Author Topic: Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5616414 times)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #23150 on: January 13, 2017, 01:15:52 PM »
I get Wacky's point.  Why do you continue to complain about recruiting stars?  The staff has a recipe they know and they know the ingredients it takes to make it work.  It's obviously successful.  You guys bitching about stars is the equivalent of going to Buffalo Wild Wings and bitching about the seafood options.
it isn't so much about stars for me as it is talent, it's not a hard science to figure out.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #23151 on: January 13, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
I get Wacky's point.  Why do you continue to complain about recruiting stars?  The staff has a recipe they know and they know the ingredients it takes to make it work.  It's obviously successful.  You guys bitching about stars is the equivalent of going to Buffalo Wild Wings and bitching about the seafood options.
it isn't so much about stars for me as it is talent, it's not a hard science to figure out.

You don't think it's hard?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23152 on: January 13, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »

Snyder 2.0 has won 8-9 games a season with his HS recruits.  He has won more with elite talent transfers or a legacy (Lockett).  Sure, everyone is pretty happy with 8-9 wins but why would you not want elite talent and better results? Hell, I'm sure the staff would prefer more elite talent.

That analogy is absolute nonsense too.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #23153 on: January 13, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »

Snyder 2.0 has won 8-9 games a season with his HS recruits.  He has won more with elite talent transfers or a legacy (Lockett).  Sure, everyone is pretty happy with 8-9 wins but why would you not want elite talent and better results? Hell, I'm sure the staff would prefer more elite talent.

Maybe a bit of a reach on that analogy you are correct.  I think I am more in line with _Fan's thinking on this.  I will start caring about losing 4-5 star recruits when it matters. 

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23154 on: January 13, 2017, 01:44:40 PM »

no, I don't.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23155 on: January 13, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
"I cant believe that one kid decommited from us in January.."-actual quote every year

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23156 on: January 13, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »
Overall, I don't think our staff really knows how to sell recruits on this program. And I think it's mainly a question of effort. We get a decent amount of good high school players, but how much of that is the staff truly responsible for. Wacky brought up Anthony Payne, so let's use him as an example. He's a good HS player, and I agree with Wacky that he's likely to be a good college player, BUT I don't think you can point to him as being an example of a "good recruiting job" by the staff. Way before he had an offer and way before he went to RCS Kansas City and blew up, he was already stated as saying that Kansas State was one of his favorite schools. I mean, the kid had recruited himself here 90% of the way. IMO it's not very impressive when the staff reels him in the last 10%. And I think it's that way for a good many of the kids that end up committing to us. Because when they don't have any other P5 offers or they grow up as a fan of the school, it's not that hard to get them on board.

Now I know that Seiler and Coleman recruit their assess off, but there are a large number of coaches that don't pull the weight they should.
Good point.  Jordan Willis and Sky Thompson are similar to Payne that way.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23157 on: January 13, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »

no, I don't.

I think we are bad at recruiting, but if you're going off pure talent - we looked as talented as A&M to me  :dunno:

I'm not saying that's where we want to be either since they've never won crap, but they get high recruiting rankings

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23158 on: January 13, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »

Maybe a bit of a reach on that analogy you are correct.  I think I am more in line with _Fan's thinking on this.  I will start caring about losing 4-5 star recruits when it matters.

So you'll care when we face someone actually pretty good next year and just can't quite get it done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23159 on: January 13, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
This staff does a good job of identifying players that fit within their system. Generally they prefer to do it with kids that aren't as high profile for one reason or another. Many of those types will never be more than bit players and practice fodder, but these coaches do a great job of getting a better success rate than most programs from those types of players.

We can debate all we want about the reasons they tend to shy away from higher profile players but it's obviously not going to change as long as Snyder is in charge. You can choose to look at that as a positive or a negative but it is what it is and honestly not really worth having a 5-10 page argument every time we lose a player.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23160 on: January 13, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
I guess I don't understand why TCU, though.  We had a much better year, have a better trajectory next year, and have a better overall defense yet still need help at his position.   TCU is a small private school, yes it's in a fun city, but the community is small and fan support is weak.

I'm guessing that Gary and his staff reminded Elijah that Snyder is 100 years old. Several times.

Well, they do have a couple of really nice bowl wins outside of last year, so it's not like TCU is a bad team.  They're probably ranked going into next year.

Also, Hayes would be Walker's position coach.  It's not like he's a real firecracker.

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23161 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »

It matters because we don't win big games. You guys are literally saying that you are okay with being average or a bit above average. That's great if you have a losers mentality, I just figured  fellow Kstate fans would want something better.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23162 on: January 13, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
Maybe, just maybe, if we had just a few more better recruits on the field, we don't lose to WVU and OSU. 

But, some of you people enjoy 9 win seasons. good for you.

I look at the 11 wins we should have had.......

It's alot like basketball......maybe, just maybe, if we had better recruits, we don't drive the lane and jump in the air and throw the ball to 3 Tech players, or miss front end of 1-1's , or throw the ball to imaginary people at then end of games (Maryland, cough cough).
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23163 on: January 13, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »

It matters because we don't win big games. You guys are literally saying that you are okay with being average or a bit above average. That's great if you have a losers mentality, I just figured  fellow Kstate fans would want something better.

THIS.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23164 on: January 13, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
Maybe, just maybe, if we had just a few more better recruits on the field, we don't lose to WVU and OSU. 

But, some of you people enjoy 9 win seasons. good for you.

I look at the 11 wins we should have had.......

It's alot like basketball......maybe, just maybe, if we had better recruits, we don't drive the lane and jump in the air and throw the ball to 3 Tech players, or miss front end of 1-1's , or throw the ball to imaginary people at then end of games (Maryland, cough cough).

And this.

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23165 on: January 13, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »
Maybe we were investing way more time in Fields than Walker

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23166 on: January 13, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
i'm sorry i helped spur v. 20,567 of this debate. i was merely pointing out that this year's class seems thin (not in terms of stars or whatever) but in comparison to our last few hs classes. as a lfbiq'er some of my lack of enthusiasm probably has to do with the fact we didn't recruit much in terms of off skill positions bc we're pretty set there. i'm sure snyder will mold some into solid contributors and do not care about losing guys late in the process or arguing about our lazy, old staff. as others have said, until snyder leaves, it is what it is. just seems like in the past few classes you could point to 4-6 guys who looked like they'd eventually be good players. with these guys, i have no idea, and i also don't see anyone who will play next year. again, lfbiq. someone who really knows the class feel free to tell us who we should be excited about.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23167 on: January 13, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »
The Snyder is old AF factor is real these days and it should be noted in this years recruiting class. Gary P isn't going anywhere any time soon, so I'm sure it does make an impact in decision making by recruits. Sorry if I tucked out today, but we have had some decent classes these last few years minus star power. Walker is an awesome story.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23168 on: January 13, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »
I bet Charlie Strong convinced Shackleford that Snyder wouldn't be around long.  Kindof funny to think about that now, considering.

Offline i poo crabs

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23169 on: January 13, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
I bet Charlie Strong convinced Shackleford that Snyder wouldn't be around long.  Kindof funny to think about that now, considering.

That wasn't why Shackleford went to UT.  UT was his dream school.  They offered late and when they offered, he hated the OL coach.  Once they changed OL coach, he quickly flipped to UT.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #23170 on: January 14, 2017, 03:32:30 AM »
4-5-6 losses a season is the new normal.   Still plenty of holes to fill on the roster.   But the Kstate Super Fans are gonna defend all things Kstate Football until their dying breath. 

Never want better, just accept the Snyder II normal recruiting and the new normal of 4-5-6 losses a year.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23171 on: January 14, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
4-5-6 losses a season is the new normal.   Still plenty of holes to fill on the roster.   But the Kstate Super Fans are gonna defend all things Kstate Football until their dying breath. 

Never want better, just accept the Snyder II normal recruiting and the new normal of 4-5-6 losses a year.

You're going to walk that back next year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23172 on: January 14, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
I'm not sure anyone is saying that they don't want more success. I'd love for K-State to land more 4-5 star players because I know stars matter. I'd also love to be on the national stage more often then every 5-6 years. But I also realize that we have a good program, we are arguable the 3rd best program in the league right now behind only the Oklahomas. I know that Manhattan isn't probably the easiest place in the world to recruit. I know that the age of our HC and staff put limitations on where we can go. Plenty of people can be happy with seasons like we had this past year, but still want to win league titles and compete for a playoff spot.

Wanting better and realizing that we have is pretty solid aren't mutually exclusive things.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23173 on: January 14, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
I keyed in on the two things you said below, _Fan...

I know that the age of our HC and staff put limitations on where we can go.

Wanting better and realizing that we have is pretty solid aren't mutually exclusive things.

While WANTING better and realizing what we have (CURRENTLY) is pretty solid are NOT mutually exclusive...EXPECTING better with what we CURRENTLY have (staff) IS mutually exclusive.  There is no expecting better while simultaneously appreciating what we have, with this staff. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23174 on: January 14, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
I keyed in on the two things you said below, _Fan...

I know that the age of our HC and staff put limitations on where we can go.

While WANTING better and realizing what we have (CURRENTLY) is pretty solid are NOT mutually exclusive...EXPECTING better with what we CURRENTLY have (staff) IS mutually exclusive.  This is no expecting better while simultaneously appreciating what we have, with this staff. 

Fair.

My response to that would be I don't support blowing up what we have or forcing Snyder out to take that risk at this point. I'm more than willing to "put up with" what he's given us in Snyder 2.0 until he's ready to retire, given the results of the last 6-7 years. Tanking to an 04/05 level of success would change my mind of course, but I don't see that in the foreseeable future.