Author Topic: Briles > Snyder  (Read 194850 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Briles > Snyder
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
there are many different things about coaching that really matter when examining a coach and how their teams perform in the trenches.  i feel most of those things have been ignored in this thread.

criteria #1, patriotism.  is the coach a true patriot?  list examples.
criteria #2, america.  how does the coach spend his/her 4th of july holiday?
criteria #3, the red white and blue.  does the coach speak any foreign languages?  if so, why?
criteria #4, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  how does this coach pursue happiness?  vacations at the lake with a bbq and smores like americans do?
criteria #5, these colors don't bleed.  does the coach know the meaning of this term and if not, what term do they use to exprese america's global dominance?

go cats

I would guess Briles values the state of Texas (like most weird Texas people) over the good ole US of A.

And frankly, I don't like that.

Not.

One.

Bit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
I find it hilarious that people are answering Dax' 3-1 talking point with Snyder's number of Big 12 championships and COY awards, as if Briles has been coaching against Snyder for 20 years.

Every single person in this thread, steffy being the exception, would trade Snyder in for Art right now. Snyder has had a great career, Briles is now a better coach. How in the hell could anyone reasonably debate this?

No, I said we need to revisit in 10 years; at that time it will be clear who better coach was and currently is.  Why don't you take briles and snyders conference record during Snyder 2.0?  Seems like fair comparison.  Snyder will have more wins.......even after this year.  Snyder is 22-15 and briles is 17-19. Briles had the hèisman trophy winner and still finished behind Snyder in 2011.  This isn't even close.  You dramatically under appreciate Snyder and overvalue briles, but hey that knee jerk reaction is sooo this board.
I don't compare the records of the two the last 4 years for the same reason I wouldn't compare Briles' first 4 years at Baylor to Snyder's first 4 years at Kansas State. The situations aren't the same so what is gained by comparing the records?

I also love how you concluded that I dramatically underappreciated Snyder and overvalued Briles. Where did I place a value on either of them for you to figure that out?

You and landon/timhawk have to be the two worst posters on this board when it comes to logic and conclusions.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »
there are many different things about coaching that really matter when examining a coach and how their teams perform in the trenches.  i feel most of those things have been ignored in this thread.

criteria #3, the red white and blue.  does the coach speak any foreign languages?  if so, why?
criteria #4, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  how does this coach pursue happiness?  vacations at the lake with a bbq and smores like americans do?
criteria #5, these colors don't bleed.  does the coach know the meaning of this term and if not, what term do they use to exprese america's global dominance?

go cats

I would guess Briles values the state of Texas (like most weird Texas people) over the good ole US of A.

Not.

One.

Bit.

yup.  they fly their own flag at the same height as old glory down there.   only state in the union allowed to do so.  i wonder why? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »
Plus, I think there will be some discipline and recruiting issues long-term.  The way they handled the Dixon assault is telling.....completely swept under the rug.
LOL, I guess some fans only see what they want to with Snyder.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »

go cats

Not.

One.

Bit.

yup.  they fly their own flag at the same height as old glory down there.   only state in the union allowed to do so.  i wonder why?

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »

go cats

Not.

One.

Bit.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

wow, someone that actually thinks isn't a reverse truth website.  hey buddy- news for you:  plenty of texans flags fly at the same level as old glory and it's legal down there.  i have to wonder though, why are you defending the practice?  been on any out of country vacations lately, pedro?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
I find it hilarious that people are answering Dax' 3-1 talking point with Snyder's number of Big 12 championships and COY awards, as if Briles has been coaching against Snyder for 20 years.

Every single person in this thread, steffy being the exception, would trade Snyder in for Art right now. Snyder has had a great career, Briles is now a better coach. How in the hell could anyone reasonably debate this?
[/quote
No, I said we need to revisit in 10 years; at that time it will be clear who better coach was and currently is.  Why don't you take briles and snyders conference record during Snyder 2.0?  Seems like fair comparison.  Snyder will have more wins.......even after this year.  Snyder is 22-15 and briles is 17-19. Briles had the hèisman trophy winner and still finished behind Snyder in 2011.  This isn't even close.  You dramatically under appreciate Snyder and overvalue briles, but hey that knee jerk reaction is sooo this board.
I don't compare the records of the two the last 4 years for the same reason I wouldn't compare Briles' first 4 years at Baylor to Snyder's first 4 years at Kansas State. The situations aren't the same so what is gained by comparing the records?

I also love how you concluded that I dramatically underappreciated Snyder and overvalued Briles. Where did I place a value on either of them for you to figure that out?

You and landon/timhawk have to be the two worst posters on this board when it comes to logic and conclusions.

You are right: it is not logical to compare ghe last 4 years but it is very logical to compare based on last weekend or the first half of this season.  Snyder and briles weren't starting from the exact place four years ago, but pretty close.  It is at least a much better comparison than one game or half a season.

My logic is plenty fine; you just don't like my perspective, son.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »

may not be the best word choice here, lacey...  :sdeek:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

[/quote

You are right: it is not logical to compare ghe last 4 years but it is very logical to compare based on last weekend or the first half of this season.  Snyder and briles weren't starting from the exact place four years ago, but pretty close.  It is at least a much better comparison than one game or half a season.

...SON!!!!!!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »

may not be the best word choice here, lacey...  :sdeek:

Take the moronic rambling from the village idiot with a grain of salt.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »

Art Briles: 'We looked death in the face'

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Tuesday October 15, 2013

Every practice deals with situational work, but there was one situation Baylor hasn’t been in until this past weekend.

A close, competitive game.

After winning their first four games by an average of 54.2 points, the Bears found themselves trailing at Kansas State 25-21 heading into the fourth quarter. It was a only matter of time before Baylor would find itself in a struggle, and they came through, scoring two fourth-quarter touchdowns to win 35-25.

“The thing we did through the first four, five weeks is we practiced for a game,” Art Briles said at his weekly press conference. “That’s why I’m saying we’re still in the infant stages of our season, because that was the first complete game we’ve played.

“We’ve been practicing for those scenarios, because we haven’t been able to do them up to this point. It’s all changed now, but we were ready when the time game.”

It’s a situation Oregon often finds itself in. A year ago, the Ducks played one game that was decided by one score: a 17-14 loss against Stanford. This year, quarterback Marcus Mariota took his first fourth-quarter snap this past weekend, when Washington gave the Ducks a challenge. Like Baylor, Oregon powered through the fourth for a win.

That was the biggest takeaway for Briles from the K-State game. The Wildcats outscored Baylor 15-0 in the third quarter and had a blocked punt. The Bears finally faced some adversity, and they overcame it.

“We looked death in the face the other day and said, ‘Not today,’” Briles said. “That’s what we did. What happened to us in the third quarter, if you’re on the road and you get a punt blocked, it’s about 90 percent that you don’t win the football game.
“That’s why I’m saying we showed a lot of maturity as a team. Those things not only deflate what you’ve got going on, but it inflates the crowd and gets them going. It’s critical.” :Wha:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »

Art Briles: 'We looked death in the face'

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Tuesday October 15, 2013

Every practice deals with situational work, but there was one situation Baylor hasn’t been in until this past weekend.

A close, competitive game.

After winning their first four games by an average of 54.2 points, the Bears found themselves trailing at Kansas State 25-21 heading into the fourth quarter. It was a only matter of time before Baylor would find itself in a struggle, and they came through, scoring two fourth-quarter touchdowns to win 35-25.

“The thing we did through the first four, five weeks is we practiced for a game,” Art Briles said at his weekly press conference. “That’s why I’m saying we’re still in the infant stages of our season, because that was the first complete game we’ve played.

“We’ve been practicing for those scenarios, because we haven’t been able to do them up to this point. It’s all changed now, but we were ready when the time game.”

It’s a situation Oregon often finds itself in. A year ago, the Ducks played one game that was decided by one score: a 17-14 loss against Stanford. This year, quarterback Marcus Mariota took his first fourth-quarter snap this past weekend, when Washington gave the Ducks a challenge. Like Baylor, Oregon powered through the fourth for a win.

That was the biggest takeaway for Briles from the K-State game. The Wildcats outscored Baylor 15-0 in the third quarter and had a blocked punt. The Bears finally faced some adversity, and they overcame it.

“We looked death in the face the other day and said, ‘Not today,’” Briles said. “That’s what we did. What happened to us in the third quarter, if you’re on the road and you get a punt blocked, it’s about 90 percent that you don’t win the football game.
“That’s why I’m saying we showed a lot of maturity as a team. Those things not only deflate what you’ve got going on, but it inflates the crowd and gets them going. It’s critical.” :Wha:

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
The list of coaches to have owned Snyder is pretty short.  Osborne, McCartney, Barnett went 4-2, Stoops, Gundy is 2-1, Leach, Briles currently 3-1. 

Only Osborne, McCartney and Stopps have had clearly superior programs at concurrent times.

I went and looked, and it's pretty ugly.  Stoops, Leach, Gundy and Briles are a combined 21-4 head to head against Snyder.

By any measure, that's getting dominated.

You didn't look hard enough because your numbers are false.  They are 18-5 vs. Snyder.  The five wins are:

2000 vs Leach
2003, 2012 vs. Stoops
2011 vs. Briles
2012 vs. Gundy

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »
Do we really want to talk about taking a clearly superior team into a game and barely hanging on to win?

I can think of numerous times when Snyder took a clearly superior team into a stadum and barely won.   I can think of 2 games during the 1998 season alone, and that doesn't include the two losses that year.

By definition, the games we barely won don't include the two losses, so you really did not have to specify that. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
Does Philip Montgomery's name come up for jobs? Seems like it should.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
Briles now 4-1 vs Snyder, with 1 outright Dr. Pepper and 1 shared Dr. Pepper.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

Yeah, Briles ownership of Snyder has surpassed Leach and Stoops. I take some small measure of solace in the fact that at least Baylor is now winning the conference and has become a legit elite contender the last 2 seasons. Also, Snyder has won at Norman 2 straight times.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »

Yeah, Briles ownership of Snyder has surpassed Leach and Stoops. I take some small measure of solace in the fact that at least Baylor is now winning the conference and has become a legit elite contender the last 2 seasons. Also, Snyder has won at Norman 2 straight times.
So did Baylor.  :dunno:  Nevermind... Home/Away

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
I only brought up Snyder winning at Norman because it means Stoops ownership of Snyder seems to have subsided a bit.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »
I only brought up Snyder winning at Norman because it means Stoops ownership of Snyder seems to have subsided a bit.
For some reason Stoops isn't winning like before.  Lose of BV???  :dunno:

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »
Briles is sitting amidst a recruiting hotbed. Can only imagine what DITR Snyder could mine from there.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
Briles is sitting amidst a recruiting hotbed. Can only imagine what DITR Snyder could mine from there.

So?  Everyone in the Big 12, nearly everyone in the SEC, and much of the Pac-12 recruit Texas hard.