraud anymore, they actually encourage it as a matter of policy.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:20:15 PM »
It's funny, reading threads like this you can almost hear the libtards becoming slightly more conservative. Slowly but surely, they're growing up, and it's dawning on them just how mumped we are due to our ever growing and unsustainable welfare state.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.