Author Topic: Briles > Snyder  (Read 194702 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Briles > Snyder
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2013, 01:18:13 PM »
Do we really want to talk about taking a clearly superior team into a game and barely hanging on to win?

I can think of numerous times when Snyder took a clearly superior team into a stadum and barely won.   I can think of 2 games during the 1998 season alone, and that doesn't include the two losses that year.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
Do we really want to talk about taking a clearly superior team into a game and barely hanging on to win?

I can think of numerous times when Snyder took a clearly superior team into a stadum and barely won.   I can think of 2 games during the 1998 season alone, and that doesn't include the two losses that year.

WHAT  :Wha:

THAT NEVER HAPPENS TO ANYONE EVER.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
seems like a pretty straightforward argument here. snyder has accomplished more, is the better coach if you consider everything ever. briles is the better coach right now. will take.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
Watching goEMAW defend Snyder against Dax feels like something out of the twilight zone.
only because he didn't have a Bohl, Brown & Gundy > Snyder.  :Carl:

Another way to think about the question:
Could Briles win two conference championships at K-State, starting in 1989 and coaching until now.  No way in hell.

Would Snyder have built what he did at K-State if he had been hired at Baylor.  Yes.

This will become more clear as time goes on.  Briles is a good coach, but he is not at the same level of Snyder.  Or Stoops.  I don't think he is at the same level of Patterson, either.  If I had to pick between Patterson and Briles as my coach for the next 15 years, I would pick Patterson.
I think Briles is currently the best coach in the conference. 

Hmmm, good discussion topic. Are talking like, who should win coach of the year this year, or who is going to have the best career when they retire?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
The list of coaches to have owned Snyder is pretty short.  Osborne, McCartney, Barnett went 4-2, Stoops, Gundy is 2-1, Leach, Briles currently 3-1. 

Only Osborne, McCartney and Stopps have had clearly superior programs at concurrent times.

I went and looked, and it's pretty ugly.  Stoops, Leach, Gundy and Briles are a combined 21-4 head to head against Snyder.

By any measure, that's getting dominated.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
Snyder's entire career at K-State has pretty much been smoke and mirrors.  Everyone outside of Butthurtville got the memo years ago.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »

Hey, Dax, I was referring to Snyder's coaching job as being pretty good to hang with Baylor, not criticizing Briles for letting an inferior team hang around. 

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »
Snyder's entire career at K-State has pretty much been smoke and mirrors.  Everyone outside of Butthurtville got the memo years ago.

16 of 17, tho.  :billdance:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »

The entire Mangino era at ku was nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »

The entire Mangino era at ku was nothing but smoke and mirrors.

12-1 Orange Bowl, tho

catzacker

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
 :bwpopcorn:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »

The entire Mangino era at ku 2007 season was nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »
seems like a pretty straightforward argument here. snyder has accomplished more, is the better coach if you consider everything ever. briles is the better coach right now. will take.

Briles has the better team this season.  So, if Snyder has a better team next season, does that mean Snyder is a better coach?  And, does that mean that Gene Chizick was the best coach the year he won the national championship?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »

Briles has the better team this season.  So, if Snyder has a better team next season, does that mean Snyder is a better coach?  And, does that mean that Gene Chizick was the best coach the year he won the national championship?

yes, yes, and yes.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »

You're so cute when you try to talk KU football

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »

yes, yes, and yes.

OK, well at least I understand your criteria.  Most people consider the question presented in terms of a longer time frame, but that is not the style on this board.  It does make the analysis a little easier , though.

Of course, you also understand that this makes oscar Weber a better coach than Frank Martin or Bob Huggins or Lon Kruger......and the same as Bill Self.  I'm so glad to know that everybody who is trashing Snyder under this criteria will be applauding Weber.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
oscar was big 12 coach of the year, last year

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
I find it hilarious that people are answering Dax' 3-1 talking point with Snyder's number of Big 12 championships and COY awards, as if Briles has been coaching against Snyder for 20 years.

Every single person in this thread, steffy being the exception, would trade Snyder in for Art right now. Snyder has had a great career, Briles is now a better coach. How in the hell could anyone reasonably debate this?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
Here's how I'd look at it. By the time they retire, this is the ranked list of who will have accomplished the most:

1. Stoops
2. Brown
3. Briles
4. Snyder
5. Gundy
No one else will be close.

Kingsbury may very well end up on that list, but it's way too early to tell.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
Hmmm, good discussion topic. Are talking like, who should win coach of the year this year, or who is going to have the best career when they retire?
i'm talking about who i would want coaching my team for the next 5 years.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »
Here's how I'd look at it. By the time they retire, this is the ranked list of who will have accomplished the most:

1. Stoops
2. Brown
3. Briles
4. Snyder
5. Gundy

I think Briles could win a natty at a higher profile school, but i don't think he will get one at Baylor if he decides to be baylors Snyder.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »

1. Stoops
2. Brown
3. Briles
4. Snyder
5. Gundy

I think Briles could win a natty at a higher profile school, but i don't think he will get one at Baylor if he decides to be baylors Snyder.

You do realize it will be easier for him after this season, right? For all intents and purposes the Big 12 champ will get a shot at the national championship

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »
I find it hilarious that people are answering Dax' 3-1 talking point with Snyder's number of Big 12 championships and COY awards, as if Briles has been coaching against Snyder for 20 years.

Every single person in this thread, steffy being the exception, would trade Snyder in for Art right now. Snyder has had a great career, Briles is now a better coach. How in the hell could anyone reasonably debate this?

No, I said we need to revisit in 10 years; at that time it will be clear who better coach was and currently is.  Why don't you take briles and snyders conference record during Snyder 2.0?  Seems like fair comparison.  Snyder will have more wins.......even after this year.  Snyder is 22-15 and briles is 17-19. Briles had the hèisman trophy winner and still finished behind Snyder in 2011.  This isn't even close.  You dramatically under appreciate Snyder and overvalue briles, but hey that knee jerk reaction is sooo this board.  Briles is a good coach but I think there are going to be problems long term.  His teams do not show a great amount of discipline and his approach depends on having better athletes.  Briles has really scored with some receivers and seastrunk, but I doubt he will always have the best athletes in the big 12.  Ut and ou are down right now, but when they get back to usual and dont think briles can have much success with his style.  He won't change his style, and that style sucks unless you have superstars at the skill positions.  Plus, I think there will be some discipline and recruiting issues long-term.  The way they handled the Dixon assault is telling.....completely swept under the rug.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »
Let's talk about discipline and attention to detail for a bit, and then let's roll our 2013 KSU Qhatz into the discussion.   

Turnovers, penalties, bad angles, poor clock management, terrible footwork at QB, terrible technique in the secondary and on and on and on . . .

We really gonna talk about Art Briles and Baylor lacking discipline?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
there are many different things about coaching that really matter when examining a coach and how their teams perform in the trenches.  i feel most of those things have been ignored in this thread.

criteria #1, patriotism.  is the coach a true patriot?  list examples.
criteria #2, america.  how does the coach spend his/her 4th of july holiday?
criteria #3, the red white and blue.  does the coach speak any foreign languages?  if so, why?
criteria #4, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  how does this coach pursue happiness?  vacations at the lake with a bbq and smores like americans do?
criteria #5, these colors don't bleed.  does the coach know the meaning of this term and if not, what term do they use to exprese america's global dominance?

go cats

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.