Author Topic: Briles > Snyder  (Read 194538 times)

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Briles > Snyder
« Reply #1350 on: March 15, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
this is why MiR's "the people responsible are all gone, you're punishing the wrong people" is wrong
what they have down there is a culture extending beyond a coaching staff or UP and it should be extinguished

Since Starr, McCaw, Briles and those other people were fired they certainly can't be accused of inaction.

no one accused anyone (except the ncaa) of inaction

MIR is one of the best at re-creating history.  I guess when you are wrong that much, and never admit it, you get lots of practice.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 15, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
well, MiR is right- baylor did fire some people.  i just don't think that they went far enough

the 2003 stuff was terrible and they were punished appropriately
today's ncaa has lost all power it once had and can't or won't do anything to punish programs who break the rules

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 15, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
The higher-ups at the NCAA know the NCAA is on the verge of becoming obsolete/irrelevant, so they are definitely trying to avoid rocking the boat.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 15, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
doing nothing further solidifies their worthlessness

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 15, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
doing nothing further solidifies their worthlessness
nailed it
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 15, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
For me, it's clear that the powers in Baylor did no where near enough to fix the issues at Baylor.  Firing a lame duck coach, getting rid of his buddy AD, and removing the figure head Starr was "something" just for appearance sake.  If they had actually worked for real change they wouldn't have one of their premier program's coaches saying to fight people if they questioned the legitimate issues going on down there (and that super weird uncomfortable apology later).  You see their fan base is still attached to the culture they've created and it's not getting better. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 15, 2017, 11:01:18 PM »
For me, it's clear that the powers in Baylor did no where near enough to fix the issues at Baylor.  Firing a lame duck coach, getting rid of his buddy AD, and removing the figure head Starr was "something" just for appearance sake.  If they had actually worked for real change they wouldn't have one of their premier program's coaches saying to fight people if they questioned the legitimate issues going on down there (and that super weird uncomfortable apology later).  You see their fan base is still attached to the culture they've created and it's not getting better.

You want them sanctioned because their fans are fans? There isn't a college fan base in the country that wouldn't behave like Penn State, Baylor, KU, or USC fans would. I know it's cool on here to not care but many college sports fans view their school/program with the same reverence as they would a family member. When an institution behaves reprehensibly there will always be a sector of fans that will deny and obfuscate, after all the school they've devoted most if not all of their lives to could never behave in such a way. These people will always be the most vocal because they have the strongest feelings about their school.

If something like this happened at K-State I would be furious if others attributed the viewpoint and behaviors of kstatefans.com posters to the culture of Kansas State University. It's a bullshit trick to lord some superiority complex over others. We have many people who would respond the exact same way.

I would like to know from you or anyone else what the NCAA can do to fix the issues at Baylor. I view the issue at Baylor as one of how women are viewed and treated, and I don't think that issue is at all unique to Baylor even though I do think the private and highly religious culture feeds the issue even more than at a public university. So if you view this as the issue tell me how the NCAA or the Big 12 Conference fixes that? My issue with nearly everyone posting about this is that what people really want is punishment and not something truly cultural changing that makes Baylor University a safer place for women.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Briles > Snyder
« Reply #1357 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:30 PM »
that last sentence is very spot-on and frankly bothers the hell out of me.  the underlying "oh good baylor will suck now" sentiment that MANY express under the guise of truly giving a crap is very gross

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 15, 2017, 11:47:54 PM »

You want them sanctioned because their fans are fans? There isn't a college fan base in the country that wouldn't behave like Penn State, Baylor, KU, or USC fans would. I know it's cool on here to not care but many college sports fans view their school/program with the same reverence as they would a family member. When an institution behaves reprehensibly there will always be a sector of fans that will deny and obfuscate, after all the school they've devoted most if not all of their lives to could never behave in such a way. These people will always be the most vocal because they have the strongest feelings about their school.

If something like this happened at K-State I would be furious if others attributed the viewpoint and behaviors of kstatefans.com posters to the culture of Kansas State University. It's a bullshit trick to lord some superiority complex over others. We have many people who would respond the exact same way.

I would like to know from you or anyone else what the NCAA can do to fix the issues at Baylor. I view the issue at Baylor as one of how women are viewed and treated, and I don't think that issue is at all unique to Baylor even though I do think the private and highly religious culture feeds the issue even more than at a public university. So if you view this as the issue tell me how the NCAA or the Big 12 Conference fixes that? My issue with nearly everyone posting about this is that what people really want is punishment and not something truly cultural changing that makes Baylor University a safer place for women.

A lot of what you're saying can fit with in the themes of my post.  First we've discussed how rules from the NCAA's arsenal.  It isn't a stretch to say Baylor had zero institutional control when it allowed it's football team to run rampant on the community.  I found this nice piece from George Mason on the "lack of institutional control" charge that shows it's pretty non-descriptive on what's required.  GM And this from the NCAA.  NCAA
I fully grant that the lack of institutional control has previously only been used in cases of recruiting and competitive advantage.  But this is the type of nightmare scenario where the NCAA must find ways to apply rules in new ways, and if needed stretch them to the last letter in the rule.  I would point to the NCAA's bylaws on ethical conduct and see there is room there to say that Baylor not just violated those rules but flaunted them for some time and obstructed necessary investigations.  The  Big 12 also has bylaws (page 43) which could have the necessary elastic verbiage to confront this unprecedented issue.

I appreciate your comments that a lot of fan bases would react this way.  But I feel that many wouldn't, and most would not if they were given a better signal from the university Admin (regents, deans, faculty) to say this is wrong what has happened, and we will have an open and honest discussion about what happened.  I'm not sure where this lies between Baylor's reaction and Duke's reaction after the LAX scandal.  But what we know is that the personnel at Baylor conducted their investigations in darkness, hid evidence, sequestered reports, and created conspiracy theories impede legitimate investigations.  At that point we so altered what a fan bases reaction could be, it's hard to say how things could have played out if there was proper work done.  It reminds me of Trump fans believing anything that comes from his mouth instead of the hard work from the 4th estate and even our own intelligence services.  I agree there are certain cultural influences that make this an uphill battle.  But that work doesn't need to be hindered by men like Starr tearing up the tracks in front of the investigation's train. 

Finally I think every responsible party has failed the women of Baylor.  The justice system failed by not adequately investigating the team and punishing all involved.  The school is pretty obvious too.  The conference and the NCAA failed by not caring enough about the "amateur sportsmanship" which is supposed to be the bedrock of their organization.  After Penn State they should have included direct language about various types of abuse and made it black letter that your institution must help control these types of situations as well.  But they should have stepped in and stretched sportsmanship to include not raping the crap out of your fans.  If the school can't control a player then they shouldn't have that player.  If the school can't control a football team, they shouldn't have a football team.  With the issues at play, and the info that had to be out there, I have no qualms about players who didn't report these abuses losing a year to transfer out of the program.  Players directly involved with the attacks and cover ups should be done playing forfeiting their remaining eligibility.  Players who cooperate with an investigation can earn their status back by assisting in any investigations and completing any courses the title ix office deems necessary.  With Baylor covering this up at an institutional level it's clear they are not responsible enough an athletics department.  All of the administrators or coaches involved in the cover up should lose their jobs and be hit with a show cause.  I'm not sure if that even goes far enough and if a school like Baylor shouldn't just lose it's entire athletics program. Of course the outside players and coaches should be allowed to transfer without penalty of wait times. 

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 16, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »
If KSU did this I would stop attending games of any sort. I hope there are Baylor fans that feel the same way.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 16, 2017, 06:33:30 AM »

It would appear that the folks at Baylor are unwilling to change so they needs some more forceful persuasion

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 16, 2017, 07:13:16 AM »
I think when the evidence is as damning that an institution would from the top down, allow that much widespread law-breaking, the death penalty would stop other universities from considering doing the same in the future. 

Otherwise, why wouldn't a school set up another situation like that?  How is Baylor not better off than they would have been?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 16, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »

It would appear that the folks at Baylor are unwilling to change so they needs some more forceful persuasion

I've never once said that they don't, I just don't think the NCAA or the Big 12 are the entities to do that. Their issue isn't limited to simply an athletics issue so why rely on an athletics institution to provide the remedy? edn is talking about a lack of institutional control and I don't disagree but again that hits at punishment, not reform.

I've said before that this should be handed by their accrediting organization and the state of Texas and the federal government if they are receiving funds from these agencies. FWIW the accrediting organization has chimed in and they did less than the Big 12 did.
http://www.educationdive.com/news/baylor-louisville-placed-on-accreditation-probation/431849/
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/11/accreditation-group-gives-warning-to-baylor-university.html

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 16, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »

When this sort of thing happens at a school, they should just get rid of football (or whatever sport is the culprit) entirely. I would want K-State to eliminate football if the team were raping women left and right because the school thought the program was important enough that there shouldn't be consequences.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »

I've never once said that they don't, I just don't think the NCAA or the Big 12 are the entities to do that. Their issue isn't limited to simply an athletics issue so why rely on an athletics institution to provide the remedy? edn is talking about a lack of institutional control and I don't disagree but again that hits at punishment, not reform.

I've said before that this should be handed by their accrediting organization and the state of Texas and the federal government if they are receiving funds from these agencies. FWIW the accrediting organization has chimed in and they did less than the Big 12 did.
http://www.educationdive.com/news/baylor-louisville-placed-on-accreditation-probation/431849/
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/11/accreditation-group-gives-warning-to-baylor-university.html

SACS isn't gonna do crap. They never do. The state of Texas can't do that much because Baylor's private, not to mention our legislature is run by reactionary morons who are just as liable to blame the victim as they are to actually step up enforcement on Baylor. The feds aren't gonna do crap because Baylor's private + Trump doesn't give a eff about the welfare of women. So who exactly is supposed to police Baylor here? Because they sure as crap have demonstrated that they can't do it themselves. While I agree with you in that the narrative surrounding this conversation is gross and is not actually centered on making Waco a safer place for women, I think we can both agree that there's a serious cultural issue there that needs to be addressed. That's not gonna happen if any agency who could conceivably step in and force a change at Baylor keeps punting responsibility for enforcement to someone else.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
when winning at all costs becomes the priority of the university, you get rid of the incentive to win.  this isn't rocket science, good God.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
Take a portion of the 25% of funds being withheld and fund more positions either within Baylor, the Big 12, or each institution to help with title IX training and compliance.  While Baylor is far and away the most egregious offender, there is pretty clear evidence at KU, K-State and elsewhere that Universities either don't know enough or just aren't following the proper procedures.  Once Baylor does whatever they need to do to stop the funds from being withheld, the rest of the schools split the costs. 

^I think there is a minuscule chance of that happening because it may open the Big 12 to lawsuits that are currently contained to member institutions but I would like to see it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 16, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
when winning at all costs becomes the priority of the university, you get rid of the incentive to win.  this isn't rocket science, good God.

I'm starting to think that some of you aren't reading anything about what's happening there or you're just too stuck on your own point to see anything else. I just posted a link that stated 17 out of the last 125 reported incidences on their campus involves football players, yet you RATM and ChiCat are still looking for solutions within athletics. WTF does "winning at all costs" have to do with the other 90% of these cases? You keep mentioning football but refuse to acknowledge all those football decision makers are long gone. What about the other 90%, guys?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 16, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Are the perpetrators of the other 90% of the cases getting charged with crimes, or is the school trying to cover those crimes up, too?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 16, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »
Also, when a football team that composes 0.5% of the student population is involved in 14% of the reported incidences campus-wide, I think there is probably a pretty significant problem with that program.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 16, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
Are the perpetrators of the other 90% of the cases getting charged with crimes, or is the school trying to cover those crimes up, too?

The honor code permits accusers to be subjected to discipline.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 16, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
Also, when a football team that composes 0.5% of the student population is involved in 14% of the reported incidences campus-wide, I think there is probably a pretty significant problem with that program.

Not 14% 10% I'd be willing to bet that football players outpace the general student population on most campuses when it comes to assault, football culture.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 16, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »

Not 14% 10% I'd be willing to bet that football players outpace the general student population on most campuses when it comes to assault, football culture.

17/125 is 14%. If a football player were 10 times more likely than a regular student to commit a crime, you would expect 5% of the crimes to be committed by them. The football players are 30 times more likely to be criminals at Baylor than the general student population.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 16, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
well i guess it's time to throw our hands up and conclude that there's just nothing we can do

and the focus on athletics, specifically football, on this football board, isn't so weird.  but if you want to deliver the message to the hell of a lot more than 17 families affected by football players actions that punishing the football program won't help fix their problem, go for it.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 16, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
MiR I think you're a bit off track with what people want.  I think many posters here have said the admin that covered these things up, including those who pushed honor code violations are part of a larger conspiracy to conceal a felony and should be criminally liable.  Yes Title IX offices should be involved for the other 90% of issues.  But when one specific body of schools citizens is directly responsible for 10%(!) of cases they should be smashed, same as if it were a frat raping the hell out of campus.  I don't recall your response to the SAE thread here, but wouldn't you support the frat being kick off campus/dissolved when they have repeated violations? 

Further I think that when a premiere face of your institution is given the death penalty that sends a clear message to johnny frat guy that if well recognized football player can't get away with it, he is probably going to get it too, and maybe worse since he doesn't have that football association for protection.