Author Topic: Briles > Snyder  (Read 190903 times)

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Re: Briles > Snyder
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
Soooo... are you saying that is more impressive than Snyder's turn around?

No, but it's okay to admit that there's now another coach in the league who you can say owns Snyder. 

Stoops, Gundy, now Briles.

So the fact that a vastly superior Baylor team almost got beat by a crap KSU team (which would have made it 2-2 vs 3-1) now means Briles > Snyder? What if the cats won, would you declare Briles = Snyder?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
Who is responsible for assembling the "crap" K-State squad?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 08:57:23 PM »
But, but, who gives a crap.  :'bye cruel world:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »
This year, Art Briles has been a better coach.  Over their careers?  Snyder wins, and it's not close.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
This admittedly crap KState squad is still better than most of the teams that played before Snyder.  It also has plenty of future potential, the team is improving, coaching still needs to improve, but this year doesn't discount all his previous success.  If we are bowl eligible, there will be plenty of hope for the team in the future, hopefully Bill will learn from his coaching mistakes.  I have not been a fan at all of his coaching decisions thus far, but give me a break. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2013, 10:02:36 PM »
SODJ is just like the kid with the red t-shirt in his gif sig; he just wants some attention.   As in "look at me, I don't like our coach because he's losing".  :runaway:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
jackstack, shut up

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »
This admittedly crap KState squad is still better than most of the teams that played before Snyder.  It also has plenty of future potential, the team is improving, coaching still needs to improve, but this year doesn't discount all his previous success.  If we are bowl eligible, there will be plenty of hope for the team in the future, hopefully Bill will learn from his coaching mistakes.  I have not been a fan at all of his coaching decisions thus far, but give me a break:D

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
Briles has inherited two bad situations.

He took over at Houston after the dumpster fire our current OC left behind and played a non-conference schedule that Snyder would have dropped like a plate of whipped butter or changed faster than moving the team to the shady side of the plane on a trans-continental flight through multiple time zones (Oregon, Alabama, Michigan, Miss. State, Oklahoma State and Miami).  With TCU, Louisville, Southern Miss (when they were good), Central Florida (thank you again EMAW sniper) and East Carolina on the conference schedule in the first 2-3 years, and did well. 

Then walked into another dumpster fire at Baylor playing against a Big 12 South schedule and 4 BCS school non-conference games in his first 2 years. 

catzacker

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2013, 08:31:45 AM »
i haven't read this thread, so i'm assuming this point has been made - but bill has walked into two bad situations (both at the same school) and won a bcs conference championship. 

briles has yet to win anything of substance.  moving forward, who would I take?  Briles.  But that doesn't diminish what Bill has done.  Bill's accomplishments (to this point) are remarkably better than Briles. 

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2013, 08:53:34 AM »
Based on the talent differential, Baylor should have walked away from Saturday's game 20 or 30 point winners.  That the game was very much undecided with 2 minutes left tells me that someone made good use of their inferior talent.  That's coaching. 

Talent differential speaks to recruiting, which is a separate issue.  Briles, directly or indirectly, recruits better talent that LHCBS.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
moving forward, who would I take?  Briles.  But that doesn't diminish what Bill has done.  Bill's accomplishments (to this point) are remarkably better than Briles. 

This is the right answer.  We should usher Bill into retirement and name a stadium after him or something, and hire Briles.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
moving forward, who would I take?  Briles.  But that doesn't diminish what Bill has done.  Bill's accomplishments (to this point) are remarkably better than Briles. 

This is the right answer.  We should usher Bill into retirement and name a stadium after him or something, and hire Briles.

Let's revisit this in 10 years.  Then, it will be:  LHC Bill Snyder, Hall of Famer, five-time conference coach of the year, three-time national coach of the year, four-time conference champion; national championship in 2014 (first year of playoffs) and playoff semifinalists in 2015.

Briles:  Best BU coach since Graft Taft; got BU share of conference in 2013.  Then, team underperformed in 2014, finishing 6-3 (and tied for second to champ KSU), and then lack of player discipline and recruiting scandals led to his eventual departure.  Produced the best run of BU football since the 1970's, but no Hall of Famer.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »

Let's revisit this in 10 years.  Then, it will be:  LHC Bill Snyder, Hall of Famer, five-time conference coach of the year, three-time national coach of the year, four-time conference champion; national championship in 2014 (first year of playoffs) and playoff semifinalists in 2015.

Briles:  Best BU coach since Graft Taft; got BU share of conference in 2013.  Then, team underperformed in 2014, finishing 6-3 (and tied for second to champ KSU), and then lack of player discipline and recruiting scandals led to his eventual departure.  Produced the best run of BU football since the 1970's, but no Hall of Famer.

Not if we "fire" Bill now and hire Briles.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »

Let's revisit this in 10 years.  Then, it will be:  LHC LHC Bill Snyder, Hall of Famer, five-time conference coach of the year, three-time national coach of the year, four-time conference champion; national championship in 2014 (first year of playoffs) and playoff semifinalists in 2015.

It is said Briles will never take a job outside of the state of Texas - I am relatively sure Ark offered him and Tenn prolly got involved to some degree.  Briles has the potential to become the Snyder of Waco unless UT or ATM come after him and I could see him turning down ATM if he has BU rolling like they are now and the Big 12 is stable.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »

Let's revisit this in 10 years.  Then, it will be:  LHC LHC Bill Snyder, Hall of Famer, five-time conference coach of the year, three-time national coach of the year, four-time conference champion; national championship in 2014 (first year of playoffs) and playoff semifinalists in 2015.

It is said Briles will never take a job outside of the state of Texas - I am relatively sure Ark offered him and Tenn prolly got involved to some degree.  Briles has the potential to become the Snyder of Waco unless UT or ATM come after him and I could see him turning down ATM if he has BU rolling like they are now and the Big 12 is stable.

Hmmm... move K-State to Texas?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »

Let's revisit this in 10 years.  Then, it will be:  LHC LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder, Hall of Famer, five-time conference coach of the year, three-time national coach of the year, four-time conference champion; national championship in 2014 (first year of playoffs) and playoff semifinalists in 2015.

Hmmm... move K-State to Texas?
that option will be on the table when Conference Armageddon fires back up

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
Watching goEMAW defend Snyder against Dax feels like something out of the twilight zone.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Watching goEMAW defend Snyder against Dax feels like something out of the twilight zone.

:popcorn:
@Trogdor_gE

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
only because he didn't have a Bohl, Brown & Gundy > Snyder.  :Carl:

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »

Another way to think about the question:
Could Briles win two conference championships at K-State, starting in 1989 and coaching until now.  No way in hell.

Would Snyder have built what he did at K-State if he had been hired at Baylor.  Yes.

This will become more clear as time goes on.  Briles is a good coach, but he is not at the same level of Snyder.  Or Stoops.  I don't think he is at the same level of Patterson, either.  If I had to pick between Patterson and Briles as my coach for the next 15 years, I would pick Patterson.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

Could Briles win two conference championships at K-State, starting in 1989 and coaching until now.  No way in hell.

Would Snyder have built what he did at K-State if he had been hired at Baylor.  Yes.

This will become more clear as time goes on.  Briles is a good coach, but he is not at the same level of Snyder.  Or Stoops.  I don't think he is at the same level of Patterson, either.  If I had to pick between Patterson and Briles as my coach for the next 15 years, I would pick Patterson.
I think Briles is currently the best coach in the conference. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »

I think Briles is currently the best coach in the conference.
SD and I tend to disagree; it's Mack.  ;)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
The list of coaches to have owned Snyder is pretty short.  Osborne, McCartney, Barnett went 4-2, Stoops, Gundy is 2-1, Leach, Briles currently 3-1. 

Only Osborne, McCartney and Stopps have had clearly superior programs at concurrent times.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.