Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4054804 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #26225 on: July 01, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
KSU will be doomed in a 4 super-conference scenario. In all likelihood our days of being in the top tier of college sports are numbered.   This was foretold the day CFB became a national TV cash cow.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26226 on: July 01, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
Remember, the average Phogistinian believes all the conspiracies about K-State keeping them down.   KU is never to blame for anything.  It's the Grapes on the Board of Regents, it's that damn Grape governor, it's those damn Grape legislators, it's the Grapes getting football recruits that would have otherwise gone to KU.    Nothing is ever their fault.    When they took a fool hardy plan to Topeka and attempted to get KU Housing to finance the athletic departments basketball dorm, and the legislators shut it down.  It's a conspiracy.   That's just one example.

So all that tinfoil hat stuff generates deep rooted anger and hate.   K-State people dislike KU because it's a rivalry.   KU people claim they don't hate K-State, but at their core, there's a deep rooted seething cauldron of rage over anything and everything that has to do with K-State.   While we want to see all TSC bros prosper at the end of the day, they want to see K-State destroyed. As they believe it will somehow elevate them beyond being the most mediocre "flagship" school in the country, and move them beyond being a Big 10 reject safety school.   

K-State is the tide that has forever lifted their athletic boat.   Reality and the timeline of history proves it again and again.   But their anger and rage won't allow them to see that, they'd rather see K-State destroyed. 

Sad

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:20:54 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26227 on: July 01, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »
KSU will be doomed in a 4 super-conference scenario. In all likelihood our days of being in the top tier of college sports are numbered.   This was foretold the day CFB became a national TV cash cow.

Like destined to be beat up in a 16 team league or destined for colorado st. status?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26228 on: July 01, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »

Like destined to be beat up in a 16 team league or destined for colorado st. status?
Colorado State status.  Maybe we'll glom onto a collection containing the (significant) portion of schools left out of the big boy table (like boise states, iowa states, military academies, etc.) and schools from the current FCS (like NDSU, etc.) to have a division of CFB that is aired on places like Fox Sports Net/ NBSSports / CBSSports/ESNPU when they don't have real CFB games to air.  Probably a slightly better televised version of what FCS is now.  I am sure that ESPNU or someone will air the playoffs for this division during the weeks between the end of the real CFB regular season and the real playoffs.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26229 on: July 01, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »
Currie and the animal have got this
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26230 on: July 01, 2015, 02:15:49 PM »
I cannot wait to kick chingons ass in real life like I did last time we met up to fight

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26231 on: July 01, 2015, 02:17:45 PM »
I guess it would be cool to beat up losers all the time?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26232 on: July 01, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »
I cannot wait to kick chingons ass in real life like I did last time we met up to fight
Next time we fight will be your last.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26233 on: July 01, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »
I will be one sour grape if major college athletics are taken away from me.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26234 on: July 01, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
I think I'd get over it pretty fast. I'd still go to a couple of games every year and watch K-State when they are televised. I'd probably stop caring about major college football, though. I really only watch it now because of K-State's involvement.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26235 on: July 01, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
Man, just think about our underdog Underwood's making a sweet sixteen run as a 12 seed after winning the Mid-American Heartland Plains Conference.  :love:

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26236 on: July 01, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »
I could live with a 16 conference that has the following:

East:  West Virginia, Iowa State, Cincinnati (maybe Duke instead), Miami, Florida State, Clemson, GT, Louisville
West:  KSU, KU, OU, OSU, TT, UT, TCU, BU

Geography is very important; regional rivalries matter to college football.  This would be a pretty good result for all teams involved, including OU and UT.  We should just sit tight for now.

I agree with this, as long as everyone stays put in the current Big 12. The landscape of college athletics could very well be different in 5-10 years, which could present clearer and more obvious decisions for expansion of recruiting ground, television markets, and general exposure. I just don't want to wait too long, like the Big 12 has been known to do, and be left behind again. Imagine the revenue the Big 12 would be making right now with Nebraska, Missouri, A&M and Colorado (aka Houston, St Louis, Denver markets) with the FOX/ESPN contract.

Adding eastern teams should be based upon gaining a presence in Miami (Miami, FSU), Tampa (FSU), Atlanta (Clemson, GT) to gain more tv sets for revenue, in addition to beating out the SEC for recruits in the southeastern states.

I like how Steffy put Iowa State with a bunch of east coach teams, and then said region rivalries are important, and then said it would be good for all teams involved, and then Havs agreed with him/her  :lol:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26237 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:08 PM »
I've moved past panic and am now in full-on  :popcorn: mode reading landthieves and shaggybevo.  The landthieves flightaware tracking and hypothesizing is high entertainment.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26238 on: July 01, 2015, 07:02:54 PM »
No big east to join this time. Maybe the american?

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26239 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »
I've moved past panic and am now in full-on  :popcorn: mode reading landthieves and shaggybevo.  The landthieves flightaware tracking and hypothesizing is high entertainment.

Man they hate the Big 12.  Hopefully this is just a temper tantrum due to recent suckage, and not representative of their large boosters and a majority of their alums. Otherwise hello Mountain West.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26240 on: July 01, 2015, 07:33:39 PM »
I can't tell if most of you are legitimately worried or not. We will be just fine.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26241 on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »
I had no idea OU fans were so unhappy.  Why? A&M syndrome?  Do they just want to swing their little dicks around to feel important? Just be happy to have one of the nice condos in flea bottom with a great view of the Burnt Orange Keep.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26242 on: July 01, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »
All of the big OU fans I know are basically screw Stoops, screw this conference, change everything.  They don't like their home schedule.  They don't like the Big12/ESPN relationship where ESPN has decided their ratings strategy is to put their best Big12 game at 11am with no other big game competition.

These people aren't random fans.  They are millionaire, 6-figure annual donating, luxury box owning families.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26243 on: July 01, 2015, 08:37:14 PM »
Yeah, because the best move is to go to a conference where you'll have far less power.

I guess they learned nothing from Nebraska, who is now going on nearly 20 years of irrelevance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:51:19 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26244 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:33 PM »

Yeah, because the best move is to go to a conference where you'll have far less power.

I guess they learned nothing from Nebraska, who is now going on nearly 20 years of irrelevance.

I have supreme confidence that OU boosters leaned nothing from NU.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26245 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26246 on: July 01, 2015, 10:36:14 PM »

I have supreme confidence that OU boosters leaned nothing from NU.

OU boosters are nothing like Nebraska boosters.  OU boosters aren't complaining about the power Texas has.  OU has a sea of oil and gas money, 5-figure annual boosters for whom OU football is one of many hobbies, not like Nebraska fans who breathe Nebraska football.  They also have a significant number of larger donors in the same boat.  Boren's problem isn't that they are openly complaining about the Big12.  It apathy. 

Most of them spent decades where their rivals were Texas and Nebraska.  Now neither come to Norman, and one time 5 years from now means nothing.  OU football just isn't as fun to them anymore.  Last year they had 4 11am games in 5 weeks, 3 at home.  There was a big article in the OKC paper about how this is the new norm with ESPN and FS1 in the Big12.  That caused a lot of unhappiness. Sure, if they're winning 10-12 games a year the enthusiasm will come back, but that's not realistic for any program long term.  Home rivalry games carry those seasons, but OU doesn't have those either.

That apathy is now happening when energy prices are down.  Boren's trying to raise money to build up the stadium in this poor energy economic environment while trying to raise another $100mm for a new residential campus program, right after hitting them up for a new, expensive athletic dorm.  He's finding on top of not getting capital donations, a lot of $30k donors are dropping back to $15k because this hobby isn't as fun anymore.  A lot of $200k donors are dropping to $100k just to meet there seat minimums while cutting seats or moving their grand kids seats out of club level.  Companies that used to buy tickets are cutting back as they cut costs.

This round of OU motivation isn't like Nebraska.  Boren's seeing donor money dry up and nothing short of another run of 11 and 12 win seasons changes that with their current home schedules.  Like it or not, nothing short of TCU, Baylor, or KSU winning an NC will change the perception of their home schedules.  It's not boosters picking up the phone to complain.  It's boosters telling him why they aren't giving as much money when he calls them asking for it. He thinks he has to do something to reverse the apathy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:55:22 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26247 on: July 02, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »
There was a window and earnest discussion 5-6-7 years ago or so for Texas and OU to move the RRSO game to the respective campuses.   Ultimately Dr. Pepper and Dallas convinced them to keep the game at the old Cotton Bowl with money and stadium improvements.    So they had a chance to have their biggest rivalry game on their own home field every other year and didn't take it.   Auburn and Alabama put the game back on the respective campuses a number of years ago, and it's pretty much the same way with every other P5 conference rivalry game. 

I've heard all this talk about how Nebraska and OU still wish they played each other, yet I have not seen or heard about any earnest movement to make that happen.  It would seem they're only interested in playing each other as long as the conference schedule requires them to play each other.   

It would also say that if they'd live up to expectations, they'd probably get more prime time kickoff times, but by the time they get later in the season there's bigger Big 12 games than OU vs (X) to put in the later TV slots.   That's their own problem.

I they want to go off into total irrelevance at least insofar as the most densely populated and fastest growing regions of the country go, than by all means they should go to the PAC.    Right now, the only school in the PAC that even causes a tick in the needle in the East, is Oregon. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:22:57 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26248 on: July 02, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
The inherent problem with the BigXII is that members don't seem to value their membership.  Even the shittiest of shitty programs in the big 10 and SEC claim that they're superior because of their affiliation with their conferences. 

I don't know how you fix something intangible like pride or tradition.  Adding more no-name, up-and-coming programs like Colorado State certainly doesn't fix anything, though.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26249 on: July 02, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
The inherent problem with the BigXII is that members don't seem to value their membership.  Even the shittiest of shitty programs in the big 10 and SEC claim that they're superior because of their affiliation with their conferences. 

I don't know how you fix something intangible like pride or tradition.  Adding more no-name, up-and-coming programs like Colorado State certainly doesn't fix anything, though.

I don't think that's true about the Big 10. That's just an SEC thing.